Extra Tipping Cabin Steward Upon Arrival?

crusinpeg

Personally, I think it's an insult.

There's no need to tip way before hand.

However, what I do is bring extra bags of goodies, pretzels, candy, etc and give it to the CS.

You should see the thankful face.

Then, at the end of my cruise I give $$$ in a envelope.

I have read that some people tip their cabin steward when they first arrive. What are your opinions? Good idea or insult?

I'm not talking about anything really extra...maybe just keeping ice in the mini cooler.

peg,

We've never done this and never suffered any consequences.

These wonderful people are very well trained and very eager to please, they take great pride in their ability to provide "excellent" service. During the cruise we may have some special requests and they are always pleasant and accommodating. We treat them as the professionals that they are.

We believe that great service is "rewarded" not prepaid.

JMHO

We have only done this when we have a list of requests to submit to the cabin steward/stewardess when first meeting them.

Case in point: I was planning a suprise B'day party for Dh a few years ago, and had all the information, time and date typed out with a list of extras we would need delivered at an EXACT time. We needed to keep this a surprise so I asked the steward to take care of things, like ordering extra glasses and ice to be delivered at that certain time. I slipped her the envelope with the instructions with a tip when he wasn't looking, and with a wink, she caught right on immediately. I didn't want him catching me doing this or it would not have been a surprise. And I might add things could not have gone more smoothly.

But just to give them a tip when entering, that I would probably be against. Unless you have added work for them to do right from the beginning.

I just never know..... We do ask for two more pillows, top sheet, wine glasses and egg crate if is not there (have requested egg crate from TA). Have gone ahead and given steward a tip at beginning when I request these things. We do keep the automatic tipping in place. Always give wait staff extra at the end.

Funny,

We always pre-tip as you may call it, as soon as we meet our steward. I always leave my tip in a hotel the 1st day if I am staying longer than 1 also.

I don't find it insulting. I don't think of it as a bribe. I think of it as, well, a nice gesture.

Depending on the # and the nature of the extra tasks we ask of the steward, we have from time to time tipped in advance.

We have never felt that we have tipped more than the recipient deserved, and the offering has always been received with a gracious smile, whether before or after the great service.

Seven years ago I pre-tipped our cabin steward. This was the first cruise on the Grand without butlers if you had a suite. Everyone had been talking about pre-tipping and what a difference in service that it made, so we gave it a try with a $20. The cabin steward understood that this was over and above the usual tip and that we would probably tip more at the end of the cruise (above the usual tips).

Our experiment failed. It seemed to make absolutely no difference whatsoever in the service we received.

Guest arowe6

Some see it as being nice. Others see it as a bribe. I think it seems kind of tacky. We tip extra at the end. But everyone is different. If you feel it will make a difference then tip at the beginning.

Enjoy your cruise.

-Andrew:)

No tipping in advance. It comes across to me as a bribe. If they go the extra mile in serving you, by all means recognize that at the end of the cruise.

It's gauche. If you make a special request for extra towels or glasses or that sort of thing, tip when the request has been completed. Otherwise, show your appreciation at the conclusion of the cruise.

I will have to concur with these two individuals.

DH and I don't think pre-tipping is appropriate or necessary. That said, here's my question:

If stewards receive cash tips up front, are they required to turn them in until the end of the cruise when it's determined that the passengers did not remove the auto-tip? Wouldn't this be the same as stewards receiving tips at the end of the cruise that must be turned in until it's known that the tip came from passengers who left the auto-tip in place?

I'm curious about how the pre-tipping works even though DH and I don't believe in it. I'll appreciate your responses. Thanks.

Chris

....Wouldn't this be the same as stewards receiving tips at the end of the cruise that must be turned in until it's known that the tip came from passengers who left the auto-tip in place?....

I was told by a friend who is a dining room waiter for Princess that the steward doesn't have to report cash tips. This is a point of contention between the two groups. At least that is what he told me.

I was told by a friend who is a dining room waiter for Princess that the steward doesn't have to report cash tips. This is a point of contention between the two groups. At least that is what he told me.

They don't, as long as they are over and above the recommended tips that are added to your shipboard account. Under that amount, yes, they must be reported or they risk loosing their jobs. :(

They don't, as long as they are over and above the recommended tips that are added to your shipboard account. Under that amount, yes, they must be reported or they risk loosing their jobs. :(

I guess he doesn't know what he is talking about or didn't understand my question.

I just never know..... We do ask for two more pillows, top sheet, wine glasses and egg crate if is not there (have requested egg crate from TA). Have gone ahead and given steward a tip at beginning when I request these things. We do keep the automatic tipping in place. Always give wait staff extra at the end.

Why an egg crate?

We tip the steward at the end of the cruise, however now that we are taking longer cruises we generally give him something mid-cruise. We have been told that they make less money in tips on longer trips than they do shorter cruises.

Archived