It got ugly in San Diego at 3:30pm today

DAllenTCY

What I'm wondering is, how does the op get so much personal info. on this situation.

Without digging through posting histories, my money would be on "San Diego Cruise Terminal Check-in Agent" which, if accurate, could easily become former San Diego Agent if the cruise line gets uptight about this much detail getting leaked. Just speculating. ;) :)

Without digging through posting histories, my money would be on "San Diego Cruise Terminal Check-in Agent" which, if accurate, could easily become former San Diego Agent if the cruise line gets uptight about this much detail getting leaked. Just speculating. ;) :)

According to his profile, which you can check by clicking on his avitar, he is 61 years of age & retired..I'm also wondering how he knows the details..It's possible he may have a friend who is a Check-in Agent..

It will be interesting to see if HAL and the other cruise lines change their cruise air policies to ensure that all same day arrivals have scheduled touch downs 2 1/2 hrs prior to departure to cover off the 90 minutes and allow for baggage and transfer time. Over the years, we have spoken to many people who have been given (in our opinion) very risky flights arriving on the day of departure with no room for error. Some of whom simply did not make and had to board the following day.

Although it was another beautiful day here, mild temperatures and sunny skiies, the few who arrived "late" for today's Oosterdam sailing were in for a BIG surprise.

About a dozen guests, some children, were denied boarding due to the "90 minute" rule.....EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD COMPLETED THEIR DOCUMENTS ONLINE, because apparently some did not put any reply in the "Nationality" space.

This showed up on the ship's report to be submitted to CBP that their nationality is "unknown".

Whether it be a typo in entering you passport number, birthdate, etc. you can only protect yourself by having checked in at the pier at least 90 minutes before sailing. Have your room key in you hand at least one and a half hours before sailing!

I heard that one family today arrived in two cars, some in time to get their missing information into the computer at the check in station and the others not so lucky. The result was a heartbreaking experience for the HAL staff and the affected guests. You guessed it....one child and the father denied boarding, and the mother and other kids onboard. Not good.

Two other guests now have opted to pay to fly to Cabo San Lucas and pay the $400 per person fine, in order to meet relatives onboard for a reunion or birthday or whatever (I forget).

Another passenger dropped off his cabinmate and then went himself to park the car. Guess what....he'll be alone tonight and so will she.

Two other people were having a bite to eat at Anthony's at 3:45pm just 100 yards from the ship, (as I saw the Oosterdam luggage tags on their bags). I was hoping that they had already checked, but just a few minutes late they entered the terminal only to find out that they, too, had not completed one critical portion of their pre-registration. They joined the others....in frustration, and misplaced anger aimed at the HAL check in staff.

At this point, it was apparent to me that I need to reiterrate on this board....the minute that I get home....of the necessity to get to the pier on time. If you haven't allowed enough time to park the car, grab a bite to eat or whatever....you may have serious consequences awaiting you.

No one affected will get a refund, and those returning home be the airlines will be charged a rebooking fee plus whatever the current rate is for a new booking.

It was very, very sad, and the worst part is that it was completely avoidable.

The silly thing was that it was said that it was "HAL's fault for not notifying" these guests of the consequences of a minor typographical input error or omission.

It really doesn't matter who's to blame....it's an unpleasant ending to an otherwise nearly perfect day.....and as I said....completely avoidable.

David

I'm not sure how thing can happen. I just did my parents' online registration for their upcoming Noordam cruise, and I inadvertently left one line blank. It would not let me progress to the next page. It showed an error and made me fill in the blank spot before it would proceed. So I'm wondering if there is more to this story than initially thought?

Which cruise is this, 7 nights, etc., and I would like the follow-up on how many of the passengers flew to the next port to catch up, including the family that was separated?

Don't know how many people flew to Cabo...etc...but as we tendered in Cabo there were roughly 9 pieces of luggage inside the first door of the ship, that had come in from shore....also never heard anything on board about the incident.

I think the situation sucks for the people that it happened to and 99% on them for the blame. But I also think that the time frame given is a little short. Since the departure time was 5pm that means check-in by 3:30. In a perfect world that gives 4 hours to move everybody and I mean everybody(Radiance of the Seas was also there) before splitting them up into the two areas for HAL and RCL. When we arrived just after 11:30 you still couldn't drive into the drop off area, you had to go just past the port and then haul your luggage back into the pedestrian entrance. From there if you were on RCL you could cut across and give you luggage to the porters in the normal vehicle drop off area...if HAL you had to continue in line snaking around inside and drop off with the porters in the corner and then continue on to security.

Now this all occured even though both ships arrived by just after 6am. We actually watched the Radiance coming in at 6am. I would love to see an earlier check in..."I realize this isn't logistical" but heck I was ready at 6 am to finish the process, get my card and come back at 11:30 :D

Now I know the cruise lines have very little if any control over the ships being cleared so really no blame being pointed their way...I would just like to see a bigger window for check in, even though I know I am not going to get it. :)

Tayo and Kristy

I would love to see an earlier check in..."I realize this isn't logistical" but heck I was ready at 6 am to finish the process, get my card and come back at 11:30
I think that's a wonderful idea. They need to start checking people in earlier than they do. While people generally don't like to just wait around, checking in early then going out to explore a little before boarding would be very nice for lots of folks.

with the limited space for waiting in the terminal here in SanDiego, they really can't start checking people in until everybody is off the ship and they are ready to board passengers. Very few people would want to check in, still having their carry-ons, and go out sight-seeing and then come back to board. Having done several cruises out of here, I believe the shore staff does the best job in the time they have to move people through the check-in process:)

I'm not sure how thing can happen. I just did my parents' online registration for their upcoming Noordam cruise, and I inadvertently left one line blank. It would not let me progress to the next page. It showed an error and made me fill in the blank spot before it would proceed. So I'm wondering if there is more to this story than initially thought?
See Posts 43 to 52 in this thread.

Me thinks being able to move up the check-in time for oncoming pax depends, among other things, on the fine folks disembarking having their collective "stuff" together and being ready to get their buttocks off the ship (i.e. having settled their outstanding onboard charges, having cleared immigration if non-U.S. citizens, turned in library books, CD's, and whatever else you can fathom that holds up the disembarkation process) How many times do you hear this? "Ding Dong Dung - Will Mr. and Mrs. So and So from Cabin 701 please report to the a. Front Office, b. Hudson Lounge, c. Library, d. Brig immediately:rolleyes: " ). In addition, the Lido has to be pretty much vacated, cleaned and switched over from a breakfast to a lunch operation in order to welcome, with open arms, those new pax.

Don't know what someone else thinks about this but I have a feeling that with rooms generally not being ready for their new guests 'till 1:30 PM, moving the embarkation time up is only going to dump more fine folks into the Lido thereby no doubt increasing both the anxiety of some and the complaint factor of others;)

with the limited space for waiting in the terminal here in SanDiego, they really can't start checking people in until everybody is off the ship and they are ready to board passengers. Very few people would want to check in, still having their carry-ons, and go out sight-seeing and then come back to board. Having done several cruises out of here, I believe the shore staff does the best job in the time they have to move people through the check-in process:)

Having traveled out of SD 4 times now that is why I said it wasn't logistically possible...just more of a dream on my part :)

Tayo and Kristy

It will be interesting to see if HAL and the other cruise lines change their cruise air policies to ensure that all same day arrivals have scheduled touch downs 2 1/2 hrs prior to departure to cover off the 90 minutes and allow for baggage and transfer time. Over the years, we have spoken to many people who have been given (in our opinion) very risky flights arriving on the day of departure with no room for error. Some of whom simply did not make and had to board the following day.

Unfortunately some of the cruise air departments don't seem to have gotten the memo.:rolleyes: There was a post this week that Princess had booked somebody a 3:18pm arrival at FLL for a 5pm departure, even without the new rule, this is too tight an arrival, but when you add in the rule this was impossible, yet the cruise air department refused to change it without them paying for an air deviation.

The new APIS 60 rule became effective within the last 30 days.

Please advise where you got the info that APIS RULE 60 only went into effect in the last 30 days as would like to update my files..I have a copy of the APIS rule 60 which went into effect on Feb. 19, 2008, Per Dept. of Homeland Security Federal Register Volume 72, No 162 dated August 23, 3007 Rules & Regulations:

Quote: Vol. 72, No. 163 / Thursday, August 23, 2007 / Rules and Regulations

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

Bureau of Customs and Border Protection

19 CFR Parts 4 and 122

[uSCBP–2005–0003; CBP Dec. 07–64]

RIN 1651–AA62

Advance Electronic Transmission of Passenger and Crew Member

Manifests for Commercial Aircraft and Vessels

AGENCY: Customs and Border Protection, DHS.

ACTION: Final rule.

Part of the SUMMARY Reads: For sea travel, CBP will require vessel carriers to transmit passenger and crew manifests for vessels departing from the United States no later than 60 minutes prior to departure. For vessels departing from foreign ports destined to arrive at a U.S. port, CBP is retaining the current requirement to transmit passenger and crew arrival manifest data at least 24 hours and up to 96 hours prior to the vessel’s entry at the U.S. port of arrival.

DATES: Effective Date: February 19,2008. UNQUOTE

Was the Feb 19 effective date delayed for some reason?

Wonder if it's possible that there were too many instances where on-line mistakes were made by passengers &/or some who did not check in on-line which resulted in the Cruise Lines having to correct their original Passenger Manifests, sent to CBP (Customs & Border Protection) 60 minutes prior to departure...This may have resulted in ship's departure delays...

It's also possible that CBP got tired of all the corrections & told the Cruise Lines to get their act together & send them one correct manifest..Therefore the Cruise Lines might feel that placing the 90 minute check-in cut off was the best way to get a correct manifest to CBP...

We have to realize that many older cruisers are either not able to check in on-line or may not feel comfortable checking-in on-line, creating delays at actual check-in...We actually have friends, who do not have a PC. ;)

Could be all wrong about this, but understand the need for at least a 90 minute check-in..For the life of me, can't understand why anyone would cut it that close!

:confused: :confused: JMO

Cheers..:) Betty

...<snip>...

Could be all wrong about this, but understand the need for at least a 90 minute check-in..For the life of me, can't understand why anyone would cut it that close!

:confused: :confused: JMO

Cheers..:) Betty

Post #190 above would stop me from universally blaming all of the check-in issues on fellow passengers, YMMV. ;) :D

If you have your been issued your keys, you are free to walk around until 30 minutes until departure. You can get on and off the ship, depending if you want to go to the nearby Rite Aid or Ralphs and purchase wine, champaign, sodas or sundries.....or the Midway museum....or ride the trolley....or whatever. JUST CHECK IN BETWEEN 11 AM and 3 PM at the latest.

David

Does this apply to all departures? That would great for us as we don't actually sail out of Auckland until 11.59pm.

To Betty aka Serendipity1499, there was 180 day reprieve due to the need to include such language in ticket brochures, allert travel agents, etc. Once that time frame had expired, and then another month on top, just to be sure, the rule is now being enforced.

Last summer HAL kept records for the Seattle departures to Alaska.

On average, 5-7 cabins would have been denied boarding each week.

To Aussiedisneyfan, this rule does not apply to sailings embarking outside the US.

David

To Betty aka Serendipity1499, there was 180 day reprieve due to the need to include such language in ticket brochures, allert travel agents, etc. Once that time frame had expired, and then another month on top, just to be sure, the rule is now being enforced.

Last summer HAL kept records for the Seattle departures to Alaska.

On average, 5-7 cabins would have been denied boarding each week.

To Aussiedisneyfan, this rule does not apply to sailings embarking outside the US.

David

Dont forget about calling airline the night before to confirm your flight. Last year we booked a "discount" airline months in advance. We showed up at the airport on time, only to be told our flight left 2 hours earlier. Luckily, we managed to get to the ship on time. (Beware, if you dont use the cruise-air option and book airfare privately, the cruise company is not equipped to help in this situation). This year, we are arriving Fort Lauderdale 2 days early!;)

Archived