Question about Dress Code

LRY229

This is our 1st time on NCL. Sorry, I know the dress code gets discussed alot, but I wasn't able to find the answer to this question.

Are shorts allowed in the buffet at night? We've heard that short & jeans are not allowed even in the buffet for dinner. Sorry, but being from Florida resort casual means nice shorts and a collared shirt to us. We don't mind dressing appropriately for the dining room, but were wondering about the buffet.

We're looking forward to trying NCL and I'm sure we'll enjoy our cruise on the Dawn

Jeans are allowed in the dining room. That's nice to know.
Jeans are not allowed in the dinning room but NCL will not turn you back. I just got off the Dawn and I thought people were way under dressed for dinner. Those that wore shorts I was embarrased for them the staff will frown and allow it because it's your vacation. Do your self a favor and wear something nice (ie: Slacks and polo shirt for men and a nice sundress for the ladies) 95% dress nice. Those that chose not to should have seen the looks they got from others. They didn't care it's too bad. Enjoy your cruise but dress nice

This is our 1st time on NCL. Sorry, I know the dress code gets discussed alot, but I wasn't able to find the answer to this question.

Are shorts allowed in the buffet at night? We've heard that short & jeans are not allowed even in the buffet for dinner. Sorry, but being from Florida resort casual means nice shorts and a collared shirt to us. We don't mind dressing appropriately for the dining room, but were wondering about the buffet.

We're looking forward to trying NCL and I'm sure we'll enjoy our cruise on the Dawn

yes, shorts are allowed in the buffet and jeans in the dining room, but no shorts except before 5:30pm

Nita

Jeans are not allowed in the dinning room but NCL will not turn you back. I just got off the Dawn and I thought people were way under dressed for dinner. Those that wore shorts I was embarrased for them the staff will frown and allow it because it's your vacation. Do your self a favor and wear something nice (ie: Slacks and polo shirt for men and a nice sundress for the ladies) 95% dress nice. Those that chose not to should have seen the looks they got from others. They didn't care it's too bad. Enjoy your cruise but dress nice

Jeans are allowed in some dining rooms. Here's what NCL states in their FAQ section about "dress."

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

We wouldnt' wear shorts in the dining room unless it was allowed - was mainly asking about the buffet for the shorts. We had just heard conflicting info about the jeans - guess we're still hearing it.

What about Speciality Restaurants? What is the dress code, i.e, Cagneys? Nice jeans acceptable?

Yes. While they "strongly discourage" jeans in one of the main dining rooms (Summer Palace on the Pearl), jeans are allowed in the others, to include specialty restaurants.

We did see them in Cagney's while dining there.

and what business is it of yours how the others were dressed? Did it hurt you? Why be embarassed for someone else. Better yet, why don't you stop dipping into other people's business and the way that they choose to live their lives??

Thanks everyone for all the info. I hated to post this question because I know some of the dress code threads get so heated. We will follow whatever the dress code is for that cruise line. I won't lie though, Carnival's new relaxed dress code sure made packing easier. I really never notice what anyone else has on at dinner - as long as they are clean and their clothes aren't rags.

I'm sure we're going to enjoy our cruise on the Dawn. I'm always up for trying new cruiselines.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I hated to post this question because I know some of the dress code threads get so heated. We will follow whatever the dress code is for that cruise line. I won't lie though, Carnival's new relaxed dress code sure made packing easier. I really never notice what anyone else has on at dinner - as long as they are clean and their clothes aren't rags.

I'm sure we're going to enjoy our cruise on the Dawn. I'm always up for trying new cruiselines.

I seriously doubt if packing for a Freestyle cruise will be more difficult than packing for a Carnival cruise. Don't they still have formal nights on Carnival?

I seriously doubt if packing for a Freestyle cruise will be more difficult than packing for a Carnival cruise. Don't they still have formal nights on Carnival?

They don't call them formal anymore - Cruise Elegant Night now. They aren't requiring a coat or tie. You can actually wear nice shorts & collared shirts or jeans in dining room at dinner EXCEPT on Cruise Elegant Night. Guess they are trying to help folks comply with all the airline regulations and extra charges.

Like I said, we'll pack whatever we needed. We've just never been on NCL and wasn't sure what the norm was. We're looking forward to trying a new cruise line.

Dag, the OP was just stating an opinion--that's what this is here for. No need to get all hostile about it.

I'm not sure if your post was aimed at me, but if it was, I assure you that no hostility was intended. That's the problem with words on a screen - there's no body language and no intonation.

To the OP, if you were somehow offended by my post, I apologize. I only wanted to reassure you that packing for an NCL Freestyle cruise should be a headache-free chore.

I'm not sure if your post was aimed at me, but if it was, I assure you that no hostility was intended. That's the problem with words on a screen - there's no body language and no intonation.

To the OP, if you were somehow offended by my post, I apologize. I only wanted to reassure you that packing for an NCL Freestyle cruise should be a headache-free chore.

No problem, I didn't take your post as being offensive at all. We are really looking forward to the freestyle. The one thing I hate about cruises is the "assigned" dining time.

But I do agree that you can't always tell someone's "tone" on the boards. Thanks for the help.

So, if I do not to pack pants, and opt wear dress shorts to dinner, then I will be turned away from the dining room and the specialy eateries? Thats not "frestyle cruisin'" to me.

I will wear shorts to dinner every nights and if I get looks, so be it. I will be too busy enjoying my dining experience and my cocktails to worry about what others think.

Its time people in general start worrying about what they are doing instead of what others are.

So, if I do not to pack pants, and opt wear dress shorts to dinner, then I will be turned away from the dining room and the specialy eateries? Thats not "frestyle cruisin'" to me.

I will wear shorts to dinner every nights and if I get looks, so be it. I will be too busy enjoying my dining experience and my cocktails to worry about what others think.

Its time people in general start worrying about what they are doing instead of what others are.

You can't wear shorts to dinner in the specialty restaurants. You can wear them in the buffet and the Blue Lagoon. Sorry, there are still a few standards.

Frankly, it is so cold on the ships I always wear slacks and a long sleeve top with a jacket over that. It really is cold with the air conditioning!:eek: Plus, the breeze off the water outside in the evenings is chilly as well.

Archived