misty fjord flightseeing with sea wind aviation in ketchikan

jmezmom

Actually, I find it disgusting that no one here has responded-although there are 45 'views' of this post. We flew with Seawind last year and had a pretty nice time. If you are not adverse to flying in smaller planes-you'll probably enjoy. Misty fjords is pretty, but I don't think it's worth the money to fly it (in retrospect). We had one person onboard who become extremely motion sick while flying. Steve told us that someone got motion sick pretty much every flight.

I think the reason no one has responded to your question is because Steve had a fatal crash last August and six people died in that crash. The crash seems to be weather related, although the NTSB investigation is still not complete. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=ANC07MA083&rpt=fa The report only states five deaths, but a three year old girl died weeks later bringing the death toll to six. Apparently, no one here at CC wants to face the truth. They choose to kick things under the rug. I am in no way critical of Seawind or Steve Kamm-I would, in fact, fly with him again-just not in Alaska.

Our son is an airline pilot and my husband has his private and is working on his instrument. We bought our own plane last year and we go up every weekend if the weather is good. We do understand that Alaska has weather issues and there is not a very good system up there for doing weather checks. We didn't know this before. Now, knowing the conditions in Alaska, we would probably never take another flight in a small plane up there again. Just thought you should know the facts.

Actually, I find it disgusting that no one here has responded-although there are 45 'views' of this post. We flew with Seawind last year and had a pretty nice time. If you are not adverse to flying in smaller planes-you'll probably enjoy. Misty fjords is pretty, but I don't think it's worth the money to fly it (in retrospect). We had one person onboard who become extremely motion sick while flying. Steve told us that someone got motion sick pretty much every flight.

I think the reason no one has responded to your question is because Steve had a fatal crash last August and six people died in that crash. The crash seems to be weather related, although the NTSB investigation is still not complete. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=ANC07MA083&rpt=fa The report only states five deaths, but a three year old girl died weeks later bringing the death toll to six. Apparently, no one here at CC wants to face the truth. They choose to kick things under the rug. I am in no way critical of Seawind or Steve Kamm-I would, in fact, fly with him again-just not in Alaska.

Our son is an airline pilot and my husband has his private and is working on his instrument. We bought our own plane last year and we go up every weekend if the weather is good. We do understand that Alaska has weather issues and there is not a very good system up there for doing weather checks. We didn't know this before. Now, knowing the conditions in Alaska, we would probably never take another flight in a small plane up there again. Just thought you should know the facts.

wow....real eye opener. We read your post twice to take it all in and the report. I would have no problem flying with this comony but the lines about you being pilots and knowing about alaska conditions and would not do it again makes us take a second to think about it.

My husband says when your time is up its up but I want to enjoy the trip..............not be fearful.

Thanks for the post.

wow....real eye opener. We read your post twice to take it all in and the report. I would have no problem flying with this comony but the lines about you being pilots and knowing about alaska conditions and would not do it again makes us take a second to think about it.

My husband says when your time is up its up but I want to enjoy the trip..............not be fearful.

Thanks for the post.

To be fair, I should also state that another flightseeing company in Alaska had a fatal incident about a month before Seawind's accident. They crashed in Misty Fjords. Five people died. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=ANC07FA068&rpt=fi You can read the report, but the accident was attributed to the pilot making the decision to fly in less than ideal weather conditions. The FAA has long been trying to implement programs to make aviation safer in the more remote areas of the U.S.

We're a family of aviators (my Dad is a retired U.S. Air Force Colonel who flew in Vietnam). It's pretty bad when even our own dare devil son who had an engine out landing on a highway median at the tender age of 21 refuses to fly in Alaska anymore. BTW, we are booked on our third consecutive Alaskan cruise. We love Alaska, but won't be doing any flying up there anytime soon.

Actually, I find it disgusting that no one here has responded-although there are 45 'views' of this post.

That's a bit harsh. The people "viewing" this post might not be aware of the incidents in 2007. The turn-over on this forum is high...people become involved when they are planning their trip to Alaska...then most move on to other things.

No doubt flying in Alaska is a risk. We became aware of the crashes in 2007 when we were booking our flight in 2008. We researched bush planes in Alaska and decided we still wanted to fly in one. The day we flew I had no doubt that the tragedy of the year before was in the forefront of everyone's mind. We flew with Michelle of Island Wings...she was in close radio contact with other pilots for the entire two days we were with her.

In short...I would trust my life anytime to these people...I was that impressed. Believe me...I'm not the bravest of souls...nor am I a great adventurer. Alaska broadened our horizons...aside from the random charging bear...it was probably a lot safer up there than down here in our fast-moving urban environment.

But..in the end....it's a personnel decision for everyone.

I seriously doubt the validity of this post. She made the same claims last year and they are just as erroneous now as they were then.

I seriously doubt the validity of this post. She made the same claims last year and they are just as erroneous now as they were then.

Do you mean just that quote is eroneous or the crash report is made up too?

The crash part is very real. Accidents happen. Just like they happen everyday on the I-5 running from California to Washington State. I suspect more people lose their lives in traffic accidents every week on that stretch of interstate highway than in all the aviation accidents in Alaska over the past 10 years.

The part of her story I doubt is that her son is an airline pilot, her husband has a private pilots license or that they own their own plane. Her comments tend to cast a shadow on her credibility.

If you want to get the real information on these two very unfortunate and isolated accidents I suggest you look through the FAA or NTSB reports for yourself.

Flying on a floatplane is a part of life here in southeast Alaska. I've probably logged 2000 hours as a passanger. Flown in all kinds of weather. Every pilot that I've flown with wanted to come back home alive. Take the trip and enjoy the view.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20080806X01171&key=1

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20070823X01233&ntsbno=ANC07MA083&akey=1

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20070801X01084&ntsbno=ANC07FA068&akey=1

That's a bit harsh. The people "viewing" this post might not be aware of the incidents in 2007. The turn-over on this forum is high...people become involved when they are planning their trip to Alaska...then most move on to other things.

No doubt flying in Alaska is a risk. We became aware of the crashes in 2007 when we were booking our flight in 2008. We researched bush planes in Alaska and decided we still wanted to fly in one. The day we flew I had no doubt that the tragedy of the year before was in the forefront of everyone's mind. We flew with Michelle of Island Wings...she was in close radio contact with other pilots for the entire two days we were with her.

In short...I would trust my life anytime to these people...I was that impressed. Believe me...I'm not the bravest of souls...nor am I a great adventurer. Alaska broadened our horizons...aside from the random charging bear...it was probably a lot safer up there than down here in our fast-moving urban environment.

But..in the end....it's a personnel decision for everyone.

You're right. A lot of people don't return to this forum after their trips. I didn't properly state what I was thinking.

Why would I come on here and lie? My son is an F/O with Horizon. He graduated from Louisiana Tech University with a B.S. in Professional Aviation last year. He has been flying since high school. My husband took up an interest while our son was in college. You have no reason to call me a liar except that maybe you're just a jealous person who never succeeded with having a flying career. Plus, it peeves you that you don't have the money to buy your own aircraft :p I fail to understand why you would want to call me a liar-for no good reason. Explain to me-how my 'claim', as you call it, is erroneous? Never mind-don't. I don't care.

I'm also wondering if you're the one who posted on here last year claiming that Steve let you fly as 'copilot' because he knew you flew. I was on that plane and it's funny how the right seat had no instruments, yoke, throttle, rudders or anything that a 'copilot' would need to fly the plane.

First, let me say that I've been considered a "scardy cat" all my life - you know the type - afraid of your own shadow. Well, I decided that I've made it 61 years on this earth and maybe I should reconsider while I still have a chance to do something - and I went flying with Michelle and Island Wings this past August. Well, guess what, I felt more secure flying with her than I do driving my own car on I-10 here in Houston!! Now, I'm not sure about flying with anyone else but Michelle, but I'd go with her again in a heart beat. Also, I sat in the back seat and it was great because you could take pictures out of the left and right windows.

Following all the threads below I wonder if you had thought of cruising to Misty Fjords rather than flying? There is a trip that runs by vessel both ways in about 4.25 hours including a stop at New Eddystone Rock which is fantastic from sea level view. The vessel is jet-driven which allows it to get really close to Fjord walls--when I took trip we felt waterfall spray. I understand that sometimes waterfalls are not in full run if it has been dry.

Also on our trip we had a native artist onboard doing beading work which was neat to see. She was very gracious about answering our questions; although main narrator was vessel naturalist. Snacks included veggie chili or clam chowder as well as drinks and some kind of pastry. I thought ride very comfortable and safe. Our trip was exclusive to cruiseship passengers.

Misty Fjords flightseeing was the first excursion I booked for our 2007 Alaska cruise. We went with Island Wings, and Michelle was a great pilot. However, we were the first passengers to fly on a very overcast day, and we had to turn back from Misty Fjords because the cloud ceiling was too low. Needless to say - it was pretty disappointing as well as expensive. For that reason, I'm in no hurry to try another flight there - especially not first thing in the morning. If I return to Ketchikan, I'd be interested in the boat to Misty Fjords.

we flew with Seawind in Sept it was great. There were 4 of us as passengers plus the pilot. We had originally wanted to do the Bear watch, but Lesley told us the Bears were not around, so suggested the Misty Fjords instead, We loved it, it was our first trip on a float plane, but not our first in a small plane. None of us got sick. He landed on a lake & let people walk on the floats if they wanted to. I declined :) Water loooked too deep & cold. He seemed to have some modern colored radar thing on the "dash board" Next time I'd probably take the boat trip, but only because we have already done the flight. I'd fly with them agian if we could see bears :) Good luck on whatever you decide :)

Following all the threads below I wonder if you had thought of cruising to Misty Fjords rather than flying? There is a trip that runs by vessel both ways in about 4.25 hours including a stop at New Eddystone Rock which is fantastic from sea level view. The vessel is jet-driven which allows it to get really close to Fjord walls--when I took trip we felt waterfall spray. I understand that sometimes waterfalls are not in full run if it has been dry.

Also on our trip we had a native artist onboard doing beading work which was neat to see. She was very gracious about answering our questions; although main narrator was vessel naturalist. Snacks included veggie chili or clam chowder as well as drinks and some kind of pastry. I thought ride very comfortable and safe. Our trip was exclusive to cruiseship passengers.

Thanks for this info, I will look into it.

• 4 weeks later...
He seemed to have some modern colored radar thing on the "dash board"

This is a good point. What you saw is the Capstone System which is the most advanced VFR navigation tool available to commercial pilots. The system is being tested in Western Alaska and Southeastern Alaska and will eventually (I assume) be used nationwide. It allows the pilot to "see" exactly where he or she is relative to local terrain including both top-down and horizontal views. The terrain changes color based on it's distance from the aircraft and the direction of flight. Think of it as a very advanced GPS.

In my opinion, flying in Alaska is much safer than driving a car on a freeway. Sure, there have been accidents and the only reason they make the news is that they are so rare. If you are interested in learning the real facts of the Seawind accident, check the NSTB reports cited earlier. You will see that the apparent cause of the crash was totally weather related and was a case of being the in the wrong place at the wrong time in circumstances beyond the control of any pilot. A take-off five minutes earlier or five minutes later would have not had the same outcome. Unfortunately neither pilots, nor Capstone, can "see" windshear or downdrafts.

we flew with Seawind in Sept it was great. There were 4 of us as passengers plus the pilot. We had originally wanted to do the Bear watch, but Lesley told us the Bears were not around, so suggested the Misty Fjords instead, We loved it, it was our first trip on a float plane, but not our first in a small plane. None of us got sick. He landed on a lake & let people walk on the floats if they wanted to. I declined :) Water loooked too deep & cold. He seemed to have some modern colored radar thing on the "dash board" Next time I'd probably take the boat trip, but only because we have already done the flight. I'd fly with them agian if we could see bears :) Good luck on whatever you decide :)

Hi Excited to go cruising - How are the landings on the water in the float plane? How does it compare to a bad runway landing at the airport?

Hi Excited to go cruising - How are the landings on the water in the float plane? How does it compare to a bad runway landing at the airport?

Landings and take off- there isn't any "bumping", you are on water. :) No comparism.

Not sure what your "bad" reference is??? You also need to compare, SMALL planes, again there is no comparism to flying a floatplane with any commercial airline flight most people have experience with.

Great! Then I've won the bet with my DH. He said it would be too rough for my back. I've been through some pretty rough (bad) landings at airports where the pilot kind of bounced us down instead of landing the plane smoothly. I've been in small planes and helicopters and have had no problem with my back. I just wanted to go on a floatplane because I've never done it. So Misty Fjords by floatplane sounds like a plan.

I have never read so much childish hand wringing in my life! Alaska IS a dangerous state. This is the reason so many people want to visit and cruise in Alaska. If it was central Kansas do you think anybody would say it was someplace they "always wanted to see"?

Why worry about a little plane ride when you can worry about the ship sinking or rolling over or catching on fire? That has happened in Southeast Alaska with fair regularity. I have personally seen the pictures of at least one cruise liner with smoke pouring out of it. I won't even mention the groundings that have occurred around the same area. Good grief folks at least find something worth worrying about before you start whining!

As for the aviation accident rate in southeast Alaska and Alaska in general, most of the pilots (male and female) that have any longevity in the business have had an accident or incident or two that "you" are not aware of. You can't be in that business in that area for an extended period without running into some problems. Again, if you are a worrier, possibly you better reconsider leaving your bed.

Some of the pilots that you might ride with fly year-round not just in the good summer months when the flying is easy, so cut them a little slack. Sometimes stuff just happens. I also read that some of you are pilots or are related to pilots or are even daring enough to own your own airplane. It has been my experience that the genuinely experienced and talented ones usually won't venture a comment on another pilots accident because they are wise enough to know that someday some fool might be commenting on theirs.

I have been on several cruises to Alaska and really enjoy the "Misty" flight tours. I have ridden with many of the carriers and I have my favorites. Steve with SEAWIND is always my first choice as I flew with him when he was chief pilot for one of the big operators. Jeff with CARLIN AIR is my favorite standby. He is also a very talented and experienced pilot. My research shows these are the ones the locals ride with all year-round. I will be booking with either one of them on my next cruise.

• 4 months later...

Hi there - I am interested in learning more about seeing Misty Fjords this way. Can you let me know the name of the tour company? Thank you very much!

We booked the float plane tour with Seawind aviation. They were recommended, along with 2 other companies, by another float plane company that was full for our day. I researched all the companies, looked at how long they had been in business, saw the accidents and read the reports. I picked Seawind. And I feel safer in a small plane than I do on the highway I drive every morning to work!

The Seawind response time from initial contact was great even though it was off season. Lesley is super nice! I can't wait for August!

BTW, I'm guilty. I'm on the boards when I'm planning, then disappear until the next trip. While I'm on though I do respond questions on other forum where I have answers. I also try to post a review after the trip. I'll try to do better in the future...

Archived