2008 Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards Winners

Clutterlady

Interesting.............

2008 Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards Winners

Cruise Critic's editorial team is pleased to bring you the 2008 Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards. We've combined our cruising expertise to come up with a list of cruise lines that offer a superior cruising experience in a variety of categories. Now we're honoring those lines with our best-in-class awards. Please join us in saying a heartfelt "thank you" to all the cruise lines that have gone above and beyond industry standards to make vacations at sea so wonderful!

If you want nothing but the best on your next cruise, check out our list of the 2008 best cruise lines.

Cruising’s Best

Best Family Cruise Ships – Royal Caribbean International

Best Luxury Cruise Ships – Crystal Cruises

Best Dining – Oceania Cruises

Best for Romance – Princess Cruises

Best Spa and Fitness – Royal Caribbean International

Best Cabins – Holland America Line

Best Value for Money – Carnival Cruise Lines

Best Itineraries – Azamara Cruises

Best Entertainment – Norwegian Cruise Line

Best Shore Excursions – Carnival Cruise Lines

Best Family Cruises

Best Kids’ Programs – Disney Cruise Line

Best Teen Programs – Royal Caribbean International

Best Multi-Generational – Princess Cruises – Grand Class

Best Luxury Cruises

Best Luxury Dining – Crystal Cruises

Best Luxury Service – SeaDream Yacht Club

Best Luxury Staterooms – Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Best Dining

Best Main Restaurant – Carnival Cruise Lines – Conquest Class

Best Specialty Restaurants – Oceania Cruises

Best Healthful & Alternative Dining – Celebrity Cruises

Best for Romance

Best for Honeymoons – Windstar Cruises

Best for Weddings – Princess Cruises

Best for Couples – Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ Paul Gauguin

Best Spa, Recreation and Fitness

Best Pool Deck – Royal Caribbean International – Voyager/Freedom Classes

Best for Fitness Enthusiasts – Royal Caribbean International

Best Spas – Costa Cruises' Samsara Spa – Concordia Class

Best Cabins

Best Standard Staterooms – Holland America Line – Signature Class

Best Suites – Norwegian Cruise Line – Jewel Class

Best Family Cabins – Disney Cruise Line

I can't believe how they rated Carnival in food. I have heard so many people say that was what they didn't like. They should have had a rating for specialty dining. Chops is great and so is the Sterling!

They do have a rating for specialty dining. It was won by Oceania.

Carnival did not win best food. They rated it best main restaurant. I think the main restaurants are very good. I liked it better than RCI's. Carnival falls short in the buffet area. However, Harry's on the Liberty is a very good specialty restaurant. Overall, Carnival does well in the food area. I like Carnival. It has its weakenesses and this poll was for bests and not worsts. Entertainment choices on Carnival before 9:30 are slim and none. Breakfast buffets are horrible and ships can have a crowded feel to them. But it is a great value, despite how many people like to put the line down.

What I want to know is that CC can't have more than 5 or 6 editors max so when did they actually cruise all of these lines to form these opinions.;)

And though the food is very good, picking a cruise line as having the best main restaurant that features waiters standing on ledges singing and dancing pretty much says it all!

I forgot about the dancing waiters........:p

Overall Best Cruising Option- Princess Cruises

I totally agree with you (of course.) I think Princess does a lot of things well, without any stand-out negatives. If you are looking for a cruiseline with very little schtick and with very little intrusive over-pampering, Princess is "just right." I can easily see how it is hard to Princess at the top of any one category (how hard was it to choose Disney for best family cabins??) but it really is the overall experience that Princess does well.

• 2 months later...
I totally agree with you (of course.) I think Princess does a lot of things well, without any stand-out negatives. If you are looking for a cruiseline with very little schtick and with very little intrusive over-pampering, Princess is "just right." I can easily see how it is hard to Princess at the top of any one category (how hard was it to choose Disney for best family cabins??) but it really is the overall experience that Princess does well.

Totally in agreement! Princess does many things very good (but perhaps not the "best") and few things very poorly. I have been very happy overall. Afraid to switch lines in fact...

I can't believe how they rated Carnival in food. I have heard so many people say that was what they didn't like. They should have had a rating for specialty dining. Chops is great and so is the Sterling!

When we were on Carnival the food was great. It was the noise and feel of the ship that I didn't like. But the food was great.

They do have a rating for specialty dining. It was won by Oceania.

Carnival did not win best food. They rated it best main restaurant. I think the main restaurants are very good. I liked it better than RCI's. Carnival falls short in the buffet area. However, Harry's on the Liberty is a very good specialty restaurant. Overall, Carnival does well in the food area. I like Carnival. It has its weakenesses and this poll was for bests and not worsts. Entertainment choices on Carnival before 9:30 are slim and none. Breakfast buffets are horrible and ships can have a crowded feel to them. But it is a great value, despite how many people like to put the line down.

I agree. I would go on Carnival again if it was the best overall choice with respect to price, itinerary and date. I also thought the dining room food on Carnival was quite good (a pleasant surprise).

Archived