Is Platinum Plan the way to go??

Sissy Ruth

Do most cruisers purchase cancellation ins.thru the cruise lines? The

standard plan only covers cancellation and is within $100 or so of the

platinum plan which covers most everything else. I'd love some

feedback on what most of you do for coverage. We are seniors and

I do think that makes a difference. We have purchased the plan on

all recent cruises. Is it really necessary??

There are other insurance policies besides what HAL offers.

I suggest you first decide what it is you need from insurance. Then, go to insuremytrip.com and compare the various policies listed out there.

Not all insurance policies are created equal. Note that for pre-existing conditions to be covered, most policies require that you purchase within 14-21 days of first deposit.

I use CSA. Since I am not worried about any pre-existing illness, I wait until the final payment is due to buy insurance. If you buy insurance through the cruise line up front (when you first book the cruise, if you cancel before the final payment is due, you are out the price of the insurance.

I use CSA. Since I am not worried about any pre-existing illness, I wait until the final payment is due to buy insurance. If you buy insurance through the cruise line up front (when you first book the cruise, if you cancel before the final payment is due, you are out the price of the insurance.

Which policy do you get? CSA Luxe covers pre-existing conditions and can be bought at final payment.

We usually get the platinum plan for cruises with HAL. That is because we like the Cancel for Any Reason (good if you have children or pets, or are still working and may be switching jobs etc and can't travel), pre-existing condition waiver, $50K medical Evacuation AND we have medical insurance that pays outside of the US so the $10K SECONDARY medical limit is fine for us (that amount is low if you do not have insurance for outside the US). The policy is not based on age so usually cheaper for seniors vs other plans.

Yes, insurance is necessary if you need to use it. Can you afford $50K in medical evacuation?

We do not purchase the cruise line's insurance.

We but third party insurance and but it at final payment of the cruise.

We also buy the Platinum insurance from HAL. The main reason is the cancel for any reason clause. Be aware that if the cruise line you purchase the insurance through goes under, your insurance goes with it. I'm not concerned with HAL or any of the Carnival companies but some of the smaller ones you may want to think about twice - in this case, 3rd party insurance is probably the way to go.

Doug

I use CSA. Since I am not worried about any pre-existing illness, I wait until the final payment is due to buy insurance.

Yes, but keep in mind that it is not just your own medical condition that you need to be concerned with. If you have to cancel due to a family member's illness, the pre-existing medical condition exclusion could come into play and leave you with no reimbursement.

Yes, we always buy Platinum since we have elderly parents to consider as well as ourselves. Paid off 2 years ago when we cancelled 24 hours before departure due to the imminent death of my father. One phonecall to HAL took care of it all...no problems, no hassles getting doctor certificates, etc. Yes, look at the FINE PRINT...not all insurance will cover for any reason which is important to us. (We used insuremytrip for another part of the trip that was land-based and we had to provide copies of death certificate, doctor affidavits, receipts for hotels, cars, etc. PAIN!)

Jan

recovering, sadly, from a glorious 24-day cruise on the Zuiderdam

Being Seniors there is no 'penalty' for age with HAL.

Insurance may, or may not be worth it, BUT, it does take a lot of the worry out of it.

john

Archived