Rome - November 2-6 - Leather Jacket?

Getting ready for our trip to Rome (and then 16 night transatlantic sailing back to Florida), and wanting to know if I should bring my waist length leather jacket with me. I love it and never get to wear it much since I live in South Florida, but don't want to drag it around if it's not what people wear in Rome at this time of year. (Before the past 9 years in Florida I lived in SF for 10 years, where everyone wears a leather jacket there year round.) If the leather jacket is too much, maybe I should bring this fleece inside nylon outside windbreaker type thing I just bought instead of the leather. Not as "fashionable" but easier to cart around. Thinking back I have to laugh. My roommate and I went to London a year ago March and thought everyone there during the rainy season will surely be wearing trench coats, so he already had one and I bought one used from someone on Ebay (a great deal!) and we both wore them there. We looked like the Blues Brothers go to England! I think I saw maybe two people in all of London wearing trench coats. What a joke. We looked like the Bobsey Twins! Anyway, back to Rome, leather or the windbreaker? I know on the Atlantic for 6 days I'm sure it's going to be cool. Opinions? Thanks.

Anyway, back to Rome, leather or the windbreaker? I know on the Atlantic for 6 days I'm sure it's going to be cool. Opinions? Thanks.

Leather, yes! Chic and warm. If it's like a blazery style, you could even wear it in the evenings onboard! Leather night, anyone?:D

So on my back it goes! I figured Italy being "chic" people would probably wear them there but didn't want to stand out being the only one, especially now that I see at night the temps in Rome are in the low 50s.

Brrr! Seriously, pick out a nice scarf to knot round your neck to keep the chill off at night. Something silk and nautical!

Getting ready for our trip to Rome (and then 16 night transatlantic sailing back to Florida), and wanting to know if I should bring my waist length leather jacket with me. I love it and never get to wear it much since I live in South Florida, but don't want to drag it around if it's not what people wear in Rome at this time of year. (Before the past 9 years in Florida I lived in SF for 10 years, where everyone wears a leather jacket there year round.) If the leather jacket is too much, maybe I should bring this fleece inside nylon outside windbreaker type thing I just bought instead of the leather. Not as "fashionable" but easier to cart around. Thinking back I have to laugh. My roommate and I went to London a year ago March and thought everyone there during the rainy season will surely be wearing trench coats, so he already had one and I bought one used from someone on Ebay (a great deal!) and we both wore them there. We looked like the Blues Brothers go to England! I think I saw maybe two people in all of London wearing trench coats. What a joke. We looked like the Bobsey Twins! Anyway, back to Rome, leather or the windbreaker? I know on the Atlantic for 6 days I'm sure it's going to be cool. Opinions? Thanks.

At this time of year, you could probably justify both.

I'm taking a warm winter coat for Italy land and a windbreaker for our TA cruise, as they are not really interchangeable, being dressy and casual.

I had to laugh at Blue Brothers goes to England. Upmarket Chelsea, London was where I discovered Op shops buying abovementioned dressy coat, to be appropriately dressed for my daughter, who lived there at the time.

So on my back it goes! I figured Italy being "chic" people would probably wear them there but didn't want to stand out being the only one, especially now that I see at night the temps in Rome are in the low 50s.

My friend in Rome just emailed me the following, with regard to the weather -

"The warm weather is fading fast. Today is overcast and cold. prepare for that.

It will only go downhill."

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I should be freezing in Rome at night if it's in the 50s! Being from NY originally with temps going from 90's to minus 20's with windchill, to SF where it's always 55 (which can feel like 70 or 20) and now So. Florida for the last 9 years, where when the temp gets below 70 everyone is freezing and turning on their heat! I do like to feel the cold though at times, but not sure I could live with it as a full-time thing again. Just a little over one week to go and can't wait.

thanks! we have been worrying about the coat situation, too, since we have 4 weeks to go and have very low cold tolerance, living in Orlando. I agree with one of the previous posters who said that 70 was freezing :rolleyes:

the challenge here is that stores are just now starting to get in some jackets, and I really don't want to spend a great deal on something we won't wear much back in FL....

Suefranss, what kind of slacks did you wear in Rome?

I was wondering if cords would be too ok.

I find stretch cords so comfortable but don't want to take them if they will be too warm.

I suppose it is too late for capris.

I only have two weeks to decide....

Yes, I thought about that with rain and my leather jacket, which I would hate to get soaked so what I have done in the past is go to the dollar store here and buy 2 for $1 thin (almost like saran wrap) ponchos with the hole cut out for the head and throw it in my pocket of my coat in case the rain is torrential. I plan on bringing a small folding umbrella with me but sometimes if the wind is blowing, the umbrella is useless. These cheap little "plastic" things are great and you can just throw them away once they've served their purpose. (I know, not environmentally correct! and just the height of fashion!) LOL! Thanks for all the input, guys and gals. Uh oh, I must be showing my age with that terminology!

Hi There!

We cruised on VOS in Nov of last year. Leather would be very chic and fit in well, however for our Rome day it was so cold. Most females and males I saw wore Wool PeaCoats with Scarves and an umbrella. I think leather or wool would be great, just bring an umbrella and you'll fit right in!!

I was in Rome 2 days ago, leaving there on Sunday Oct 26. Although I found Rome to be warm a lot of people were wearing jackets with a scarf fashionably tied around the neck and nice leather boots! The only place that I needed to wear a jacket was the top of Mt. Vesuvius, Mt. Etna and in Venice as it was really windy.

Well, after thinking it over, I decided the leather jacket is staying at home. As much as I would love to bring it, it does weight quite a bit and it is fairly new (rarely worn here in Florida, only when I go to NY or SF, where I used to live - both places at one time or another and still visit). Thinking about the rain made me decide, so I am bring a great thinly lined fleece jacket which is plasticized (rubberized?) on the outside. Just got it from Steinmart a few weeks ago (Dear God, they should keep me out of that store). I've got about 6 sport coats bought there (name brands, dirt cheap when on sale) and I very rarely have to get dressed anywhere in Florida, not even for work. SO, leather stays home in the closet and I'll break in the new coat. MUCH lighter and it repels rain and has a hood. Such HARD decisions to make. The country is ready to kill each other over Obama/McCain and I'm thinking jackets. I already voted absentee since I'll be out of town on voting day and the lines here for early voting have been horrendous. Will be curious to see what other countries think of what's going on here currently. Happy Sailing!

We saw LOTS of leather jackets in Italy. You will be just right. (We are just back from the Freedom's sailing that began Oct. 13.) The funny thing was, we were warm most of the time. We only wore our light jackets two or three times. It wasn't even cold on Mt. Etna! It surprised me that the Italians were in sweaters, sweatshirts and leather jackets while we were sweating from the crowded metros in Rome. Believe me, they are crowded! I didn't even wear long sleeves most days. Since you are going later, though, you will probably need a jacket, and leather would be perfect.

Nancy

Well, after thinking it over, I decided the leather jacket is staying at home. As much as I would love to bring it, it does weight quite a bit and it is fairly new (rarely worn here in Florida, only when I go to NY or SF, where I used to live - both places at one time or another and still visit). Thinking about the rain made me decide, so I am bring a great thinly lined fleece jacket which is plasticized (rubberized?) on the outside. Just got it from Steinmart a few weeks ago (Dear God, they should keep me out of that store). I've got about 6 sport coats bought there (name brands, dirt cheap when on sale) and I very rarely have to get dressed anywhere in Florida, not even for work. SO, leather stays home in the closet and I'll break in the new coat. MUCH lighter and it repels rain and has a hood. Such HARD decisions to make. The country is ready to kill each other over Obama/McCain and I'm thinking jackets. I already voted absentee since I'll be out of town on voting day and the lines here for early voting have been horrendous. Will be curious to see what other countries think of what's going on here currently. Happy Sailing!

I didn't read your second post until I answered the first. There is such a variety in Italy you won't feel funny in just about anything I would think. Have fun!

Nancy

• 1 month later...

Well, my cruise and crossing got back on Nov. 22 and I spent Nov. 2 through 6 in Rome. Decided by the time I packed the luggage, the leather jacket stayed home. Just too heavy to lug around when not wearing. Instead brought a fleece-lined windbreaker type of thing and actually that could have stayed at home in the closet as well. The weather was wonderful and warm in Rome and also the one day we took the high-speed train to Florence. At MOST, all I needed was the sweater I brought for night a couple of times but most of the time even that wasn't needed. Maybe we lucked out, but the weather was great. Only one day did we have a heavy rain downpour and that only lasted about an hour around 5:00 p.m. or so. You know, I get so worked up about going away I think I start to fantasize that everybody will CARE what I'm wearing. Dear God. You think after living in Manhattan for 20 years I'd know better. Anyway, wear what you want and be comfortable, and yes, especially shoes. That's for sure. I knew Rome had cobble stone streets, just not so many of them . . . or MOST of them. Love it though! Happy Sailing!

Archived