Casual Dining Question

Mysticks1

I have my first cruise booked with Celebrity on Solstice. After reading other threads I saw comments specifically concerning the casual dining options on formal nights and have a few questions. Can someone clarify the following for me? We are considering forgoing formal nights due to luggage restrictions and I want to fully understand our options.

• In the evenings are reservations of some sort required to eat in the "buffet" area and is this indeed a buffet in the evening?
  • Is there a $2 tip required or suggested? On other cruises I have been on the tips were pooled and the dining room staff also worked the buffet area so no additional tip was necessary.
  • Are the dinner items usually available through room service?
  • On formal nights is the suggested dress code also formal in the optional restaurants like Murano, Tuscan Grille, etc. ?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

I'm not sure about Solstice, but on the Summit there was no real evening buffet. There was a casual dining restaurant where the buffet was located, but it was a sit-down dinner with service for beverages (a limited menu--I had spaghetti as I recall). There is a pasta bar with a couple of options for pasta and a couple of options for salads and pizza available, but not a full buffet. I was surprised no real full buffet. Room service was limited (in regular cabins; suites may be different)--sandwiches and salads as I recall (maybe burgers as well). Despite the limited options, I spent the whole 7-day cruise eating in the dining room only once and was fully satisfied.

I have my first cruise booked with Celebrity on Solstice. After reading other threads I saw comments specifically concerning the casual dining options on formal nights and have a few questions. Can someone clarify the following for me? We are considering forgoing formal nights due to luggage restrictions and I want to fully understand our options.

• In the evenings are reservations of some sort required to eat in the "buffet" area and is this indeed a buffet in the evening?
  • Is there a $2 tip required or suggested? On other cruises I have been on the tips were pooled and the dining room staff also worked the buffet area so no additional tip was necessary.
  • Are the dinner items usually available through room service?
  • On formal nights is the suggested dress code also formal in the optional restaurants like Murano, Tuscan Grille, etc. ?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

1. Reservations are required but you can at times get by without a reservation. It is not a buffet but a sit down dinner that is not the same as the main dining room. There is also sushi, grill, pizza, etc.

2. The $2 is required

3. Dining room items are available during regular dining room hours in your stateroom.

4. On formal nights the suggested dress code is the same for all the alternate restaurants except the casual dining mentioned above.

1. Reservations are required but you can at times get by without a reservation. It is not a buffet but a sit down dinner that is not the same as the main dining room. There is also sushi, grill, pizza, etc.

2. The $2 is required

3. Dining room items are available during regular dining room hours in your stateroom.

4. On formal nights the suggested dress code is the same for all the alternate restaurants except the casual dining mentioned above[/b].

I also have never been on a cruise and some of thr things you say have me a bit confused.

1. You have to make reservations for casual dining? I thought those places were there for just that, casual dining at any time?

2. I am confused about this tipping thing now. Are you saying that when you eat in any other place on the ship that you need to leave a $2 tip?

3. Nice to know

4. I didn't get that impression at all. I was under the impression that only the main dining room had the formal attire requirements on those occasions. I thought that the "specialty" restaurants were casual.

I also have never been on a cruise and some of thr things you say have me a bit confused.

1. You have to make reservations for casual dining? I thought those places were there for just that, casual dining at any time?

2. I am confused about this tipping thing now. Are you saying that when you eat in any other place on the ship that you need to leave a $2 tip?

3. Nice to know

4. I didn't get that impression at all. I was under the impression that only the main dining room had the formal attire requirements on those occasions. I thought that the "specialty" restaurants were casual.

1.Yes, you do have to make reservations.

2. It is a tip but it is required.

4. Quote from Celebrity dress code..

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000kkmhuOVT5TCrtOp53LQCONl:12hdebebp?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&pagename=faq_answers

3. Nice to know

Hi Pete:) when you eat in the "Alternative Casual Dining" area

they request a 2.00 per person tip.

It is casual and they do request you make reservations but

if there are open spots available you can eat there without....

You are served on linen by wait staff.

As to the other places, there is pizza/pasta and sushi as well.

No tipping at these areas.

Solstice will also have a new casual option, Bistro on Five. "Lighter" menu but appears an interesting alternative. We have often enjoyed dinner on our balcony…a few hints. Check out the main dining room dinner menu when posted after lunch and note your choices (saves having staff read long list/last minute decisions). Call room service early before phone lines busy. It will not delivered until early seating main course is being served anyway. Have bottle of wine so an hour one way or other around delivery time doesn't matter. :) Sample menus for Bistro, etc were at Solstice preview and kindly posted by the Preismans: http://www.thepreismans.com/

Just to clarify the practice on the current ships (Summit, Constellation, Galaxy, etc):

At night the main buffet areas are closed. In the area of the ship where the buffet is located during the daytime there are a few options:

1. A casual sit down dining area where you order from a limited menu for table service by waiters. This is set up in one corner of the seating area in what is the buffet earlier in the day. Reservations are requested, but often not necessary. There is a $2 charge, which is a minimum additional gratuity for the staff which provide table service - I know there is a lot of debate and confusion as to whether this should be covered by the "normal" daily tips - but it is just $2/pp.

2. There are a couple of buffet stations which remain open throughout the day and until late evening which are self serve and no additional charge, this includes pizza, pasta and the salad station located near one of these areas.

3. In the evening only they have another ethnic food option which is set up self serve buffet style for which there is no additional charge starting around 5PM (varies by ship and itinerary). In the past this has just been a sushi area to which they sometimes add a stir-fry station. On our last cruise (Connie in Sept 08) they had three variations which alternated each night (instead of sushi every night): 1-Sushi; 2-Asian Stir Fry and 3-Indian style Curry.

Of course all this was in addition to room service options, including items from the dining room menu.

I haven't studied Solstice options so I can't comment on the plans there nor if they will be the same as what Celebrity has had on their other ships - but this is what they have had.

Solstice will also have a new casual option, Bistro on Five. "Lighter" menu but appears an interesting alternative. We have often enjoyed dinner on our balcony…a few hints. Check out the main dining room dinner menu when posted after lunch and note your choices (saves having staff read long list/last minute decisions). Call room service early before phone lines busy. It will not delivered until early seating main course is being served anyway. Have bottle of wine so an hour one way or other around delivery time doesn't matter. :) Sample menus for Bistro, etc were at Solstice preview and kindly posted by the Preismans: http://www.thepreismans.com/

Thanks for the reminder about the Bistro On Five. It sounds like a great casual alternative restaurant. Plus, it is open 24hrs a day.:D

Thank you to everyone who has taken time to answer my questions. :) Our cruise will be somewhat port intensive with us spending much of the port days ashore. I expect to sometimes be exhausted at the end of the day and am now looking forward to being able to order some of the dinner menu for room service and dining on the balcony.

I have always tipped a couple of dollars (more if a larger order) to whoever brings room service, is this comparable to what is customary on Celebrity?

OK, some more dumb question. I am not against nor am I criticizing all the tipping that seems to be required but, how do I tip? Do I tip at the time I get whatever at where ever I am? Is it added to a tab somewhere or do I have to have a bunch of Euros (I am going on a Mediterranean cruise)? Do I tip one or two Euros? How is this done at the end of a 10 night cruise? Do I get some sort of envelope and have to stuff it with Euros and write everyone's' name on the envelope?

I have always tipped a couple of dollars (more if a larger order) to whoever brings room service, is this comparable to what is customary on Celebrity?

Yes it is customary, however, your room service is usually delivered by your stateroom cabin attendant. If this is the case we don't tip at the time of service, but rather consider it in determining how much extra we tip him over and beyond the recommended amounts at the end of the cruise. We do keep a little cash handy just in case the room service is delivered by someone else which occasionally happens, in which case we give them a tip on the spot.

Regarding the $2 tip in the casualty dining area, this is pp, correct? Also, is it put on your on-board account (i.e., you sign for it after dinner) or do you tip in cash at the end of dinner?
This is in person, and you can have this added to your on-board account (you might have to do this). It will be at the end of the dinner on a charge which includes space for an additional gratuity if you so choose.

OK, some more dumb question. I am not against nor am I criticizing all the tipping that seems to be required but, how do I tip? Do I tip at the time I get whatever at where ever I am? Is it added to a tab somewhere or do I have to have a bunch of Euros (I am going on a Mediterranean cruise)? Do I tip one or two Euros? How is this done at the end of a 10 night cruise? Do I get some sort of envelope and have to stuff it with Euros and write everyone's' name on the envelope?

See above questions which should answer some of your question. On Celebrity all tipping and charges are done in US dollars.

Your normal staff, dining room waiters and cabin attendants, have recommended minimum amounts to top printed in the Celebrity information guides - including their web site. You can tip them in cash at the end of the cruise (envelopes are provided) or you can have your tips charged to your on-board account using a form that you'll receive in the middle of the cruise.

The only time we tip in cash is if room service is delivered by someone other than our normal cabin attendant. We also tip in cash at the end of the cruise to those people we haven't charged tips for and those we want to give a little extra to - either over and beyond the charged tips or to someone not otherwise tipped. For example we've tipped lounge singers on some cruises if we've really enjoyed them on a regular basis throughout the cruise. Charges for drinks and wine have 15% added automatically to the bill but there is also a space on the charge slip for an additional tip should you choose to add more for exceptional service. We've also given a bartender an additional cash tip at the end of the cruise if we've become a regular and they've given us great service throughout the cruise.

Hope that helps.

The waiters that serve in the casual dining alternative are not the dining room waiters. The casual dining area is the training ground for waiters. You should get good service - if they do good there, they may receive a promotion to the dining room.

Hi Pete:) when you eat in the "Alternative Casual Dining" area

they request a 2.00 per person tip.

It is casual and they do request you make reservations but

if there are open spots available you can eat there without....

You are served on linen by wait staff.

As to the other places, there is pizza/pasta and sushi as well.

No tipping at these areas.

I understood that the Alternate Casual dining was manned by chefs/waiters in training. It is a different menu to the dinign room, but no less fine- I had escargot and a pasta dish. We showed up without a reservation (as we only decided to do that after the 5pm deadline for reservations ) and were welcomed. However, when we went to pay our $2 tip to the maitre d, he asked how it was, I mentioned that the main course was rather slow in arriving, but that was probbaly because it looked like many ( like us) had arrived without a reservation and one poor waiter was trying to "do it all". He refused to take our $2!!!

Pete:

Let me take at stab at it to clarify for you. First, the currency on board is the dollar not the Euro.

Tipping for waiters, stewards, etc is done at the end of the cruise. You have the option of doing it in cash or putting it on your shipboard account. You will get a form which will allow it to be put on your account but this is voluntary on Celebrity.

When you purchase a drink, a 15% gratuity will automatically be put on your bill. You may tip more of course but this is mandatory. ;

If you have room service what many experienced cruisers do is tip if it is not delivered by your regular room steward. If delivered by your Steward, adjust tip at end of week if you do this alot.

Archived