Barbados Beaches...... SST

sail7seas

When in Barbados (ship doesn't sail until very late at night), we want to go to the beach and also tour the SST they have on exhibit.

I'll go over to the ports of call section but wonder if anyone here has done the SST tour on their own or did they go with the ship's tour?

Did you combine with a beach? One nearer to the ship or the SST?

We're thiniking about Malibu (I think there's a bit of nice shopping nearby :)) or Paynes Beach though Brian's luxurious property looks/sounds glorious. Not sure we want so fancy pantsy. I'm in a down and dirty, casual, carefree sort of mood. We want a beach where we can rent a chair, have lunch, easily catch a taxi back and don't much care if the water is rough or not. Any suggestions?

Maybe we could go to Hilton Hotel?

Whaddaya think?

I can't speak to the beach/SST combination, but we did do the SST tour last November, and it was very interesting! Once inside the hanger - you are given a multimedia presentation on the plane. Then get to tour some artifacts (menus, china, etc) while waiting to board the plane. On board the plane - you get to sit in the seats - not as small as I was also told by people who've flown it - and have a short film, look at how small everything is and exit the plane.

Just know upfront that as of last November, the DO NOT ALLOW video camera's inside the hanger. They will take them away from you.

All in all, a very interesting visit. I'd like to go back some day - on my own, when not part of a multi-stop tour. Really would like to have had more time to look at some of the artifacts and exhibits before being herded on the plane and then back to the bus - for a very strict bus driver. Nice, but time driven!

Enjoy your cruise!

When in Barbados (ship doesn't sail until very late at night), we want to go to the beach and also tour the SST they have on exhibit.

I'll go over to the ports of call section but wonder if anyone here has done the SST tour on their own or did they go with the ship's tour?

Did you combine with a beach? One nearer to the ship or the SST?

We're thiniking about Malibu (I think there's a bit of nice shopping nearby :)) or Paynes Beach though Brian's luxurious property looks/sounds glorious. Not sure we want so fancy pantsy. I'm in a down and dirty, casual, carefree sort of mood. We want a beach where we can rent a chair, have lunch, easily catch a taxi back and don't much care if the water is rough or not. Any suggestions?

Maybe we could go to Hilton Hotel?

Whaddaya think?

I have a timeshare in Barbados and go every spring. I have done the SST tour twice. It is very interesting with a mutimedia presentation and the opportunity to board the plane. The woman who does the presentation is very good and it is an enjoyable experience. It should not be missed since this is the only place in the world to have such an exhibit.

This is a rough estimate since we usually rent a car in Barbados. A taxi from the pier should cost about $50BDS which translates into $25US. The same thing for the return. Malibu Beach is not far from the port so that should cost much less to get back to the ship.

I would caution you to have the taxi driver wait for you at the Concorde exhibit. While it is at the airport, the taxis are not plentiful at the exhibit.

Maybe they can call one for you, but I would just ask him to come back in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to pick you up.

I hoe you enjoy the exhibit. It is extremely worthwhile. If you have more questions, let me know.

Terri

I would recommend The Crane Beach. Have lunch there and go to the Concorde on the way or on the way back.

The Crane is the most beautiful beach and you could have lunch at the hotel restaurant.

Crane is beautiful. However, if you want calm water, this is NOT the place. It would be a nice place for lunch, good food and beautiful view. You don't have to be dressed up at lunch time.

I would recommend a west coast beach if you want calm water, either Malibu beach Club or Paynes Bay. Both places allow you to rent chairs and umbrellas. They are also closer to the port.

Terri

Supersonic Transport

One of the retired Concorde jetliners.

[hijack]There is another one that can be toured at the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle.[/hijack]

IC! I never saw it referred to it that way :)

Interestingly enough, there is an article and picture in today's NY Times of the Concorde being placed back on the Interpid (after its renovation).

Sail, sometimes we like to do some research on the islands and find a nice resort to spend the day. We've eaten lunch and then been able to rent a chair and umbrella and enjoy the beach. I've never been to Barbados, but did this in Aruba and wound up at the most beautiful hotel that had been suggested by a friend.

We've done that also, Carol. For example, we booked a room at The Ritz in San Juan so we could spend the day there. It was wonderful. We love the beach it's on and we had a fabulous day.

We only want to spend a few hours at the beach, have lunch and see the SST. That is a full enough day for me. We'll probably do a little shopping when back at the port and that will be a wonderful day in Barbados. We've been there at least 6-8 times in the past but don't remember what beach we went to last as it was a long time ago when we 'beached it' in Barbados.

We've done that also, Carol. For example, we booked a room at The Ritz in San Juan so we could spend the day there. It was wonderful. We love the beach it's on and we had a fabulous day.

We only want to spend a few hours at the beach, have lunch and see the SST. That is a full enough day for me. We'll probably do a little shopping when back at the port and that will be a wonderful day in Barbados. We've been there at least 6-8 times in the past but don't remember what beach we went to last as it was a long time ago when we 'beached it' in Barbados.

Sounds like a great day to me.

I would recommend The Crane Beach. Have lunch there and go to the Concorde on the way or on the way back.

The Crane is the most beautiful beach and you could have lunch at the hotel restaurant.

I also recommend Crane Beach.. One of the most,if not the most beautiful beach settings I have been to..It is a must see..

Bulldog

We take a taxi to the Hilton and buy day passes, $25pp. You get a chair, towel, nice beach and gorgeous pools.

I asked about the Hilton in one of my earlier posts but no one mentioned it.

How far a ride is it from the port?

I seem to remember we once visited at The Hilton on a cruise years ago and thought it quite pretty. I think our taxi (tour guy) left us for about an hour to enjoy the property. Has it been well maintained?

I asked about the Hilton in one of my earlier posts but no one mentioned it.

How far a ride is it from the port?

I seem to remember we once visited at The Hilton on a cruise years ago and thought it quite pretty. I think our taxi (tour guy) left us for about an hour to enjoy the property. Has it been well maintained?

The Hilton is about a 15 minute ride from the port. However, it is a good distance from the airport (Concorde). It has a beautiful beach and they have a very nice buffet lunch. It is a good recommendation.

Lunch at the Crane is nicer.

Terri

Archived