question on taxes and port charges

jon46

im planing on a trip for my family. Is there any way i can figure the cost of the cruise with the taxes and port charges figured in. Im on a tight budget so I need the total cost not a few hundred dollars less then added on later. as most sites just give the cruise not including port charges or taxes. thanks

im planing on a trip for my family. Is there any way i can figure the cost of the cruise with the taxes and port charges figured in. Im on a tight budget so I need the total cost not a few hundred dollars less then added on later. as most sites just give the cruise not including port charges or taxes. thanks

I'll give you the answer through RCI, which is where our experience has been exclusively. If you go to their web site and scroll through the (many) different itineraries, you will see a click box for "vew more details", which will show you different rates and categories for different dates on a given itinerary. Hit "begin reservation" and it will ultimately take you to different stateroom selection options, which will take you to specific stateroom choices, which will then show you a total cost with all charges included. You do not have to book or commit to anything doing this, but this will show you the total present charges for any given stateroom on any given itinerary. And you search and evaluate every itinerary offered this way. The web site is very comprehensive regarding ships, itineraries, staterooms, and costs. You can also us a TA to get the same info, but it is not as much fun or quick in terms of real time responses. I'm sure this is similar for all lines.

Most of the sites if you "pretend book" will come up with a total price. Make sure you don't forget to include the service fee for tips which will be added to your tab when you're on board! Have a good one!!

I've never been quoted separate prices--when I call, they say it'll be $_____....and that's the price! (Tip's are not included in the price! Figure about $70 per person for a week cruise for the tipped crew. Don't forget misc. tips--porters, taxis, room service....)

ALL cruiselines, no exceptions include port charges in the cruise price listed on their website. There was a class action lawsuit that claimed deceptive to not include it, so now they are required to include it in the price.

Taxes and fees are added on. I think you might be assuming the fees were port charges??

Be sure and read the article here on Cruise Critic - "The hidden cost of cruising" - Our "extra" fees and charges were $300 on our upcoming 14 day cruise (not counting the $12 per person per day service fee). Off-ship excursions are another $1,000 total for the two of us. Then there's the charges for soda and alcohol - it all depends on how much you will drink. Do you gamble? How much will you take to donate that way? Also, the cost of air fare to and from the port. We always stay a night before the cruise in a hotel so we don't arrive tired or LATE.

All-in-all I think for us it's a pretty safe bet to take the basic cost of the cruise and double it for the total cost of the trip.

Archived