Extra Tipping Cabin Steward Upon Arrival?

crusinpeg

We address the cabin steward by name, thank them for how great the room is maintained, acknowledge how busy the day of embarkation must be for them and usually end up with a checklist of requests such as....

--Set aside unwanted items from the mini-bar and ask for removal or replacement with items I will use.

--Ask for extra pool towels, bath towels, and hand towels.

--Ask for ice to be kept full.

--Upgraded amenities (bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion)

if not already provided.

--Possibly a few other items, depending on what we find.

Usually all of our requests are quickly met. A few days into the cruise I may say "thank you for taking such good care of us!" and may punctuate the appreciation with $20. I may repeat later in the cruise, it kinda of depends on the length of the cruise, on how much extra I request, the effort expended, and... how generous I may be feeling.

To date I have not adjusted tips downward. Any extra tips I've given as cash.

I do try to treat staff with consideration and respect.

I do complete a satisfaction survey at the end of the cruise.

I have complimented staff by name in a letter when outstanding service is given.

I do not try to overthink how someone may interpret cash as too soon, too much, to sudden or such.

Mike

We tried it once, pre tipping that is, and felt that we may have insulted the steward for he remained rather aloof after that so we won't do that again. But in a case where we wanted that damned duvet removed and substituted with a blanket (which calls for more manual labour on his part in preparing the bed) we did tip him then and there for this special request. He continued to be most attentive after that and we added a further gratuity at the end of the voyage.

We have often wondered how one might be able to convey the point to the steward that the daily "service charge" will not be removed from the account and that there could be a gratuity at the end of the voyage. A bit of a sticky wicket that but is there a means of making that understood without appearing boorish? Perhaps not. Any thoughts?

If we have asked for a lot of extras before the cruise then Ill hand a tip on the first day. Otherwise end of cruise . And usually only about 20 bucks cash above the required added tip unless they have been asked to do a lot of things that are not the norm during the week. My travel buddy wants to personally hand the extra to our room steward and I feel we dont have to hunt him or her down on departure day as they are extremely busy and would rather just leave in the room in an envelope. But no biggy either way. If the extra is warrented during the week then at the end not begining of cruise .

Take a look at Stuart McLean's blog called, "crew office blogspot.

http://crewoffice.blogspot.com/2006_03_12_archive.html

Stuart started his cruise ship career with Princess.

This blog from march of 2006 he talks about tipping.

Stuart's blog is sort of a tell all about his experiences aboard cruise ships.

A good read.

Jay:D

I always tip the steward when I meet them on embarkation day. I always ask them for an egg crate for my bed, to keep the fridge and bar stocked with my favorites, etc.

I remember back when I was 16 working as a bellman at a Sheraton. I worked for tips. I was just a kid with no family and no responsibilities other than to get enough money to take out girls and have a good time. Many, if not most, of these folks are supporting families and they work their tails off for very little.

Once you have worked for tips, you understand for the rest of your life just how important those tips are.

I certainly understand waiting until the end of the cruise to tip and that this is the norm. However, I don't see how handing someone cash who works for tips can be an "insult." If handing me cash is an insult, feel free to insult me all day long! :D

The Monk

Well, we don't "pre-tip" per se, but on embarkation day, we do give the room steward a nice box of See's Candies and ask him to share it with his friends. I believe they appreciate the gesture...

Rick,

We do the same thing. Funny, us Santa Claritians think alike!! We buy 8 of the 1/2 pounders and give them out during our cruise. We also pre-tip sometimes for extra services. Why wait til the end of the cruise when they do something special,,reward them on the spot.:D

We usually leave a $20 for the room steward the first day, as we usually ask for extra pillows, robes, a blanket and extra pool towels. I know the first day is very busy and want them to know we appreciate the extra service.

Then at the end of the week, we will leave more depending on the level of service we received.

If we make special requests, we tip early and on cruises longer than 7 days we tip throughout the cruise. My understanding is they receive their "pay" per cruise, so if you are on a long cruise, I am certain it is appreciated!

Donna

hiya

1st time cruiser here

can someone advise who we have to tip and who get the tips from our automatic tip we are charged every day ?

just want to make sure we dont miss anyone out

thanks in advance

j xx

hiya

1st time cruiser here

can someone advise who we have to tip and who get the tips from our automatic tip we are charged every day ?

thanks in advance

j xx

The Auto tip, if you leave it in place, will take care of most of the minimal tips that should be paid to the ships staff. Tipping over and above would be for exceptional service in any area. So, this extra tipping is totally up to you.

One thing to keep in mind though is tipping a couple of dollars to room service is something that is expected, if you order from room service that is.

Other than the auto tip, any extras you might decide to tip will depend on how you felt about the service and if anything was done above and beyond for your party while onboard.

hiya

1st time cruiser here

thanks in advance

j xx

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

As to tipping the auto tips will be applied directly to your onboard account. Depending on your cabin category it will be $10-$11 per person per day. It is divided among your cabin steward, waiter and assistant waiters. Any additional gratuities - to bar staff, room service, spa personnel - or anyone else you'd like - are at your discretion.

I have read that some people tip their cabin steward when they first arrive. What are your opinions? Good idea or insult?

I'm not talking about anything really extra...maybe just keeping ice in the mini cooler.

Tipping before the service is rendered is a bribe. I would considered it an insult to have someone believe that the only way they will get good service out of me is to bribe me.

I don't tip at the begining just for the sake of doing it. However, as others have said, if I have a particular request (or list of requests) I have tipped when these are completed. I feel that whatever you feel comfortable with based on each individual experience is what it appropriate.

Last cruise we arrived to find everything done that was on a list of 8 items that we had faxed in. He was also there to greet us, before our door even closed. We felt that this was exceptional service and did provide an additional amount at that time. I cannot say that our service was any better or worse, but I can say that it was great.

We have never tipped prior to the cruise but we have tipped mid-way through. We also bring our teens with us and they are.....not...neat. (they have their own cabins) They tip their steward themselves several times during the cruise. They also make a big fuss over saying good bye to their steward and present another tip from the 4 of them. I think they like being thanked almost as they like being tipped.

That is what they are being paid for - it is their job. DON

On our last cruise there were over 200 ship staff that did not sign up again when the ships were leaving port. Mostly European, the Lines had to quickly scramble and obtain Philippean nationals to fill the gap. Why? Because the ever weaker US dollar at their home ports has resulted in them working for less and less. Yes, those that remain will work for less and then less again for they have little alternative. When one thinks that a miserly 1% of that which we spend on the cruise and on board could make the difference between comfort and misery for these people, good Lord, think of these people as more than our serfs. They deserve more than what they are paid and will not obtain that from the Line. The difference between poverty and well being in their homeland could be this pittance we come up with as a thank you for all their efforts.

Just to make myself clear. We leave the auto tips where they are. The "pre-tip" we give is just a start. We ask that the ice kept full, the fridge emptied and just to say hello!

Just asking, what needs to be emptied out of the fridge? Also as part of their daily routine ice buckets are refilled twice a day.

On my first two cruises I did hand the room steward $20 in advance having special requests, but since then I have not and have noticed no difference in the service I have received--it has always been excellent!

I always leave the auto tip and then tip accordingly at the end of the cruise.

It's really up to you... happy cruising!

VB1

Well, we don't "pre-tip" per se, but on embarkation day, we do give the room steward a nice box of See's Candies and ask him to share it with his friends. I believe they appreciate the gesture...

You must be from the west? ;) Cali. I knew it :D

We have tried different things ie: Christmas gifts during Christmas time, Phone cards, etc.

The only time I ever pre-tipped the CS was when we took our teenagers. We explained that it was the kids' first cruise and told him how our cabin stewards in the past have really made our cruises special. We slipped him a $20 and asked him to take care of the kids.

Our kids are very polite and considerate so they made his job very easy... But, he did take very good care of them and they had so much fun with him and the little gifts he left for them. He may have done that anyway, but our experience on that entire cruise was oustanding! Best service ever, from any of our cruises.

On our last cruise there were over 200 ship staff that did not sign up again when the ships were leaving port. Mostly European, the Lines had to quickly scramble and obtain Philippean nationals to fill the gap. Why? Because the ever weaker US dollar at their home ports has resulted in them working for less and less. Yes, those that remain will work for less and then less again for they have little alternative. When one thinks that a miserly 1% of that which we spend on the cruise and on board could make the difference between comfort and misery for these people, good Lord, think of these people as more than our serfs. They deserve more than what they are paid and will not obtain that from the Line. The difference between poverty and well being in their homeland could be this pittance we come up with as a thank you for all their efforts.

The question asked was with regard to pre-tipping. It was not with regard to how an increase in our tip level will help fight poverty in the staff's home country.

DON

The question asked was with regard to pre-tipping. It was not with regard to how an increase in our tip level will help fight poverty in the staff's home country. DON

We were responding to:

"That is what they are being paid for - it is their job. DON"

Archived