Balcony in the "hull" on the Jewel

johnami

We have a BD balcony cabin on the Jewel and found out through these Threads, that it is in the "hull"! Has anyone cruised in this category and is the BC category also in the "hull"? Should we upgrade or is it nice? NCL reservations don't know what I am talking about.

Back on page 5 of this forum, last post dated Oct 28th there is a thread called Pearl Deck 8 balcony- Post #13 has a link to a picture of thiis type cabin which would be the same as it's sister ship the Jewel. If I were not so computer challenged I would try to post it here.

We had one of these balconies on the Jade when it was the Pride of Hawaii. I thought it was fine. It seemed a little more private since you are so enclosed. I'm not sure what specifically is concerning you, let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer. :)

We have a BD balcony cabin on the Jewel and found out through these Threads, that it is in the "hull"! Has anyone cruised in this category and is the BC category also in the "hull"? Should we upgrade or is it nice? NCL reservations don't know what I am talking about.

The definition of hull is:

the hollow, lowermost portion of a ship, floating partially submerged and supporting the remainder of the ship

I don't think that is where your balcony is........Or do you have a really cheap rate?

I think that you mean a balcony that looks more like this:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2161206050041251019XTfODi

This was rm 8530, a BD, on the Star.

Probably affords a bit more privacy as you can't just peak around the protruding wall to the next balcony and I would think that the walls deflect some of the breezes. I have not experienced the other style of balcony but I was pleased with this one and it was quite comfortable.

IWORK2CRUISE -LOL :D

What's the cabin number?

I think that you mean a balcony that looks more like this:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2161206050041251019XTfODi

This was rm 8530, a BD, on the Star.

Probably affords a bit more privacy as you can't just peak around the protruding wall to the next balcony and I would think that the walls deflect some of the breezes. I have not experienced the other style of balcony but I was pleased with this one and it was quite comfortable.

IWORK2CRUISE -LOL :D

I agree. We had a BD on the Gem last February from New York and the balcony was very comfortable even on the first and last sea days when we were getting to much cooler areas. There was definetely a decrease in wind and the privacy was great. I would not hesitate to book one of these again.

I rather these "hull" balconies were called "framed" balconies, like a frame you'll find around paintings or photos.

Being fairly low on the ship, they have to be framed for protection from rough seas or be just another oceanview cabin. Look at the Sky or Sun, in the general locations where these "framed" balconies are located on Star and Jewel class ships, you'll find oceanview cabins.

Once you are out on your balcony, your views are just as nice, unless you're a Peeping Tom.

Being fairly low on the ship, they have to be framed for protection from rough seas or be just another oceanview cabin.

I'd guess the fact that they're forward is another reason for the frame. Having some protection from the wind would be desirable, I'd say.

We went for a walk on the Promenade on Grand, Golden, and whatever the other is called (I forget). As we are walking we see a crowd of folks all laughing under their breath.

Here the promenade goes in front of a balcony & the folks are undressing with their drapes open. We noted 5 like that in a row & the same on the other side.

At least NCL has no promenade there........

We went for a walk on the Promenade on Grand, Golden, and whatever the other is called (I forget). As we are walking we see a crowd of folks all laughing under their breath.

Here the promenade goes in front of a balcony & the folks are undressing with their drapes open. We noted 5 like that in a row & the same on the other side.

At least NCL has no promenade there........

Would be mighty interesting to have a deck in front of a balcony cabin ....:cool:

I had one of those "hull" balconies on the Dawn last week. I loved it. The nice thing was that it was a little sheltered which blocked the wind and weather lelments so we were able to spend more time out there than a friend who had the other. It didn't make a difference as far as view or enjoyment. To be honest, I'd probably choose that type again, I just felt we got more use out of it.

Archived