All Inclusive Tipping ??

We are sailing from Mumbai to Cape Town on Nov. 1st on the Navigator. This will be our first time with RSS. The brochure says tipping is not necessary as it is included in the fare...but, I wonder how the crew feels about this. Should we tip bartenders, room steward, etc. something extra? What is the common practice?

Cathe, Prescott, AZ

We are sailing from Mumbai to Cape Town on Nov. 1st on the Navigator. This will be our first time with RSS. The brochure says tipping is not necessary as it is included in the fare...but, I wonder how the crew feels about this. Should we tip bartenders, room steward, etc. something extra? What is the common practice?

Cathe, Prescott, AZ

If you've had unusually wonderful service...a note to the hotel director..mentioning the person by name & deed, plus a donation to the crew welfare fund is suffiicient. There are always those who do give tips, and let everyone know about it. (otherwise how would they look like big shots??) On occasion I have given a small gift (never cash) to our room steward, because of handling our dirty towels, etc/

A perfectly good example of when to tip is when our butler was off duty and we were both sick with the flu, he went on his own time to get us some medicine since we could not do this on our own. He went above the call of his duties and we did tip him and of course pay for our medicine.

As for ordinary services we did not tip.

Common practice is to follow Regent's guidelines by not tipping (except if something is done for you that is beyond the range of their job). There is a Crew Fund -- if you feel that you have had exemplary service, you can make a donation to the fund. Actually, the best thing you can do is acknowledge them on your comment card (by name if possible). Regent pays attention to those cards.

I would respectfully disagree with OrpingtonT. The best thing you can do is both of Travelcat's suggestions. Mention them by name on the comment card and give to the crew welfare fund. This fund does more than just R&R, it helps pay for emergency trips etc.

Travelcat2 has it right. Don't tip! That is the common practice. Donate to the crew fund if you feel it absolutely necessary. Comment on particular crew members on your comment card. Do not tip individuals, and certainly don't tip bartenders or room service deliverers when they serve you.

Have a great cruise--we hope to do the Rio to FLL leg of this trip next year, your segment sounds great! Hope you get through Mumbai airport without too much stress.

We were looking forward to the prospect of not having to tip...but then I had worries about that not being an acceptable practice.

Wendy...we are worried about getting through Mumbai Airport...especially since we will have 25 hrs. on our body clocks (from takeoff at PHX) when we arrive. We are flying Bs. Class so should not be toooo bad, but may still be a problem. The bad part is the "layovers" coming and going, Booked our air through RSSC, but the layovers are really bad. 6+hrs going, and 10+hrs coming home .

The ship will be a very pleasant sight in Mumbai.

Cathe

We were looking forward to the prospect of not having to tip...but then I had worries about that not being an acceptable practice.

Wendy...we are worried about getting through Mumbai Airport...especially since we will have 25 hrs. on our body clocks (from takeoff at PHX) when we arrive. We are flying Bs. Class so should not be toooo bad, but may still be a problem. The bad part is the "layovers" coming and going, Booked our air through RSSC, but the layovers are really bad. 6+hrs going, and 10+hrs coming home .

The ship will be a very pleasant sight in Mumbai.

Cathe

Having gone through Mumbai airport in April, two pieces of advice from our experience (with Crystal's air).

Almost as soon as you clear immigration you will be swarmed by "porters" trying rather aggressively to "help you find your bags". They will even take the luggage cart right out of your hands if you let them. They seemed to be harmless, but if you don't want the help, be firm in saying no as they do expect to be "tipped".

Assuming that you have Regent's transfers, it appeared to us that the cruiseline reps are not allowed in the baggage area, so be prepared for a veritable "sea of faces" as you exit the baggage area. You may have to look quite closely to find the sign with your name on it.:eek:

There are plenty of views on tipping in this forum, some contentious. but I believe that Travelcat2, above has it exactly right.

I would respectfully disagree with OrpingtonT. The best thing you can do is both of Travelcat's suggestions. Mention them by name on the comment card and give to the crew welfare fund. This fund does more than just R&R, it helps pay for emergency trips etc.

Odd!!

What is there to disagree with, respectfully or otherwise. I wholeheartedly endorsed Travelcat and it is exactly my practice as I have said on other threads.

A small question...can we use U.S. dollars in India for tipping, if necessary? Don't know how we can get our hands on local money prior to going thru immigration. (I've read that it is "against the law" to use U.S. dollars in South Africa.) :)

Cathe

Cathe - We've just returned from a couple of weeks in South Africa. We, like many others in our group, tipped in US dollars at the hotel (housekeeper), on tours (guides & drivers), and at the game lodges (rangers & drivers). It was quite clear that it was not against the law to use US dollars in S.A. In fact, the game lodges informed guests that either rands or dollars were perfectly acceptable for tipping. Cheers, Fred

Our hotel is right accross the street from Gateway, I'm told. Should be pretty convenient. We arrive Wednesday evening also, then only have the next full day there until we embark Friday morning.

We did find some rupees and SA rand here in our little "podunk" town. We will pick them up from the local bank on Turesday morning before heading for Phoenix Airport. That's funny about a dollar being too much to tip. The current exchange rate is 48 rupees/$1 !! How many rupees should we tip? I was thinking at least 200 or so...that's only $4.

Thanks, Fred. Good to know about using U.S. dollars in South Africa. I thought it strange to be Illegal...guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet !!

Hello...

I agree with Travelcat regarding mentioning worthy, exceptional employees on the comment cards and contributing to the general fund.

However, I also usually give an additional tip to our butler/room steward as I've never found one who didn't do a lot of extra little things. I will also (quietly and not to look like a "bigshot") tip others who've give exceptional service.

I feel quite blessed that we can afford to travel as much as we can and if I can add a little something to someone's life, I'll do it. Most of these kids (I call them that because to me everyone under 40 is now a kid) are usually far from home and can use any extra money they receive...

Just my two cents...

murphysmum;)

Folks,

I've had to prune this thread twice already. Please, please stay on topic - comments regarding tipping. If you have other topics you want to discuss, please start a new thread.

Thank you.

Host Dan

Thanks Host Dan;)

Murphysmum -- I really don't want to disagree with you:o However, it takes the entire crew to give a passenger exceptional service -- from the Captain who gives you the smoothest and safest cruise possible to those cleaning the decks, sides of the ship, etc. to keep the ship perfectly clean. It is the butler's job to do special things for the guests he is providing service for. Fortunately, all Regent crew members are paid a significantly better wage than on ships where tips are not included. By giving to the crew fund, you are not only helping the "kids" that personally served you, but, the many that you never see.

In many ways, tipping creates more problems amongst the crew as well as creating an atmosphere on Regent where guests feel that a member of the crew is waiting or expecting a tip (this has apparently happened recently).

While this is just my opinion, it is an opinion shared by many repeat Regent customers.

Sir Cruisealot,

You are likely at the Taj across the street from the Gateway. When I visit Mumbai I try and have the Falooda at the Taj. Its a rose flavoured sweet drink with icecream on the top. ( I am originally from Mumbai)

Rs 200 is too much for a porter. They would be very pleased to get 50 rs or a 100 if you want to be really generous. Lots of nice shopping on Colaba Causeway which is very close to the Taj and the Cottage Industries Store is just around the corner. Not far away is the museum as well. There are other wonderful and interesting things to see in Mumbai but you will need to take a taxi there or rent a car and driver. These include the Dhobi Ghat at Mahalaxmi and Haji Ali mosque in the ocean both located close to each other but at least 45 minutes or so from the Taj. I myself rent a car and driver when I visit.

If you are tired and just a need a break and some fresh ( though polluted) air then take a walk in the Taj area.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.... have a great trip.

Miriam

Sir Cruisealot,

You are likely at the Taj across the street from the Gateway. When I visit Mumbai I try and have the Falooda at the Taj. Its a rose flavoured sweet drink with icecream on the top. ( I am originally from Mumbai)

Rs 200 is too much for a porter. They would be very pleased to get 50 rs or a 100 if you want to be really generous. Lots of nice shopping on Colaba Causeway which is very close to the Taj and the Cottage Industries Store is just around the corner. Not far away is the museum as well. There are other wonderful and interesting things to see in Mumbai but you will need to take a taxi there or rent a car and driver. These include the Dhobi Ghat at Mahalaxmi and Haji Ali mosque in the ocean both located close to each other but at least 45 minutes or so from the Taj. I myself rent a car and driver when I visit.

If you are tired and just a need a break and some fresh ( though polluted) air then take a walk in the Taj area.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.... have a great trip.

Miriam

You know, you can chat about your trip as much as you want on "Roll Call".:confused: Please keep this thread on subject. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished our trip on the Mariner (HK - Singapore) and we were thinking the employees must be compensated more than on other cruise lines where tipping is standard or these employees would not work for Regent. Many of these employees are making big sacrifices to be at sea for much of the year and they do it because they need the money. If their "total pay" was less on Regent then they would switch to other cruise lines where they could make more money.

We don't have any verfication of this, but it seems logical. Maybe someone else has more specific info.

We did give our room Steward $50 at the end of our cruise and we did write his name on the review. He was exceptional.

But we did not tip room service or anyone else onboard.

All employees were GREAT!

We did give our room Steward $50 at the end of our cruise and we did write his name on the review. He was exceptional.

The point many of us are making is that tipping anyone is going against Regent policy and has lasting effects (setting expectations, etc.) Of course your Steward was exceptional. . . they all are.

Glad that you enjoyed your cruise. Sorry that you didn't follow the advice of so many Regent passengers on this board:o

The point many of us are making is that tipping anyone is going against Regent policy and has lasting effects (setting expectations, etc.) Of course your Steward was exceptional. . . they all are.

i really don't buy that it changes the expectations or has lasting effects or impacts others' experiences in the least bit. if you have any sort of evidence of this i'd love to hear it!

Archived