SoCal to EDI or GLA for 16 year old

SelectSys

Well my daughter was invited to visit a friend (met on our last cruise) and her family for a couple of weeks next summer in Scotland. The obvious plan would be #1 LAX-LHR-EDI/GLA on BA as they have the most frequent service in case of missed connections or equipment failures. The alternative would be either on #2 CO (SAN-EWR-EDI) or #3 DL (SAN-ATL-EDI). I am a bit nervous about either of these plans as the likelihood of getting stuck in either EWR or ATL seems quite a bit higher than LHR.

Am I missing anything that would sway one to consider the alternate plans? I am probably thinking too much about this because it is my kid and this would be her first solo international flight without any assistance from the airline as an unaccompanied minor.

Hi SelectSys,

I did ORD LHR EDI as a solo young traveler many years ago, and travel back to the UK from SFO to see relatives fairly often now. It shouldn't be a problem. There is very tight security at UK airports, and many authority figures around to help your daughter if need be. Another advantage of the LHR route is that you would be able to put your daughter on the transatlantic flight yourself, and that might make you feel better. She will have to change terminals at LHR, however. There's a shuttle, and everything is clearly marked. You might want to print out terminal maps, etc from the LHR website for her to take along, with her route all planned out. Leave plenty of time to clear customs and change planes. LHR is VERY big, and everything takes a long time. Your daughter will have a great time. Scotland is beautiful.

Stacy

She will have to change terminals at LHR, however. There's a shuttle, and everything is clearly marked.

If she is flying BA all the way as the OP suggests then she won't. BA domestic and North America routes are all based out of T5 now.

#1 LAX-LHR-EDI/GLA on BA

#2 CO (SAN-EWR-EDI) or

#3 DL (SAN-ATL-EDI)

I would go with either the CO or DL option. That way she would be making the only connection here in the US. She would not have to deal with slight variations in signs, terminals, language, or just the newness of being in UK and trying to make a connection.

I would make sure she has a lot of connection time in what ever airport you choice.

Rich

The obvious plan would be #1 LAX-LHR-EDI/GLA on BA as they have the most frequent service in case of missed connections or equipment failures.
She should definitely do this, IMHO. Connecting BA-BA at LHR will be much easier than connecting either at EWR or ATL, because it's a very easy connection: guaranteed same terminal, and top-rate signage by any standards (certainly miles better than the dreary and drab stuff generally used in the US - I don't know why that isn't changed). And T5 is a nicer, friendlier place than ATL, for sure - probably also than EWR, although I don't know it well.

In addition, connecting at EWR or ATL on the way back would mean that she has to do the immigration/customs/baggage re-check shuffle at the connecting point. Not only does that add to the time needed, it's also more things for someone inexperienced to get wrong. On the LHR connection, she would just clear and collect at LAX and that will be it.

BA has enormous experience of dealing with thousands of youngsters travelling on their own, because of the long history of children from "the colonies" going to boarding school in the UK. So the staff are generally well used to dealing with UMs from the age of 6 or 7 upwards; I was a late starter when I began to be a regular UM at the age of 12. And although a 16-year old would not have to use the UM service (children can travel unaccompanied and unsupervised from the age of 12), it is available on request - see this page - if you and your daughter want that. (However, I would have thought that a responsible 16-year old would probably welcome the opportunity to show that she can successfully do it herself.)

If she is flying BA all the way as the OP suggests then she won't. BA domestic and North America routes are all based out of T5 now.

That is what I was hoping would be the case by next summer. It looks like this is already a reality and she won't need to transfer in and out of T5. Everything in T5 makes the choice even more obvious.

I would go with either the CO or DL option. That way she would be making the only connection here in the US. She would not have to deal with slight variations in signs, terminals, language, or just the newness of being in UK and trying to make a connection.

I would make sure she has a lot of connection time in what ever airport you choice.

Rich

I agree about the connection times. I will be certain to set up something with at least 3 hours. She knows that I like to have lots of contigency built into the schedule when flying on vacation so she won't object to waiting at the airport for a flight.

She has been in the UK and Heathrow on several occassions so I am not too worried about the language. The thing that got me thinking closely about this in the first place is that there is only one flight / day available on DL or CO between the US and EDI. If she misses that flight for any reason, she is either stuck in the airport 2500+ miles from home for 24 hours or is on a potentially wild back up scramble to get to the UK.

I totally agree with the previous poster, if there are problems with the connection, let it be in the US. She can then easily chat with you on her cell phone, if only for moral support.

Good point about the phone. Her current phone is CDMA-based and won't work in Europe. I though about getting her a non-subscription GSM phone for the trip and getting stuck in the airport is another reason.

In addition, connecting at EWR or ATL on the way back would mean that she has to do the immigration/customs/baggage re-check shuffle at the connecting point. Not only does that add to the time needed, it's also more things for someone inexperienced to get wrong. On the LHR connection, she would just clear and collect at LAX and that will be it.

That is a good point that I didn't think about. Having to leave the secure area following customs in a strange airport does add to the complexity. However, dealing with immigration at TBIT at LAX can be a complete zoo depending on the crowd.

However, I would have thought that a responsible 16-year old would probably welcome the opportunity to show that she can successfully do it herself.

You are correct! Most kids, at least mine, can act in responsible and mature manner when required.

Thanks to all! It looks like my daughter will be the first to experience T5 in our immediate family.

BTW - Globaliser, I seem to remember that BA doesn't sell day passes to their lounges. Is this correct?

I seem to remember that BA doesn't sell day passes to their lounges. Is this correct?

Yes, but there is lots to do in T5.

That is what I thought. I haven't really looked to see any pictures of T5, but it must be way better than sitting in the departure lounge of T3 which I find completely abysmal.

Thanks again to all who commented!

Good point about the phone. Her current phone is CDMA-based and won't work in Europe. I though about getting her a non-subscription GSM phone for the trip and getting stuck in the airport is another reason.

That is a good point that I didn't think about. Having to leave the secure area following customs in a strange airport does add to the complexity. However, dealing with immigration at TBIT at LAX can be a complete zoo depending on the crowd.

BTW - Globaliser, I seem to remember that BA doesn't sell day passes to their lounges. Is this correct?

It's a good idea to get her a phone for the trip anyway. But you should impress on her that if she has a travel problem at Heathrow, the airline staff should be her first port of call for information, advice and help.

As she's your daughter, I'm sure that she's someone for whom saying "please" and "thank you" will come naturally; but it will be worth her while remembering to do it. One of the things that Brits react badly to is the all-too-common thing said by Americans: "Gimme a ...". I know it's not regarded as impolite in the US, but it's not very good over here. The importance, of course, is that help (and better help) is usually more forthcoming to someone who is perceived to be polite!

Immigration at TBIT is probably the biggest downside of the itinerary. But I have equally had really bad experiences at ATL, so the difference may not be as great as it might seem. As a US citizen, though, it'll be a lot easier for her than for us dang furriners!

Finally, it is alas true that you can't get day passes to the BA lounges. It's access by status; cabin; or paid membership scheme - and I'm only aware of one scheme that works for BA lounges, namely Qantas Club. T5, though, is way better than T3 - it's like a different world.

Another advantage of connecting in LHR is more options in case the first leg is delayed or the second leg has a problem. There are more ways of getting to EDI from LHR (including train) than from EWR, ATL, etc. if a connection is missed or there's bad weather. And if there's a problem with the flight out of LAX, once she's in the air you have 10 hours to fix the problem from this end.

... But you should impress on her that if she has a travel problem at Heathrow, the airline staff should be her first port of call for information, advice and help.

Agreed. No sense calling Mom or Dad who are both 5000+ miles and 8 time zones away.

... One of the things that Brits react badly to is the all-too-common thing said by Americans: "Gimme a ...". I know it's not regarded as impolite in the US, but it's not very good over here. The importance, of course, is that help (and better help) is usually more forthcoming to someone who is perceived to be polite

It would be impolite in the US to use such language in any service situation as far as I am concerned.

... Immigration at TBIT is probably the biggest downside of the itinerary... As a US citizen, though, it'll be a lot easier for her than for us dang furriners!

It probably is a bit faster for US citizens and resident aliens however the DHS staff is never very cheerful or customer friendly. I have tried to engage these people in a bit of friendly conversation from time to time and rarely if ever do you get a response.

... T5, though, is way better than T3 - it's like a different world.

I hope BA got something for their money!

... There are more ways of getting to EDI from LHR (including train) than from EWR, ATL, etc. if a connection is missed or there's bad weather. And if there's a problem with the flight out of LAX, once she's in the air you have 10 hours to fix the problem from this end.

I would rather her just ride it out in the airport than trying to navigate into London to catch the train going north or some local service with 2 or 3 connections. However, I can't imagine with 10+ flights per day to both EDI and GLA that she would get stuck in Heathrow for too long. I would expect BA service staff would take pity on a single kid travelling alone and work hard to get her onto a flight.

I would rather her just ride it out in the airport than trying to navigate into London to catch the train going north or some local service with 2 or 3 connections. However, I can't imagine with 10+ flights per day to both EDI and GLA that she would get stuck in Heathrow for too long. I would expect BA service staff would take pity on a single kid travelling alone and work hard to get her onto a flight.

I was hurrying when I typed the original reply and it wasn't clear I was trying to be semi-funny. You're right about the numerous LHR-EDI/GLA flights, and that was the main point. I was thinking train is not an option from ATL or EWR! :D

FWIW, my son has flown from LA to Spokane every summer to visit grandparents. He's been doing it on his own since he was 7 or 8. Never had any problems (although once WN let us meet our son at the gate and walk away without any paperwork or ID. They got an earful about that!!)

Well, today was vacation air planning day for me and I learned that BA flights departing the US cannot be accessed with AAdvantage miles. Now I have to deal a more complicated routing for my daughter going through an American hub to get first to LHR and then to EDI.

Any ideas on a backup. I was hoping to use miles/points. I can use delta, marriott, or Amex as a source.

Why not use AA into LHR, that's allowed. The transfer from T3 to T5 isn't exactly tough.

It was already "sold out" today on plan AAhead awards. I don't really want to spend 120k miles for a single coach seat. I'll check more dates...

It was already "sold out" today on plan AAhead awards. I don't really want to spend 120k miles for a single coach seat. I'll check more dates...

Two alternatives

Tijuana on Mexicana to Mexico City, then BA to LHR. Only bad thing-5 hour layover in Mexico City.

Somehow get her to YVR. Then book the BA nonstop to LHR. You CANNOT use AA miles to get her to YVR on the same award ticket. You MUST start in a foreign country to use AA miles on a BA flight to London.

Both bookable with AA miles IF there is availability at the saver rate. This is the "workaround" for using AA miles to fly BA across the pond. Tijuana will most likely have better availability, IF you are comfortable with the 5 hour layover.

Good luck!!!!

Two alternatives

Tijuana on Mexicana to Mexico City, then BA to LHR. Only bad thing-5 hour layover in Mexico City.

Somehow get her to YVR. Then book the BA nonstop to LHR. You CANNOT use AA miles to get her to YVR on the same award ticket. You MUST start in a foreign country to use AA miles on a BA flight to London.

Both bookable with AA miles IF there is availability at the saver rate. This is the "workaround" for using AA miles to fly BA across the pond. Tijuana will most likely have better availability, IF you are comfortable with the 5 hour layover.

Good luck!!!!

Thanks for the ideas. I think I am going to stick to the US options as it gets a bit more complicated trying to route her alone via Mexico or Cananda.

I scanned more dates and found one LAX-LHR-EDI trip for the outbound leg with a return via EDI-LHR-BOS/JFK-LAX. Which airport would you recommend transiting through on the return? I haven't been through BOS in a while, but I remember that international flights involved changing terminals. I have never gone through JFK, but I am assuming that AA has immigration and customs in their terminal. JFK also has more flights to LAX than BOS in case of problems - I am still thinking the airlines will take pity of a 16 year old girl if her original flights are late or cancelled.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I am going to stick to the US options as it gets a bit more complicated trying to route her alone via Mexico or Cananda.

I scanned more dates and found one LAX-LHR-EDI trip for the outbound leg with a return via EDI-LHR-BOS/JFK-LAX. Which airport would you recommend transiting through on the return? I haven't been through BOS in a while, but I remember that international flights involved changing terminals. I have never gone through JFK, but I am assuming that AA has immigration and customs in their terminal. JFK also has more flights to LAX than BOS in case of problems - I am still thinking the airlines will take pity of a 16 year old girl if her original flights are late or cancelled.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JFK

Generally faster immigration than Boston, transit desk is generally better staffed, customs is NEVER backed up. The only problem I find through JFK (and I fly AA in/out of JFK about once a month)-luggage sometimes takes a LOOOOONG time.

The only problem I find through JFK (and I fly AA in/out of JFK about once a month)-luggage sometimes takes a LOOOOONG time.

Of the handful of times I've checked luggage on AA en-route to JFK I've always regretted it...in June I'd flown in from SYD with just a 90min stop at LAX. Despite the priority tags the F/J bags were the last ones onto baggage reclaim. We'd been waiting 45mins :mad: :mad:

Spoilt git.

;)

If I'd managed to keep 1A/K on QF107 across the US I'd have agreed. :p

Alas I had the ignominy of changing to AA @ LAX and then suffering the long baggage waits at the end. 45min wait at baggage claim after a domestic flight is ridiculous... :mad: :mad:

JFK

Generally faster immigration than Boston, transit desk is generally better staffed, customs is NEVER backed up. The only problem I find through JFK (and I fly AA in/out of JFK about once a month)-luggage sometimes takes a LOOOOONG time.

I put a hold on the JFK flight with about a 2.5 hour connection. This should be easy to make.

Are you sure this is going to be good value? Flights either are or will soon be pretty cheap. When in the summer are you thinking about?

I looked on BA.com and AA.com and the ticket is priced at $1600.00 right now which puts a value on the miles at $.0267. These are for travel dates in late July through early August.

It could well be that the price drop for next summer but by the time fares change in a material way it will be too late to get the FF tickets - at least at my status level.

Archived