Baked Beans! What Do You Think?

RG10203

As others have said, beans are a real staple in the UK.

After a busy week, my husband took my usual duty and cooked tonight - the only thing he does -eggs, chips and beans - yum yum.

While we are being infantile -try this one ...

Pardon me for burping

It came from my heart

Had it gone the other way

It would have been a fart

A fart is very useful

It gives the body ease

It warms the bed in winter

And suffocates the fleas!

As others have said, beans are a real staple in the UK.

After a busy week, my husband took my usual duty and cooked tonight - the only thing he does -eggs, chips and beans - yum yum.

While we are being infantile -try this one ...

Pardon me for burping

It came from my heart

Had it gone the other way

It would have been a fart

A fart is very useful

It gives the body ease

It warms the bed in winter

And suffocates the fleas!

LOL. Have never heard that one! Nothing like a little potty humor to bring out the kid in you! The old dutch oven!

While we are on the subject of baked beans..... we were on one of the first cruises out of Galveston on the Rhapsody. They had Mexican food for lunch in the Windjammer one day and it was your usual taco spread except for the beans were baked beans. It was funny at the time. :D

I had no idea that beans for breakfast were not common world wide. Now when you see haggis and tattie scones on the menu you will know they are really catering for the Scots!

One thing I connot for the life of me understand is how someone could have a nice plate of eggs, hash browns, sausage etc, and then pour maple syrup over it. I love pancakes and maple syrup, but not on the same plate as the rest of my breakfast. Funny how we are so similar, yet so different.

Can anyone tell me if I will get beans on Mariner next April? Maybe they will be Mexican, with a hint of chilli, yum!

Ya know..... On the Mariner a couple months ago the hot tub was out of order..... Yet everytime I walked there was plenty of bubbles......:eek:

Must have been those bean eating Brtitts sitting in it. :D

I remember walking by a table in the wind jammer and saw a plate that had a piece of toast a layer of beans and an undercooked egg covering that. I thought some kids must be playing..... Then someone came by and actually started eating them....

Like a poster said.... different strokes for different folks

I had no idea that beans for breakfast were not common world wide. Now when you see haggis and tattie scones on the menu you will know they are really catering for the Scots!

One thing I connot for the life of me understand is how someone could have a nice plate of eggs, hash browns, sausage etc, and then pour maple syrup over it. I love pancakes and maple syrup, but not on the same plate as the rest of my breakfast. Funny how we are so similar, yet so different.

Can anyone tell me if I will get beans on Mariner next April? Maybe they will be Mexican, with a hint of chilli, yum!

I had a similar thought when I saw all the cakes out at breakfast time.

Who eats cake for breakfast?:eek:

I guess that thought skipped me by when I was lining up at 10.30 for my second breakfast /morning tea of those yummy chocolate croissants:D:D

Baked beans are still a popular side dish with breakfast up here in Maine. We have a local truckstop (Dysart's) that is famous for them. My husband and father both love them anytime so they will be very happy to see beans for breakfast.

I, on the other hand, will be very happy that we will be in a GS and I will be able to have the door to the balcony wide open to fumigate the room.:D

Dysarts is still wonderful (but not the same as what it was back in the 70's... before they discovered tourist pricing). When my DD was born the servers would take her back into the kitchen while my DH and I had a nice quiet breakfast!!!

Baked beans is a staple for breakfast here along with homefries. I think that the beans are usually left over from Saturday night supper. Which for all the "old" Maine people is hot dogs (no buns ... and they have to be red) with baked beans. Then there is also beans with biscuits, etc. Jan

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take - but by the moments that take our breath away."

DEB

OMG...This is so funny!!!! I know some CAN take your breath away!

Another great reason to take the stairs and not the elevator! :eek: :eek: :D

Baked beans for breakfast is not unusual in New England especially among "old Yankee" types. Probably a holdover from their English roots way back. I can remember as a child my grandfather having beans for breakfast and my father making cold baked bean sandwiches which are not nearly as bad tasting as they sound!!! I am now a senior citizen myself, so we are talking quite a few years ago, but the tradition still exists though maybe not as popular as it once was. I saw them on one of our cruises at breakfast and had some...very good with bacon and eggs and they are good for you,too!

I grew up outside of Boston and every one I knew had Beans on Saturday night for supper if they were eating at home. I am 43 and I can say that the tradition is nearly dead. I can honestly say if they are beans with molasses I am NOT interested. It was a chore to choke them down on Saturday nights. I am not glad to see the tradition go but I am glad I don't have to eat them anymore. I love mexican refried beans!

Tom

I was surprised to see them too but now DH looks forward to having them when we cruise. I don't care for "sweet" beans so it's something we don't normally have at home. One time at the grocery he picked up a can of baked beans and had them for breakfast at home! Just doesn't seem like a breakfast food to me but to each his own!

You have to buy the Heinz Vegetarian baked beans to get the equivalent of the UK ones here. Yummy.

What is called British Bacon in the US, in hotels on land as well as onboard,is most certainly not what we call bacon. Our bacon is usually a much more "meatier" slice. What the ship calls British Bacon is what we call Streaky. This is a very cheap bacon and is normally used for placing over or wrapping chicken pieces in, to keep them moist. Some people do prefer Streaky but not many. And as for Baked Beans...ugh

Oh come on Sandra......you must like to have a Magnificent 7 for breakfast. :p :p :D

We have a wee rhyme here with regard to baked beans-

Beans beans good for the heart, the more you eat, the more you fart :o

Beans on toast with melted cheese on top is scrummy :D

I heartily agree. I even love leftover refrieds on whatever bread product is handy with the whole mess covered in melted cheese and then some chopped tomatoes on the side.

I agree. IMO, the only thing that can be delicious with pancakes and syrup is a good lean sausage. I prefer sausage with potatoes and eggs though. Eggs and syrup? Yuck. Hash browns or other potatoes and syrup? Ick. (OTOH, hash browns with melted cheese on top, yum.) I never put my pancakes and syrup on a plate with any other items.

Dysarts is still wonderful (but not the same as what it was back in the 70's... before they discovered tourist pricing). When my DD was born the servers would take her back into the kitchen while my DH and I had a nice quiet breakfast!!!

Baked beans is a staple for breakfast here along with homefries. I think that the beans are usually left over from Saturday night supper. Which for all the "old" Maine people is hot dogs (no buns ... and they have to be red) with baked beans. Then there is also beans with biscuits, etc. Jan

Yummy together. Just top with, you guessed it, melted cheese, and you've got a fabulous leftover breakfast. Put a bowl of fresh fruit on the side and it's a heavenly meal.

beachchick

We have just returned from 3 weeks in China. I was so surprised to see baked beans at the breakfast buffets.

Yes, and in Beijing we were amused by the name card 'RED BEAN STEW' for what was obviously canned baked beans.;)

My father was in the Navy and they ate beans at nearly every meal on the ship.

He would love cold baked bean sandwiches.:eek:

He loved those and SOS(creamed chipped beef on toast) another Navy staple.:o

My dad was anavy man too and always said the SOS wasn't as bad as everyone joked.

A few years back one of the cooking show hosts (I wanna say The Frugal Gourmet) made it on his show and it looked really good , so I tried making it. Now granted he used better ingredients and it was a smaller quantity than the mess hall slop , but it was pretty good.

British bacon is NOT a cheaper, fattier rasher than the American one. In fact, a typical rasher is at least 2-3 times larger with much more meat and the fatty part is on the edge not all the way thru. Baked beans and grilled tomatoes for breakfast....yummy!!

Lynda, originally a Lancashire Lass.

As others have said, baked beans are not uncommon in many breakfast places here in New England. But they are definitely different than the more tomato based ones that they serve on the ship. Dark, molasses based, baked beans are true Boston Baked Beans. They are especially popular in the many diners and truck stops.

Now as to eggs and syrup. Yummmmm.....my favorite breakfast restaurant here had a dish called "The New Englander" which is eggs scrambled in maple syrup and served with home fries, Canadian Bacon and beans. It's my favorite. :)

My dad was anavy man too and always said the SOS wasn't as bad as everyone joked.

A few years back one of the cooking show hosts (I wanna say The Frugal Gourmet) made it on his show and it looked really good , so I tried making it. Now granted he used better ingredients and it was a smaller quantity than the mess hall slop , but it was pretty good.

I remember the creamed chipped beef on toast from my chilhood. I loved it! Probably isn't too healthy, but back then it was a filling and economical supper that would feed a lot of people....definitely all priorities when I was growing up. Can you still get the beef in those little glass jars??

Archived