EURODAM: infirmary

JimVrhovac

I was given the opportunity to visit the infirmary and was given a complete tour of the facility. I was allowed to taken pictures and no restrictions were placed on my questions or taking pictures.

Ruth and I are both Registered Nurses and Ruth worked in Emergency Room prior to retirement so we have some knowledge in this area.

There are two doctors on staff. The Passanger doctor is American or Canadian Licensed and has active experience in critical care or emergency room and is CPR & ALS Certified. The Crew doctor is licensed. All the nurses are critical care or emergency room certified and licensed in the United States and Canada. In questioning these nurses they were knowledgable in their fields.

There are four beds in the Infirmiry. One critical care and three normal. Each one has its own room. They have basic lab and X-Ray facilities amd have computer links with major hospitals in the United States if necessary for advise or assistance. The cary a basic stock of medications and antibiotice and few narcotics.

Their major job is to stabilize a critical patient until they can be transported to a land hospital. If it is necessary they can make all the air ambulance arrangements, Ambulance arrangement, and all shoreside arrangements prior to the ship docking when a patient has to be transported. If it iwas necessary they could transport vis Coast Guard Helicopter but this would have to be an extreme emergency.

Both Ruth and I have used the infirmary for minor problems over the years and have been very satisfied with the services provided. We always received a call back the next day for follow up by the nursing staff. One time the doctor saw us in the ocean;s bar and stopped to ask how we were doing.

I would have all the confidence to be treated by these facilities.

Some Pictures:

1 - Front Desk

2 - Patient Room

3 - MD Office

4 - Medication storage

5 - X-Ray machine

Ruth & Jim

IMG_0324.jpg.5bf7e50e84c7cd02fe8300cc64b4c3d5.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg.8446c320c9cf4e546124ef6e0dc2ebf6.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg.98ce0a6610ca85bdaef5cb895fd1ca26.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg.7f35edf5a62df997dfb3c61f014cb9ad.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg.ec721c64c8ba27a15f9c790b98e00813.jpg

We would like to take the opportunity to thank Captain Mercer for allowing us to visit, photograph the facility, and ask questions of the staff. We would like to thank the staff for taking the time to answer our questions and show us around.

1 - Exam room

2 - Patient room

3 - Patient room

IMG_0330.jpg.d78261fa78a9a91570fa0f9b7d832a52.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg.ed2f89f1612e9909a00472ffa1e5eb73.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg.ad8ea9d3c85aad8235118a97650433ad.jpg

Wow, I even saw a gyne table in one of the photos. Seems very organized. ---- Penny

The last thing I'm going to do on a cruise is have my annual gyno exam! :eek: :D

I'm sure there's a need for the stirrups, i.e., in case of a pregnancy emergency. It's comforting to know they've got all bases covered.

Diane

Good pics Jim.

We have used the infirmary on Ryndam and Westerdam. On Westerdam my husband was observed for heart problems. He had great care and also had a second oppinion from our tablemate, a kidney dialysis doctor on board for that program. My husband now has a pacemaker.

I visited the infirmary on Ryndam about my thyroid. This was a problem due to timing from radioactive iodine treatment and a canceled appointment from my endocrynologist and not getting test results back before the cruise. I asked that the doc at least email the results when they came in. The results were the treatment had done its job and I was now dangerously low on my thyroid count with no thyroid meds. The ship did not have any but told me how to get it in Puerto Vallarta.

My sister broke her arm in St. Thomas -Feb.07

Took her to the Sun Princess infirmary.

Doctor told us to wait until she (the doctor)finished eating.

X-Rays revealed the break. The doctor then put a HUGE plaster cast on the arm. Also the arm angle looked very odd.

When we got her back to an orthopedic doctor in Cape Coral Fl where she lives he was shocked. He said he hadn`t seen a cast like that in twenty years. He also said the angle of her arm in the cast was totally incorrect.

On the Noordam III, I had to visit the infirmary when I tore tendons in my foot. Since I had a pre-existing condition that already required meds, the doctor was especially concerned about the type of meds that I would need for pain and how they would all interact. I was impressed with his knowledge and care plus the follow-up I received during the rest of the cruise. I think all passengers can be assured that HAL provides quality medical care.

Funny thing about the morgue...I just read an obit in the paper this morning....it said that a guy (not even that old...in his 40's I think) passed away while on a Hawaiin cruise. My DH and I said that he probably ate himself to death (unkind humor, but we just got back from a cruise and almost ate ourselves to death once or twice!). How weird would that be to leave with your lover on a cruise and come back alone? I can hardly imagine how those last few days would be ending the cruise with your loved one chiling in the morgue. Weird, for sure! I will hug my DH a little closer tonight, for sure. Just never know I guess.

Ruth is disabled from trying to move morbidly obese patient and does not wotk. SHe does keep her license updated.

I work in home health full time and must keep mine updated. It is better than staying in the house all day.

I will probably have a coronary in one of my patients houses.

Homecare is the type where can raise or lower work load to fit needs.

Ruth & Jim

If you go to the front desk and identify yourself as a health care professional (RN or MD) and request a tour of the infirmary they will probably give you one and a lot more detailed than they would to the average person.

Best to ask and not just drop me...

Ruth & Jim

Not that weird, royalcruz. Unfortunately, sometimes there's a need for it. Yes, there's accommodations when someone dies on a cruise.
I got a "behind the scenes" tour on my Zuiderdam cruise back in 2004. Yes, there is a special "unit" called the "coffin room." The one on the Zuiderdam could hold up to four. They are stored on shelves, presumably in body bags.

Sadly people do die on cruises, particularly the longer ones that have a greater percentage of older folks with various major health issues. On the cruise I just got off of, on the Statendam, to my knowledge we had one person pass away and they were taken off the ship when we docked back in San Diego at the end of the cruise (presumably due to the timing of the death ... I think it was before Nuku Hiva and there was no way to transport them home from there.) But, from what I understand, normally a person who passes away is taken off the ship at the next port and repatriated home for burial.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Funny thing about the morgue...I just read an obit in the paper this morning....it said that a guy (not even that old...in his 40's I think) passed away while on a Hawaiin cruise. My DH and I said that he probably ate himself to death (unkind humor, but we just got back from a cruise and almost ate ourselves to death once or twice!). How weird would that be to leave with your lover on a cruise and come back alone? I can hardly imagine how those last few days would be ending the cruise with your loved one chiling in the morgue. Weird, for sure! I will hug my DH a little closer tonight, for sure. Just never know I guess.

I felt so bad for this woman on the Statendam who had to endure over a week on the ship after her husband passed away. Apparently, he had suffered some sort of emergency. They called a "bright star" to his cabin one evening, and apparently he had been stabilized but died a bit later.

RevNeal can probably shed far more light on this subject, but from what I understand everything possible is done to support the next of kin while they remain on the ship. The services of onboard clergy are made available to the next of kin if they want it, and I believe they do whatever they can to help the next of kin ... taking meals with them, counseling, spending time with them, etc. ... whatever is necessary to make their remaining time on the ship bearable.

It's a sad situation, but it does happen and it would seem that Holland America is prepared to deal with it. At least that's some comfort.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived