Rccl Removes Fuel Supplement!

Broch

No problem! Yes it is definitely refreshing. :D

Of course the "proof of the pudding" and all, but RCI's procedure does seem a bit easier to understand than Carnival's formula which requires that the price of a barrel of oil be under $70 for twenty five consecutive business days prior to the date of sailing. Much simpler to see what the price of oil is on December 18th, March 18th etc. and have that determine whether or not the fuel surcharge will be in effect for the following quarter.

I am still doubtful that oil prices will stabilize at their current level or decline even further, but obviously the fuel surcharge is a hot issue for some and this may defuse the controversy for a while at least.:)

Thanks OP for posting the news!

I just read it on a cruise news site and thought worthy of posting but you already did.

For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, we will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less, at the closing time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that begin during the upcoming calendar quarter.

The dates on which the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel will be measured, and the quarters during which refunds could apply are:

Fuel Price Determination Date ....... Quarter of Possible Fuel Supplement Refunds

December 18, 2008 ............ First quarter 2009

March 18, 2009 ............. Second quarter 2009

June 17, 2009 .................... Third quarter 2009

September 17, 2009 ............ Fourth quarter 2009

December 18, 2009 ............First quarter 2010

March 18, 2010 ................ Second quarter 2010

June 17, 2010 ................... Third quarter 2010

September 17, 2010............ Fourth quarter 2010

We will continue to closely monitor the movement of global fuel prices and recognize that an upturn in those prices could necessitate the reinstatement of a fuel supplement.

OMG, this is great news. Do you have a link to this announcement?

Thanks!!

Right off the royal caribbean web under loyal to royal area on the top right of the web page

sitehttp://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do;jsessionid=0000TdckMNH8M4FD1XxFrY0Hafa:12hdhu93n?pagename=fuel_supplement

There is some unfairness to RCCL removing fuel surcharges for new bookings made after 11/10/08 but not addressing the fuel surcharges for passengers about to sail with them for the rest of 2008.

They have dropped a port, added a sea day, cut time in one port by an hour all in the name of saving fuel. This is my 2nd cruise with them this year. My final payment has been made. They have my money and know I will not be canceling. However, RCCL chooses to reward passengers who MAY follow through and sail with them next year and have only made a deposit with them.

Somehow this doesn't seem equilable. Why not remove the surcharges for the rest of this year's sailings? Since I made my bookings in January (for 2 different sailings), the cost of fuel has decreased and is currently at the lowest level it has been and it is still expected to drop further. Address the passengers who have paid in full.

MARAPRINCE

From what I am reading; I will still be paying for the fuel surcharge on my Jan.'09 cruise (even though I have not paid in full yet) and hope to get it back as an onboard credit. If this is true, I will cancel and rebook future sailing after 11/10. Am I reading these correct?? Glad to see it is gone for now though!

From what I am reading; I will still be paying for the fuel surcharge on my Jan.'09 cruise (even though I have not paid in full yet) and hope to get it back as an onboard credit. If this is true, I will cancel and rebook future sailing after 11/10. Am I reading these correct?? Glad to see it is gone for now though!

I think there is a misunderstanding? If you book after 11/10, that only affects any cruises in 2010 (not in 2009). If you cruise is in Jan 09, then the Texas price on 12/18/08 has to be below $65 for them to remove your fuel surcharge. Cancelling and rebooking wouldnt affect a cruise in Jan of 09

I think there is a misunderstanding? If you book after 11/10, that only affects any cruises in 2010 (not in 2009). If you cruise is in Jan 09, then the Texas price on 12/18/08 has to be below $65 for them to remove your fuel surcharge. Cancelling and rebooking wouldnt affect a cruise in Jan of 09

thanks - then they will relook at the fuel price for the Jan. '09 sailing on 12/18? this is a bit confusing!

Archived