I was going to buy the Roma Pass over the Internet and pick it up at the airport (FCO) when we land. I assume we come into Terminal C and was wondering where we pick it up there. Anyone who has done this before can you tell me, please. A visitor's bureau kiosk? Also, I assume the ATM machines are there also in the terminal BEFORE we go get our luggage and look for the driver with a sign from Rome Cabs? Thanks for any input. We leave November 1. Very excited. Thanks.

It's my understanding that you would pick it up at the PIT (Punti Informativi Turistici), which is what the Tourist Information Kiosks in Rome are called. The one in FCO is located in the Arrivals Hall of Terminal C.

In the past, I have bought mine from one of the many points where they are available in Rome itself.

Two caveats about getting yours in FCO: I've read that the PIT there does not open until 9:30 am; also I have heard that they are sometimes out of the cards. So don't absolutely count on getting yours there.

I'm not sure there's any real value in preordering.

Since you can pick it up from any number of PIT desks and from any of the participating attractions you may want to rethink about picking it up at the airport. In my experience, once I've landed and picked up my bags I just want to get on my way. There are so many other places to pick up the Roma Pass when you're a little less frazzled ;)

The Roma Pass costs 20 euros and gives you free admission into any 2 of the participating museums and attractions in Rome. (Most are included; the exception is the Vatican museum as they are not "officially" part of Rome.)

Plus you get 3 days of unlimited transportation on the Rome metro and bus system. (This would not include Civitavecchia, however.)

Plus you get additional discounts on any museums/attractions beyond the first two -- often as much as 30% off the current price. You also get a discount on the 110 HOHO bus.

The Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill counts as one admission. I think that's 10 euros right there (if it hasn't gone up!). The Borghese Gallery is also included and I think that's another 9-10 euros.

It also includes the Capitoline Museum, the National Museums, many of the sights along the Appian Way, and even Ostia Antica.

Here is a link to all the info:

http://www.romapass.it/?l=en

The Roma Pass costs 20 euros and gives you free admission into any 2 of the participating museums and attractions in Rome. (Most are included; the exception is the Vatican museum as they are not "officially" part of Rome.)

Plus you get 3 days of unlimited transportation on the Rome metro and bus system. (This would not include Civitavecchia, however.)

Plus you get additional discounts on any museums/attractions beyond the first two -- often as much as 30% off the current price. You also get a discount on the 110 HOHO bus.

The Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill counts as one admission. I think that's 10 euros right there (if it hasn't gone up!). The Borghese Gallery is also included and I think that's another 9-10 euros.

It also includes the Capitoline Museum, the National Museums, many of the sights along the Appian Way, and even Ostia Antica.

Here is a link to all the info:

http://www.romapass.it/?l=en

Thanks, Cruisemom! You have been a wealth of information so I am going to tap in a bit more. This will be my 3rd trip to Rome; we stay overnight so will have 2 days. I have already booked the Vatican tour for the morning of the 2nd day, but that's it so far. When we were there last year we did the Ho-Ho and saw quite a bit, but now we have time for more detail. DH has never been to the Colosseum, and I have only driven past the Forum, so we thought we should do that on Day 1--what are the other "musts"? We have been to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, etc. Is Castel San Angelo (which I have walked past) worth going into on limited time (maybe after the Vatican)? Borghese Gallery? What do you (or anyone else for that matter!) recommend?

Thanks so much,

Cathy

Thanks, Cruisemom! You have been a wealth of information so I am going to tap in a bit more. This will be my 3rd trip to Rome; we stay overnight so will have 2 days. I have already booked the Vatican tour for the morning of the 2nd day, but that's it so far. When we were there last year we did the Ho-Ho and saw quite a bit, but now we have time for more detail. DH has never been to the Colosseum, and I have only driven past the Forum, so we thought we should do that on Day 1--what are the other "musts"? We have been to the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, etc. Is Castel San Angelo (which I have walked past) worth going into on limited time (maybe after the Vatican)? Borghese Gallery? What do you (or anyone else for that matter!) recommend?

Thanks so much,

Cathy

Hi Cathy, I'd be happy to make recommendations but it would help to know if you are more into the "ancient" Rome or the "Renaissance" Rome. For ancient Rome, I do think that doing the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill is a must. I can recommend a terrific small-group walking tour if you wish -- you really need one to make sense of the Forum and Palatine Hill, otherwise it is just a big jumble of ruins.

For Renaissance Rome, the Vatican obviously, but a close second would be the Borghese Gallery, another must in my book. It is full of exquisite sculpture and paintings -- not so many as to be overwhelming. The gallery itself is worth paying attention to as well. The Renaissance Italians knew how to live well. You do need to make reservations, but you don't need a tour. The audioguide you can rent is inexpensive and well worth it.

I'm not a big fan of Castel San Angelo. I know it has enjoyed new fame since Dan Brown's books, but........

If you have the time and the weather is good, I might suggest going out to the Appian Way. In addition to the catacombs, you can walk a section of the old Roman road (it was known among Romans as the "Queen of Roads"), see a fairly long section of the ancient aqueducts, visit a mausoleum that I like better than Castel San Angelo (which was originally Hadrian's mausoleum)....the tomb of Cecelia Metella, and also see some of the ancient city walls. To do it justice I'd allow more than a half day though.

There are many beautiful churches to visit also. A thread here recently discussed some of them -- take a list with you. Often you may find yourself near one with a few minutes to spare and you can just pop in and have a look.

If you are a museum hound, the Capitoline Museum (overlooking the Roman Forum) has some terrific pieces, as does the National museum (both covered by the Roma pass).

Really, there are so many "must sees" for me; is it any wonder I keep going back?:)

Great--thanks SO much!

I know what you mean about the Forum--not much to look at from a drive-by which is why I haven't been there yet. Tell me more about the walking tour--sounds interesting.

On the Borghese Gallery--if you make an advance reservation, can you still use the Roma pass to pay (when you get there, I assume)?

Also what about the Pantheon? We stayed right across the street from the one in Paris--but I assume the Roman one is much different--worth a look?

Really appreciate your time + knowledge!

Cathy

The Pantheon in Rome is one of our must sees!! We love it! It's free entrance and if you can get there early morning or later in the day its less crowded. For the Borghese Gallery you need to call and make your reservation if you want to use the Roma Pass for the entrance fee, somebody said that their website now warns you about that if you try to reserve online. Our last trip to Rome we kept going back and forth through the Forum, we'll have to change our route next trip since its now part of the Coloseum/Palatine hill ticket. Can't wait to get back next May......

Cathy,

The tour I'd recommend is by Context Rome. They do small group tours (6-8 people maximum; on my tours its' been 4 or 5 people, so really it's like a private tour). This one touches on the high points of the whole Palatine Hill/Forum/Colosseum area:

http://www.contexttravel.com/rome/tours/roma-antica/PTR204/?linked-tours=yes

You may want to browse their other tours for more ideas.

Re: the Borghese Gallery: Yes you can use the Roma Pass to pay for the tickets when you get there; you will still have to pay the reservation fee of (I think) 2 euros. Just tell them when you call or email for a reservation that you will be using the Roma Pass.

Now.....the Pantheon. I didn't get from your previous message that you hadn't visited it. That, to me, is another "must". It is probably my favorite building anywhere. Easy to go on your own, and free. I suggest you try to visit it early in the morning before the crowds. Stroll around the outside and notice the sturdy (but unglamorous) Roman brick construction. Imagine how it looked when it was clad in marble and bronze (both later stripped by Papal order to use in construction projects in and around the Vatican!). Go inside and marvel at the dome which wasn't replicated for over a thousand years and the beautiful original Roman marble floor, and the ancient bronze doors....

Obviously I could go on and on about the Pantheon! I have to share that, while I always toss a coin into Trevi Fountain, my own private ritual each time I'm in Rome is to visit the Pantheon, stand under the oculus, and make a wish for a return visit. It has worked so far.:)

Directly across from the side of the Pantheon is a wonderful church..Well worth going into. You will see people sitting on the steps outside. I forget the name but as I recall it is the only one that is across from the Pantheon.

Also, I forgot to mention...Since you have the Roma pass, get on one of the small buses, called 'electricos'. Number 116 winds through some great areas. We jumped on a few times and rode it to the end (just outside Borg. gallery) and then went back on the next return bus. This bus comes frequently and passes through Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps,etc. A nice way to rest your feet (if you get a seat), see some sights, and get an idea of the layout of the city.

Directly across from the side of the Pantheon is a wonderful church..Well worth going into. You will see people sitting on the steps outside. I forget the name but as I recall it is the only one that is across from the Pantheon.

You probably mean Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. As you face the Pantheon it's in a little square just off to the left and a bit behind the Pantheon. It has an obelisk with an elephant outside. It's a lovely church :)

On the website for the Roma Pass (previously listed) there are two passes liste there, the Roma Pass and another one that is 5 euros more. Does anyone know exactly what the differences are between the two? It seems like something to do with the transportation.

On the website for the Roma Pass (previously listed) there are two passes liste there, the Roma Pass and another one that is 5 euros more. Does anyone know exactly what the differences are between the two? It seems like something to do with the transportation.

Yes, it relates to transportation. I've always been advised that the Roma Pass is best. The Roma and Piu covers a larger area, but for almost everyone visiting Rome to see the historic sights, the extra coverage isn't needed. They are both good for 3 days' transportation on bus and metro.

Yes, it relates to transportation. I've always been advised that the Roma Pass is best. The Roma and Piu covers a larger area, but for almost everyone visiting Rome to see the historic sights, the extra coverage isn't needed. They are both good for 3 days' transportation on bus and metro.

Thanks for the information. We won't be using the transportation much for sightseeing as the hotel I have booked is within sight of the Forum and we will be walking almost everywhere that we want to go. We will be there Sat. morning and our cruise leaves Mon. evening so we will have 2+ days to use it. I think it will be a good choice to purchase it.

Archived