Noro Virus?

Slyfox16

The CDC says:

"Usually gastroenteritis associated with noroviruses is self-limited. Oral or intravenous rehydration may become necessary if severe vomiting or diarrhe persist."

Go to the doctor on board and be evaluated. You'll probably just be told what to eat and to drink lots of fluids.

We start taking "airborne" a few days before our cruise. I don't know if they have something that will actually ward off the virus, but washing hands is one of the best preventive yet, and using the hand sanitizer on the ship.

I also would like to know what others use to keep from getting the virus or what they use when they do.

"The makers of Airborne tablets have agreed to pay $30 million to settle a lawsuit and federal regulators' charges that they made false claims about the cold-fighting benefits of the fruit-flavored remedies.

The Federal Trade Commission said Thursday there is no evidence that products from Bonita Springs, Fla.-based Airborne Health Inc. "provide any tangible benefit for people who are exposed to germs in crowded places."

I follow what the CDC recommends:

"Wash hands often. Wash hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.

Avoid shaking hands during outbreaks.

Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer along with handwashing."

And I try to avoid touching my face (hard, because I have a fairly new beard) and avoid touching things like elevator buttons, railings, etc.

But you can do everything recommended and still get the virus - it's very readily spread. I hadn't heard a lot about Norovirus lately, but according to the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program, there have been a number of outbreaks this year:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

Even with that lawsuit I think part of it is a mental thing. If I have a cold I will take one or two and some coldeze and I think that I'm thinking I'm getting better so it helps.

I must say the two days I had Noro were probably the two most relaxing days of my contract. Two full days off! :D

I use the hand sanitizers every time I pass one and I usually carry my own little Purell bottle with me in my pocket. I try not to touch the most commonly touched things.. ie. door handle when leaving the bathroom after washing my hands, elevator button, etc, with my bare hands. Like leaving a bathroom I always use a paper towel from the bathroom to open the door with, in the elevator I will use a napkin or tissue from my pocket to touch the button with, etc. I know I'm a germaphobe, but I do this on the ship or at work, etc. Even going down stairs using a hand rail or up and escalator and having to hold on the hand rail I immediately use my Purell afterwards. I'm so bad, when watching something like FoodTV I get mad when I see the hosts of the show cooking and they do not follow good rules to prevent cross contamination..lol

Make sure you're not about to eat before reading this story that appeared on the BBC website recently:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7667499.stm

Pretty disgusting stats.

I try to avoid as much hand draping and face touching as possible when I'm on the ship to reduce the risk of getting Norovirus and I wash my hands plenty and use the hand sanitizers. It's become almost automatic now. Never 100% foolproof, but it's got to help.

Phil

What is the best medication anyone has taken if they get the virus?

Stomach flu doesn't react to medication. Nothing but time cures it..

Best thing is to drink fluids to replace what is usually lost by the symptoms. Water isn't always the best - it usually comes back up anyway but ginger ale or coke can be more palatable.

Best bet is to be an obsessive hand-washer. Wash frequently with soap and water, and do it well. Keep your hands and fingers away from your face and mouth. If the virus is onboard, try to avoid handrails, doorknobs and other places where people use their hands a lot.

It will run it's course - usually 24 hours or so. Stay in your cabin to avoid passing it on to others; it's highly contagious.

During the outbreak - if there is one - avoid the public restrooms and go back to your own cabin to use the bathroom. Also if you are already suffering, please do other people a favour - do not use public restrooms.

TERRY-

Have A GREAT, SAFE Trip!!!

Can't wait to hear the details when you get back.

Kathy

My son has intestine issues and when he gets a stomach bug it hits him very hard. We are taking him on his first cruise in Jan. Norovirus is my biggest concern as he'll only be almost 3 yrs old and touching everything. So my question is that the cruise line is able to offer IV's for dehydration on board? Do they just charge you on your on board acct for that? Do they absorb some costs if it is an outbreak? I'd read some posts awhile back about people being charged for Tylenol at a ridiculous cost so I can imagine what an IV would cost!! Thanks!

Best Advice is to stay away from Buffets where you serve yourself and get everyone elses germs on the serving utensils. If they serve you its much better. We take Cipro when we go to Mexico and also bring Pepto bismol.

My son has intestine issues and when he gets a stomach bug it hits him very hard. We are taking him on his first cruise in Jan. Norovirus is my biggest concern as he'll only be almost 3 yrs old and touching everything. So my question is that the cruise line is able to offer IV's for dehydration on board? Do they just charge you on your on board acct for that? Do they absorb some costs if it is an outbreak? I'd read some posts awhile back about people being charged for Tylenol at a ridiculous cost so I can imagine what an IV would cost!! Thanks!

My mom was not charged for any medical bills for her Norovirus treatment. Luckily it was a 14 night cruise and she was only out of commission 3 days. She still says it was the best cruise she went on.

as long as the noro visus isn't on the ship you will have nothing to worry about. If there is an outbreak som of the costs may be absorbed by the cruise line...such as visiting the sick bay...if you have to absorb the cost it will be added to your account. When you get home your travel insurance should pick up the cost of medical attention, possibly your health insurance will as well.

Nita

Stomach flu doesn't react to medication. Nothing but time cures it..

Best thing is to drink fluids to replace what is usually lost by the symptoms. Water isn't always the best - it usually comes back up anyway but ginger ale or coke can be more palatable.

Best bet is to be an obsessive hand-washer. Wash frequently with soap and water' date=' and do it well. Keep your hands and fingers away from your face and mouth. If the virus is onboard, try to avoid handrails, doorknobs and other places where people use their hands a lot.

It will run it's course - usually 24 hours or so. Stay in your cabin to avoid passing it on to others; it's highly contagious.[/quote']

I am an obsessive handwasher but still got noro on a cruise to Norway a few years ago. After a few days there were no saltines or ginger ale left on the ship. The worst part is only 6-8 hours and then a day of weakness. For those who haven't had it, the force of the vomiting and then dry heaves was such that my shoulders, neck, and parts of my face had tiny bruises from capillaries bursting.

Viv

Archived