Forecast for '09

stan wood

Would anyone with more financial expertise than me like to forecast what will happen next summer with our country's economic mess? Do you see fewer people traveling which will force the prices down? Airfare to Alaska seems quite reasonable at the moment, but I wonder if it won't get even better with the price of gas dropping. I also wonder if you're better to wait before booking a cruise. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry, my crystal ball is a bit foggy but my sense is that there should be some softening in pricing in the weeks ahead.

Now that bit of information and 50 cents will buy you a cup of coffee just about nowhere.:rolleyes:

October was designated National Cruise Vacation Month by the CLIA, but sales are flat, according to a cruise industry expert I talked to yesterday. My guess from what's happened in previous years when troubles of various types developed is that there will be some incredible deals coming by late February.

I "predict" that cruise sales will be discounted, so keep track of pricing trends YOURSELF, don't leave it up to your booking agent. When you see a drop, immediately request a refund. It might offer even more, if flexable with rebooking.

However airfares will be less predictable. Flights are running full and Seattle and Vancouver both have load factors in the 95% range, schedules and flight numbers have been reduced. So I would not be waiting out if prices are acceptable to you now. I am speculating based on my husband being in the airline industry.

Flights we were watching jumped up $160.00 per person yesterday! I couldn't believe my eyes! Were $718.00 roundtrip...now are $878.00!

Not sure what we'll do now. Maybe wait and hope they come down???????

I know a lot of the fares came down when Alaska started their Permanent Fund (that's our yearly oil royalty check we get for living here) airfare sale beginning in September, but I figure after October 13th, when it ends, fares will go up again. Of course, that's just my thought!

Susan in Anchorage :)

I had originally planned a mediterranean cruise with my adult children. With the falling dollar, I decided to put that trip off. I was a little concern that stopping at a café for that cup of latte could cost 15 dollars. I want to enjoy my vacation not worry over cost…..

With that said, Maybe American vacation spots are going to see first time visitor from other countries. I guess we will have to see how the world shakes from our economy.

I had originally planned a mediterranean cruise with my adult children. With the falling dollar, I decided to put that trip off. I was a little concern that stopping at a café for that cup of latte could cost 15 dollars. I want to enjoy my vacation not worry over cost…..

With that said, Maybe American vacation spots are going to see first time visitor from other countries. I guess we will have to see how the world shakes from our economy.

Not Australians, as we've watched our Aussie dollar's rapid fall, in a few months, from .98cUS to .68cUS, and euro around .50.

We won't be doing any shopping in Italy or the US this trip.

I was in the UK/Norway for a month this summer, and I frequently heard of the soft tourist market with significantly fewer Americans. Seems we are the big bulk, money spending travelers. :) Many concerns.

I'll be in Europe for 5 weeks again next summer, including a 2 week Med cruise, so it won't stop me from traveling where I wish. :) I plan on picking up the bargains where I can. AND will be visiting Alaska as well. :)

I do think that more nonUS visitors will be traveling the US. It certainly has plenty to offer, doesn't it?? :)

Would anyone with more financial expertise than me like to forecast what will happen next summer with our country's economic mess? Do you see fewer people traveling which will force the prices down? Airfare to Alaska seems quite reasonable at the moment, but I wonder if it won't get even better with the price of gas dropping. I also wonder if you're better to wait before booking a cruise. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks

Interesting, I wonder with the price of gas dropping if the $7.00 and $8.00 per day, per person fuel surcharges the cruise lines are charging will come down or disappear? :rolleyes:

I redid my Hertz rental car arrangements (did not cancel first reservation until I found a better deal with the second reservation) on 10/2/08 and was able to save a few $$. Since I plan almost a year ahead, I always monitor my arrangements - you never know when a deal might appear. :D

In addition to car rental savings, we have realized a $600 price reduction in our cruise fare that we booked a year in advance.

Thanks to everyone that replied to my query. I'm not sure that I've made my mind up about anything, but you've certainly given me several more facts to consider. I can't imagine another site where so many people from around the world would take time to help someone with their expertise and/or opinions. Again, thanks.

Archived