Clocks in cabins?

Avril

I usually cruise with Carnival and the one thing that bugs me is that they don't have clocks in the cabins. :( :confused: I like to be able to see what time it is at various times of the day when I'm in my cabin. To solve this problem, I normally bring my own travel clock. I'm trying HAL for the 1st time this year during New Years. :D I was just wondering, does HAL have clocks in their cabins? We're in a category VF (Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Stateroom) onboard the Eurodam if that makes a difference. :D

The reason ships don't have clocks in the cabins is due to the irregularity of the electricity on the ship. If you plug an alarm clock into the wall in your cabin the time may run slow or fast. They tell you to bring a battery operated clock to keep the correct time. I used to work on Carnival and they tell all crewmembers to bring battery operated alarm clocks.

There would also be the issue of constantly changing time zones - there would have to be wiring that would adjust all 950 or so clocks automatically - sounds pricey to me. There are analog clocks in several places on the ship - wonder if the are adjusted manually?

There are large round clocks on the wall of Category "S" and "PS" Suites. I have heard them set the clock back/advance it in the middle of the night and it's funny to hear the hands whizz around. :) They are automatically reset all at once all around the ship.

We always bring a travel clock anyway as we want to have an alarm rather than a wake up call.

Actually although time zones are traversed the ship has one time called "ship's time" EVERYTHING about the ship operates on ship's time. In port it does not matter if it is 3 PM, if the ship's time is 6 PM then it IS 6 PM for you. If dinner is at 6 PM and you are on shore at 3 PM shore time, you just missed dinner!!! I hate it when that happens!!! ;-)

Thanks everyone!! :D That makes sense about why ships don't have clocks. I've always assumed that the reason is that you're supossed to be on vacation and not worrying about what time it is. I'll bring my own clock as usual. :D

There are large round clocks on the wall of Category "S" and "PS" Suites. I have heard them set the clock back/advance it in the middle of the night and it's funny to hear the hands whizz around. :) They are automatically reset all at once all around the ship.

We always bring a travel clock anyway as we want to have an alarm rather than a wake up call.

That's great to know but since I don't have a suite, it's not relevent to my question. I'm talking about in regular (or standard) balcony cabins.

Also, I agree with you about having an alarm rather than a wake up call. I don't really like either but I'd prefer the alarm.

If you don't have a battery clock, you can use the alarm on your cell phone. Just be sure to adjust the time when there is a change.

In my experience, the cell time is set by the network. The network time may or may not coincide with the ships time. It is difficult to tell when you know time zones have been traversed. It's much easier to use a battery powered travel alarm, or if you carry a PC, to use that. I ues the travel alarm.

I usually use the room service steward when he brings my morning coffee.:D I tip him a couple of bucks the first morning (just for my one service of coffee), let him know I'd like it brought the same time each morning, and make sure I put a couple of bucks out the night before so it's ready when he shows up. Works perfectly (at least on HAL). If I'm not ready to be "up" when he knocks, I still have him leave it on the table. Stays warm for at least a couple of hours (she said from personal experience, after a rather late night in the Ocean Bar :)).

Use the wake up service for naps, though I usually beat that call!

Actually although time zones are traversed the ship has one time called "ship's time" EVERYTHING about the ship operates on ship's time. In port it does not matter if it is 3 PM, if the ship's time is 6 PM then it IS 6 PM for you. If dinner is at 6 PM and you are on shore at 3 PM shore time, you just missed dinner!!! I hate it when that happens!!! ;-)

That's absolutely incorrect on HAL. Most every time zone that HAL goes through is a time change on the ship. The one exception is PV in Mexico.

There is a card left under your pillow chocolate reminding you to set your clocks/watches forward or back, as appropriate. It's also mentioned in the Daily Program, and at the end of the show.

Archived