first time flying to get on a cruise ship (?s)

Book own - from reading boards I'd say most book their own as prices are better and they have better choices of flights and have more control over them too.

do most people pick their own airline or just book it with the cruise through their travel agent. is it cheaper to do it one way or the other?

thanks cc.

if it helps i can post the price i was given.

We used the cruise air the first time and swore not to do it again as we like to be able to pick our own flights, and fly in a day early. You can do that with the cruise air too, but I think it costs more for that option.

Whether its cheaper to book flights on your own depends, and the only way to know for sure its to try both. Find the cheapest flights you can on your own, then do a mock booking with RCI and see what the costs are.

I have no idea how most other people book their flights, but I suspect many would prefer to book their own.

There are some advatages and disadvantages to both.

We have done both. Now we only book our own air and ALWAYS fly in a day early and fly out the day after the cruise ends. To us it is completely worth 2 nights hotel cost to avoid all the stress of worrying if you will make it on time. We learned the hard way!

We've always found it cheaper to book our own airfare. We also find it better to fly into the port the day before the cruise, and then stay in an inexpensive hotel. Besides reducing the stress of having a flight change or delay on the morning of the cruise cause you to miss the ship, it also allows you to arrive onto the ship well-rested and relaxed. We usually book late-afternoon flights for our return home after the cruise, again to allow for any delay gettting to the airport after the ship docks.

Always book your own airfare. Then you can be assured of having times to your liking.

I am always a bit suspicious of those who claim there is only one way to do things, - their way. :rolleyes: Life isn't about absolutes (except perhaps for death and taxes;)). My advice is:"DON'T ALWAYS book your airfare on your own and DON'T ALWAYS book through the cruiseline." Check out the prices and see which offers you the best prices. There are times when the cruiseline will actually offer a better price than you can get if you book directly with the airline. That is especially the case during school vacation periods, or with one way or open-jaw flights. Unless you check out both methods you can't be certain of getting the best deal.

If you have cruised with RCI enough times to have earned Platinum status in their Crown and Anchor Society, you can use their Custom Air department to get flights that YOU want so you can select a flight and schedule that is to your liking and the Custom Air fee is waived. You can use Custom Air and still fly in a day or two before and you can book a hotel through the cruiseline or on your own, so that should not be a deciding factor as to which method you use to book. :)

As with so many situations, one size does not fit all. Investigate both methods of booking for the date and time you are cruising and then go with whichever one is best.

Book own - from reading boards I'd say most book their own as prices are better and they have better choices of flights and have more control over them too.

I figured this would be the usual response and probably for valid reasons. I will argue about the phrase "better choice of flights" That might be more choice of flights, but not always better. In my case, flying from Columbus, Ohio to Miami, American Airlines has a great direct flight that arrives in Miami at 10am, which is perfect for early boarding in Miami. The flight is a small regional jet, seating (from memory) about 30 people. Getting that flight on your own can be nearly impossible as RCI has them booked way in advance, and perhaps on reserve. The three times I have been on that flight its easy to tell that a majority of the people on the flight are heading for a cruise. Last time it was half Carnival people and half RCI people.Other choices may be cheaper, but not as conveneint. (sp) On the one cruise I took and booked my own flights, I saved $100 per person, but the flights were not as desirable. When cruising from Miami, I will probably let RCI make my flights. My next cruise is April from Ft. Lauderdale and again I have let RCI make the reservations for me. Since I booked in November of 07, the flights have gone up and it would cost me $500 per person to rebook the same cruise based on air alone. However, I will probably call Crown and Anchor in January and find out what my flight schedule is,and then look around.

PS. on that last flight the incoming flight flew low directly over the port and a bunch of women who were headed to Carnival said, "Is that our ship, its huge" I had to speak up and say, not Thats Royal's Freedom of the seas, yours is the tuna boat behind it :)

For 1st cruise, I compared price of airfare with RCL & seperately. I also have health issues that make it hard for me to get going in the AM, so when I found out there was an extra charge for special needs airfare, & still didn't have exact times, I found it easier and cheaper to book the airfare on our own. We always fly in day early, especially for the winter cruises, never know what the weather is going to be like here in Cleveland! I think booking your own airfare makes it easier to make transportation & hotel reservations too!

Whether its cheaper to book flights on your own depends, and the only way to know for sure its to try both..

A good caveat, I think your right most of the time, but it is worth checking.

, never know what the weather is going to be like here in Cleveland! !

Growing up on the south shore of Lake Erie, I can appreciate. How long under good weather does it take you to get from Akron to the airport? (Hopkins I assume)

Book your own air. Save about 50%. Pick your own flights at own your convienence.

Unless, of course, the cruiseline airfare is cheaper which sometimes can happen (see school vacation periods, one way flights, open jaw flights etc.). If you can use custom air you can still pick the most convenient flight schedules. I think that even when cruise line airfares are more expensive they are rarely 50% more expensive, but if and when that is the case it is obviously better to book your own. The point is that it is not ALWAYS better to book one way instead of the other. An intelligent and informed flyer will check out both options before deciding. Anyone who believes there is only one way of doing it needs to remember Emerson's comments about "a foolish consistency being the hobgoblin of little minds adored by little statesmen, philosophers and divines".:D

I agree with you, negc, we booked our flight through Royal Caribbean, because we are entitled to custom air. I picked the flights according to the time and I also picked the airline. We are flying to Rome 2 days earlier and Royal Caribbean will pick us up at the airport, take us to the hotel and then pick us up at the hotel and take us to the port. This was important to us because this is our first Med. cruise. Madmarti:o

PS. on that last flight the incoming flight flew low directly over the port and a bunch of women who were headed to Carnival said, "Is that our ship, its huge" I had to speak up and say, not Thats Royal's Freedom of the seas, yours is the tuna boat behind it :)

Tuna boat??? Ouch, that was evil!:D

But I like the way you think.

As for flights, I always book my own air, direct flights if at all possible and fly in a the day before and fly back the day after. Vacations are supposed to be stress free. At least, that's the way I like them.

Aubie

We always schedule our own flights. We also purchase private travel insurance this way our flights and cruise are covered incase there are any problems.

Because we live in an area with a smaller airport, we get better prices booking separately and we don't have to pay the additional fee that RCCL charges to fly in a day or so early. We usually cruise over the winter months, so if leaving from southern port, we try to go at least one day early incase of weather.

We at least price out their cruises with the flights but have always found them cheaper on our own.

We always schedule our own flights. We also purchase private travel insurance this way our flights and cruise are covered incase there are any problems.

Because we live in an area with a smaller airport, we get better prices booking separately and we don't have to pay the additional fee that RCCL charges to fly in a day or so early. We usually cruise over the winter months, so if leaving from southern port, we try to go at least one day early incase of weather.

We at least price out their cruises with the flights but have always found them cheaper on our own.

I fully understand your situation and your decision, but I am unaware of any additional fee that RCCL charges to fly in a day or so early, unless you are referring to the Custom Air fee, which is waived once you have achieved Platinum status (accrued five cruise credits with RCI). We have flown in as many as six days prior to our cruise date and have never been charged extra by Royal Caribbean to do so and the RCI cruise fare usually includes transfers from the airport to either the hotel or the pier, and, if you book the hotel through them, both.

Purchasing travel insurance especially for cruises in the winter months is definitely a good idea since even planning to fly in a day early doesn't guarantee that a winter storm won't disrupt your flight plans and cause you to miss your cruise.:)

Growing up on the south shore of Lake Erie, I can appreciate. How long under good weather does it take you to get from Akron to the airport? (Hopkins I assume)

Hi Bill OH!

Cle/Hopkins is a good 45 mins to 1 hr depending on traffic & weather. CAK is only 25 mins from our house, but I'd rather fly non-stop flight on bigger plane during the winter. CAK doesn't have any direct flights to MIA. We've only used CAK to Orlando, non-stop going down, but problem coming back through Atlanta. We had to fly into Columbus and ask parents to come pick us up. Not real convenient.

Unless, of course, the cruiseline airfare is cheaper which sometimes can happen (see school vacation periods, one way flights, open jaw flights etc.). If you can use custom air you can still pick the most convenient flight schedules. I think that even when cruise line airfares are more expensive they are rarely 50% more expensive, but if and when that is the case it is obviously better to book your own. The point is that it is not ALWAYS better to book one way instead of the other. An intelligent and informed flyer will check out both options before deciding. Anyone who believes there is only one way of doing it needs to remember Emerson's comments about "a foolish consistency being the hobgoblin of little minds adored by little statesmen, philosophers and divines".:D

Hi Bill! We've been back for a week and the Brilliance is as great a ship as ever. Rusti & Erik send their best to you. We finally even got to meet Clo. She's back on the Brilliance as CD, with her husband and son. The boy looks like he's made for the business!!

Best cruise on this great ship so far.

Give our best to Rita, Carol and I miss you guys.

Aubie

Hi Bill! We've been back for a week and the Brilliance is as great a ship as ever. Rusti & Erik send their best to you. We finally even got to meet Clo. She's back on the Brilliance as CD, with her husband and son. The boy looks like he's made for the business!!

Best cruise on this great ship so far.

Give our best to Rita, Carol and I miss you guys.

Aubie

We miss you guys too. Glad you met Clo. She remains one of our favorite CDs and we had hoped that she would be coming to the Jewel. Captain MacDonald will be at the helm for our repo cruise so it would have been a reunion of sorts. Will bring my Brilliance Bar Crawlers shirt on the repo just for old times sake.:)

We miss you guys too. Glad you met Clo. She remains one of our favorite CDs and we had hoped that she would be coming to the Jewel. Captain MacDonald will be at the helm for our repo cruise so it would have been a reunion of sorts. Will bring my Brilliance Bar Crawlers shirt on the repo just for old times sake.:)

I wore my shirt the day we boarded but didn't meet CLO til our first M&M. They changed the day and time for it and alot of people apparently didn't get the note. Out of 98 signed up, only 11 of us showed up. On the up side, almost everyone got a door prize. I walked up to her and introduced myself and mentiond that we had cruised with you two before but never had the pleasure of meeting the "Famous Clo". Laughingly she told me I'd be cruising free for life and even said that she knew you two were cruising mainly on the Jewel. :D On our second M&M about 45 showed up so more door prizes were handed out, nice spread of food that she made us take back what was left over to our cabins or else the kitchen would be in an uproar. It did make for a nice spread for our wine and cheese party on the balcony later that evening.

We've been thinking of a fall NE cruise for the future, ask Rita if she has any good suggestions for 2010.:D

Gary

Getting back to the OP. THere is no corrrect answer here. It all depends. Our second cruise wa a southbond Alaska cruise, and we were liiving in So. Fl. at the time. And before we had all of these web sites on the internet to find information. Our TA used the cruise line book the transportation. FLL to Houston to Seattle to Anchorage. All different airlines. THen the transfer to the ship, if I remember a several hour bus ride from the airport to the ship. I questioned the wisdom of this arrangement, I was assured that the airluinees valued the cruise line business and would make every effort to be sure we got there, along with our luggage, which was transfered to each stop and after we checked it in FLL , we didn't see it ti;; anchorage, where the cruise line picked iit up and got it to the ship. But, we were dead when we got there, and adapting to the time change took a while. Knowing what I know now, with many cruises out of the way, I would do it again, probably. That was also the last time we flew in on the day of the cruise, but they did hold the ship for the last minute arrivals since they had booked them.

Archived