Sydney Opera House

Verity

I was checking my copy of Frommer's for things to do in Sydney and came upon the various Opera House Tours. Some include dinners, also. Has anyone ever done any of the tours? We will also be in Sydney and would be able to hear the Messiah being performed on the date we will be there. That concert hall looks massive and it says the acoustics are fantastic. I could purchase tickets now if I wanted. Any thoughts on the Opera House? Thank you

http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/

Some include dinners, also. Has anyone ever done any of the tours?
There is one tour that I particularly recommend: the backstage tour. You get to see places that it's otherwise now difficult to see even if you know a performer.

I wouldn't personally bother with a tour with dinner. Although I don't know where they'd take you, long experience of such tours suggests that the dinner part will usually be a ripoff. The only exception to that would be if the tour included dinner at Bennelong, the Opera House's own fine dining establishment. But that isn't very likely.

If there's a gig that interests you, definitely do it. Few tourists ever see the inside of the Opera House in action. In many ways, to be honest, it's not much different from many other big city concert halls. I wouldn't want to overstate the case for doing this. But there is something very romantic about the place, especially (for example) interval drinks in one of the lobbies that looks out over the harbour, Fort Denison and the Harbour Bridge. And going to a concert (or even the opera) might be something that you'd do anyway in a city you're visiting.

Having a look at the website just now, I see that they're doing afternoon tea with opera on Wednesdays. I might just have to do that when I'm there next month!

thank you, so much for your input Globaliser. I always like doing things that the people who live in the cities would be doing. It would also be good to get the tickets here so we don't have to stand in lines hours long. I definitely will look into the different tours. The people in Sydney must be in great shape. We are doing the bridge climb which involves 500 stairs and it says the backstage tours involve 200 stairs.:)

BTW, going to a symphony in Austria and an opera in Italy are definitely on my to do lists.

thank you, so much for your input Globaliser. I always like doing things that the people who live in the cities would be doing. It would also be good to get the tickets here so we don't have to stand in lines hours long. I definitely will look into the different tours. The people in Sydney must be in great shape. We are doing the bridge climb which involves 500 stairs and it says the backstage tours involve 200 stairs.:)

BTW, going to a symphony in Austria and an opera in Italy are definitely on my to do lists.

Just to put some things in perspective for you Veirty. Sydney is not a city that you stand in long lines for generally. If you want to buy tickets to a gig at the Opera House you can generally buy online or at a number of venues around the city. Generally tickets are either not available or not - which can often mean disappointment but not long lines.

I would buy tickets online before you get here if possible if you're sure that is what you want to do.

As for Sydney siders being in great shape - most of us have not done the Brdigeclimb or an Opera House tour.

I also would leave the dinner element out of your Opera House tour. Any place that you have dinner area around Circular Quay will be fairly expensive (except for McDonalds). Actually there is a place on the ground floor of Customs House called Alfreds that serves reasonably priced meals. Its nothing fancy but a nice spot and you can sit in the courtyard and people watch.

I was checking my copy of Frommer's for things to do in Sydney and came upon the various Opera House Tours. Some include dinners, also. Has anyone ever done any of the tours? We will also be in Sydney and would be able to hear the Messiah being performed on the date we will be there. That concert hall looks massive and it says the acoustics are fantastic. I could purchase tickets now if I wanted. Any thoughts on the Opera House? Thank you

http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/

Do go to the performance of Messiah. It is such a pre Christmas tradition in Australia and what wonderful music!

Cheers,

Steve.

But there is something very romantic about the place, especially (for example) interval drinks in one of the lobbies that looks out over the harbour, Fort Denison and the Harbour Bridge. And going to a concert (or even the opera) might be something that you'd do anyway in a city you're visiting.

Having a look at the website just now, I see that they're doing afternoon tea with opera on Wednesdays. I might just have to do that when I'm there next month!

I agree. I search the Opera House website every time I go to Sydney to find a show I'd like to attend, mainly to just enjoy the venue and its spectacular location.

BTW The Opera House provides a little used free shuttle bus from Circular Quay to the Opera House before and after each show. I have had the bus to myself on several occasions, so hope it is still running.

Any place that you have dinner area around Circular Quay will be fairly expensive (except for McDonalds).
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. In the Circular Quay building itself, there's Cafe Rossini and City Extra. I don't think I'd describe either of those as "fairly expensive", and they're generally not bad.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. In the Circular Quay building itself, there's Cafe Rossini and City Extra. I don't think I'd describe either of those as "fairly expensive", and they're generally not bad.

Like mochuck, I agree for quality of food and value for money, I would choose to eat away from the Opera House/Circular Quay. However, for location - enjoy. My personal favourite is Museum of Modern Art's cafe.

I checked the opera house website, and there did not seem to be any programs for my dates Feb 5- 11. 2009. Do they add show closer to the date. I really wanted to see a performance there.

I found this email address on the site. It looks like they haven't put out the complete calendar for 2009.

tourism@sydneyoperahouse.com

I checked the opera house website, and there did not seem to be any programs for my dates Feb 5- 11. 2009. Do they add show closer to the date. I really wanted to see a performance there.

It could be a quiet period, after the busy Christmas/January school holiday period. However, I'd try again closer to the date.

Last December we were in Sydney and I booked a Christmas music special in the Opera House on their website. It was great and we felt very priviliged to attend this event. This year we're in Sydney in November and I booked a modern dance performance. It works very well booking on the internet. We didn't attend a special tour. Joyce

For that period, it looks like the following operas are scheduled for the Sydney Opera House (Opera Australia):-

Thu 5 Feb 2009 The Magic Flute

Fri 6 Feb 2009 Cavalleria rusticana

Fri 6 Feb 2009 Pagliacci

Sat 7 Feb 2009 The Magic Flute

Sat 7 Feb 2009 Madama Butterfly

Tue 10 Feb 2009 Madama Butterfly

Wed 11 Feb 2009 The Magic Flute

Sources:-

Opera Australia

Operabase

Last November and early December we went to the Opera House twice. Firstly to see Nutcracker in the Opera Theatre and then Not the Messiah - He's a Very Naughty Boy (Eric Idle/Life of Brian) in the Concert Theatre. I have to say the Concert theatre is amazing. We were glad we booked on the net before we went however, because Nutcracker was completely full and there were only a few seats for the other one. Enjoy Sydney - who wouldn't? My very favourite place after London!!!

One of the reasons I wanted to book the Messiah now was in the Frommer's it says the theater can be sold out for popular events or only have the last row available. In Chicago, which is my only reference for the event, the Messiah gets sold out the day the tickets are first available.

I want to thank everyone who responded. I am writing down all the places everyone suggested to eat. We will be in Sydney two days before we can board the ship so recommendations are very helpful.

BTW, is this a sing along Messiah or do they just perform it?

BTW, is this a sing along Messiah or do they just perform it?

Hi,

It's fine to sing along. Just make sure you only do it in your head!;)

Do stand for the hallelujah chorus though.

I was at a performance one year and there were a few people still sitting. One elderly 'gentleman' screamed at the top of his lungs:

"Stand up, yer bastards". Almost brought the house down.

Cheers,

Steve.

I just purchased tickets for "A Christmas Celebration" at the Opera House on Sunday, December 7. I am so excited that we will be able to attend a performance there. I do have a question. The performance is a matinee. We will be disembarking our ship on that day and probably will not be able to check into our hotel before the performance. We are wondering what clothes we should wear to the performance. Should my husband wear a suit, or a shirt, tie and sport jacket or will a shirt with no tie and sport jacket be appropriate?

Jimanne1

I just purchased tickets for "A Christmas Celebration" at the Opera House on Sunday, December 7. I am so excited that we will be able to attend a performance there. I do have a question. The performance is a matinee. We will be disembarking our ship on that day and probably will not be able to check into our hotel before the performance. We are wondering what clothes we should wear to the performance. Should my husband wear a suit, or a shirt, tie and sport jacket or will a shirt with no tie and sport jacket be appropriate?

Jimanne1

Enjoy "A Christmas Celebration" at the Opera House. Being a matinee and being hot in December, a shirt with no tie and no sports jacket would be appropriate for your husband.

If you have sufficient time in Sydney, you might also like to attend the City Recital Hall Angel Place, where I enjoyed an outstanding Christmas Performance last year.

http://www.cityrecitalhall.com/events/id/374/Voices-of-Angels/

Thanks, Marion, for the information. I know we will enjoy it. I clicked on the link to the other performance and, to my regret, we will already be home back in the states on those dates. I know I would have enjoyed the children's choirs. Thank you again. We are so looking forward to this trip. It is our trip of a lifetime.

Jimanne1

• 1 month later...

I checked the opera house site again today, and I don't see any shows listed for my available dates of Feb 5- 7, 2009. I did look at the Opera Australia site mentioned by Globaliser, but those tickets don't seem to be available until December for the general public. I would defiintely be interested in seeing an opera there, although I am not really an opera fan. Would there be another site for concerts/other events held at the opera house?

Thanks,

Kathy

We will be doing the Sydney Opera House Sea and Stage package on December 6th. The dinner portion is actualy a dinner cruise. The Opera performance will be Manon. They have several packages that include dinner and tours along with a performnce. We booked this over 5 months ago and it was about $250 per person. With the current exchange rate I'm sure the prices are much better. PS. Jimmane1 we are also on the Millenium 11/23 sailing. See you at the CC party. //RFB

Kathy - if you are indeed shot down for a performance, do try to take advantage of one of the tours that is offered of the facilities. The backstage tour was especially eye opening (and I work backstage professionally).

Have a wonderful time - and if you like Chinese food, there is a great restaurant in the Circular Quay that does a mean sweet and sour croc!

• 2 weeks later...

I did manage to get tickets online to Madama Butterfly for sat Feb 7 at the Opera House. I am so excited! What does one wear to an opera on Saturday night? Although I have never been to a real opera before, we went to a performance of Carmen at Musica Palazzo in Venice. I have also inquired about a pre- theater dinner reservation at Bennalongs.

Archived