Princess are you listening?

late seating

I frequently read threads asking if it is best to book a cruise through the cruise company or use a travel agent. The general consensus is use a TA because you can always save money.

I generally book our next cruise while on ship and after arriving home "dial for dollars". Meaning, we call a few TA's and provide all the information: date, cruise ship, catagory etc. and ask for a price quote. Each gives a different price and always cheaper than the cruise line.

MY POINT IS: If I do all the research, pick my cruise, date, ship etc. and give all the info when I call, why do the cruise lines not give me the same low price as they give the TA's? If we do all the work for our next cruise we should be financially rewarded. Cruise lines should be embarassed they do not give their loyal customers the best possible deal from the onset. At the risk of sounding redundant, all the cruise line has to do in either case is look up the price and send out the documents. The only difference is the address the docs are mailed to, all other info can be done on line.

Princess, if you read this please give it some consideration. In my opinion, Princess or any other cruise line has an opportunity to revolutionize the industry. If inacted travel agents would probably lose the business of some seasoned cruisers but then progress or change usually affects someone.

I frequently read threads asking if it is best to book a cruise through the cruise company or use a travel agent. The general consensus is use a TA because you can always save money.

I generally book our next cruise while on ship and after arriving home "dial for dollars". Meaning, we call a few TA's and provide all the information: date, cruise ship, catagory etc. and ask for a price quote. Each gives a different price and always cheaper than the cruise line.

MY POINT IS: If I do all the research, pick my cruise, date, ship etc. and give all the info when I call, why do the cruise lines not give me the same low price as they give the TA's? If we do all the work for our next cruise we should be financially rewarded. Cruise lines should be embarassed they do not give their loyal customers the best possible deal from the onset. At the risk of sounding redundant, all the cruise line has to do in either case is look up the price and send out the documents. The only difference is the address the docs are mailed to, all other info can be done on line.

Princess, if you read this please give it some consideration. In my opinion, Princess or any other cruise line has an opportunity to revolutionize the industry. If inacted travel agents would probably lose the business of some seasoned cruisers but then progress or change usually affects someone.

Not sure that I agree, I think it's healthy to have competition and I would not like to see less travel agents competing for our business. Look at it this way if the cruise lines ended up having a monopoly on prices do you think they would go up or down?

I don't agree at all. It's called "free enterprise" and if a TA wants to rebate some of their profit to their customers, i.e., work on volume, that's their right. Other cruiselines don't allow TAs to do that but from my perspective, the customer is the winner. Why should the cruiseline refund some of their profit just because a TA does? And, if by chance they were to refund some of their profit, how much should they refund, i.e., which TA should they match? It's your choice to do the research and if you are doing your research, you'll find TAs that will give you a better price than the cruiseline.

And look at the value the TA's give to Princess. How often does a potential cruiser go in to a TA for advise and get steered to Princess?

Not everyone does the homework themselves. Some need to work with a TA and the TA needs to make a profit.

HUGE Mistake................

The Travel agents are the Cruise Lines' best allies and best supporters.

No cruise line would be foolish enough to undersell or undermine their Travel Agents.

(Actually one cruise line was that foolish. Renaissance Cruises started up with the idea that they didn't need travel agents. They initially refused to pay commissions to TAs and encouraged the public to buy direct. They realized their error too late. Despite reversing their policy, it was too late to recover. They went into bankruptcy three times before it finally did them in for good. Too bad really; they had a great product.)

If you did all the research and legwork on a new General Motors automobile, should GM sell the car directly to you for the same price it sells to the GM Dealers?

Not a chance.

Isn't this part of the reason the old Renaissance line went under? They sold only direct, not through travel agents? So, there was absolutely no discounting available?

This is also one of the reasons (one small reason) why we don't book the other cruise lines anymore. The price they give you is the same price any TA would give you, so no reason to book anywhere else with them now.

One thing to keep in mind. Once you find a good TA, it only takes minutes to book a cruise, not hours.

Of coarse it takes a few tries to find one that gives you good service and discount pricing, but it is definitely worth the trouble and effort. ;)

I like that Princess allows TAs to give discount prices to their passengers.

If they revert to the way other lines set prices, not mentioning their names :rolleyes:

it would mean fewer deals and perks from our favorite travel agent or online travel site.

TA's would be restricted to offer only the Princess's fares. Nothing lower.

MY POINT IS: If I do all the research, pick my cruise, date, ship etc. and give all the info when I call, why do the cruise lines not give me the same low price as they give the TA's? If we do all the work for our next cruise we should be financially rewarded. .

I also got to thinking about this statement highlighted above.

Wouldn't you be doing this whether you used a TA or booked direct? I mean, I have never actually called a TA and said "I want to book a cruise find me one please". ;) I always look at what is available as to dates, itinerarys and staterooms available before I even think of contacting anyone to book, whether it would be the cruise line directly, or through a travel agency. It is just part of the research process in booking a cruise. Before the internet, we would look at brochures, now with the internet, it makes it even easier as you don't need a stack of booklets to tell you what ship is going where and what itineary the ship is sailing.

Please explain what is different between you booking direct with the cruise line or booking with a TA when it comes to research, why one is more work then another, as you have me confused as to how this would be done differently?????? Unless you are saying that you feel that getting a discount from a TA is your reward for knowing what ship, sailing date and type of stateroom you care to book. I don't know of any other way you would even consider booking a cruise without knowing those things.

There are a couple of reasons: 1-often Travel agencies buy up large blocks of cabins at a contracted rate, so they can offer a better price and 2-believe it or not, or so the rumor has it, the cruise lines would just as soon have you book through agencies. Yes they pay a commission but they can keep down their costs by not hiring as many res agents: They do not have to pay the Travel agents medical ins, salaries, sick leave, vacation, etc. Get the picture, not to mention the other costs involved in maintaining call centers..

Nita

Just thinking out loud here.

We have never used a TA ..... I am not sure what the benefit is, unless it is to get a better discount. Then that takes me back to the OP comments. Why do I not get THAT discount since I have done all the research etc. ......

Seriously, what do I gain by going through a TA? The discount that princess can give straight to me? Geez, might as well call myself a TA and get the discount (if it exists).

We have never used a TA ..... I am not sure what the benefit is, unless it is to get a better discount. Then that takes me back to the OP comments. Why do I not get THAT discount since I have done all the research etc. ......

Seriously, what do I gain by going through a TA? The discount that princess can give straight to me? Geez, might as well call myself a TA and get the discount (if it exists).

A discount TA discounts their commission, so you get the same discounts Princess gives you, PLUS a discount from the TA PLUS many offer shipboard credits on top of all the discounts. We always get anywhere from a $500-$2000 discount from a TA, depending on the cruise and the type of stateroom booked, this is LESS than the Princess price.

So, to me, that is a HUGE difference in price and well worth searching out a good discount TA to handle your booking for you.

Still doesn't answer the question of why they do not pass it to me if I did not need the services of a TA?

Also, is that off the Princess website price, or the Princess website when you are logged in price?

What I think you mean is

why not Princess just offer the lowest fare without going through the middle man.

Am I correct? :confused:

Which would make it a whole lot easier.

Except TA's provide customized service and planning for complex itineraries to multiple destinations.

Cruise lines don't handle that.

TA's will do everything to meet your travel needs. They will arrange all types of domestic and international travel and they can provide assistance with travel insurance protection, passport or visa applications and other travel requirements.

Cruise lines don't.

You have to think of a TA as a planner, a shopper who looks for the lowest fare, a counselor who offers advice , and a problem solver in case one comes about.

Still doesn't answer the question of why they do not pass it to me if I did not need the services of a TA?

Also, is that off the Princess website price, or the Princess website when you are logged in price?

The discount is above the discount we get with our Captain's Circle status (logged in).

As for why Princess dosen't discount like a TA? I have no idea, but they don't. For us, we really don't care why, as long as they continue to allow discounting by travel agents. To me, the only passengers that book direct are those that don't care about the price they pay, and are happy with what Princess charges as they are willing to pay more to have total control over their bookings. For me, the more I save, the happier I am, no matter how that needs to be done.

If I had to guess though:

Princess pays their staff, and their staff can not discount prices as that would discount their wages. Princess also pays a commission to TAs, and if that TA wishes to take less commission and pass the savings along to their clients, more power to them. Volume sales TA's is where you find the largest discounts. That is the only reason I can think of why princess does not pass along the savings that a TA can pass to their clients.

I personally due all of my own research and then book online with my no frills online TA and get the BEST PRICE and also their onboard credits, wine, etc.....

Don't expect much support on this topic here though....MANY members here are TA's and in fact some that have replied here with such distain for your idea are TA's! Theirs is a dying profession and sooner rather than later only the very best in their business will survive...:eek:

Don't expect much support on this topic here though....

MANY members here are TA's :confused:

and in fact some that have replied here with such distain for your idea are TA's! Theirs is a dying profession and sooner rather than later only the very best in their business will survive...:eek:

Who?

How do you know this? :rolleyes:..:confused:

Don't expect much support on this topic here though....MANY members here are TA's and in fact some that have replied here with such distain for your idea are TA's! Theirs is a dying profession and sooner rather than later only the very best in their business will survive...:eek:

Just to clarify, I am not a TA, have never been a TA, and am not affiliated with any TA. ;) ;) I just book through them!

If Princess ever went through with an idea like discounting through them they would have to triple their booking department. Bad idea, unless you want to book your next trip while talking to someone in Bombay !!!!!!!!!!!:D

Oh, good point. And if they had to hire more staff, the prices would continue to climb. :eek::eek: Oh No, let's hope it never gets to that point, have you called DELL lately? OMG! Impossible.

I personally due all of my own research and then book online with my no frills online TA and get the BEST PRICE and also their onboard credits, wine, etc.....

I am with you here... but I have "once upon a time" used a TA (actually twice) for a cruise... never again since I am able to surf the web ask for quotes and have always been able to pin down (from what I can tell) the lowest rate available for my cabin type, for my airfare, and yes for my hotel too. OBC's and other freebies included.

I have been beat up pretty bad so I guess I was wrong. But, maybe I did not present my case properly. Let me try again.

For cruise Y, Princess knows the amount they are going to charge and receive regardless of who pays it to them, say it's $1,000. For what ever reason (larger profit) if I were to call the cruise line they will tell me the price is $1400. But, if I am a TA and request a quote on Cruise Y they will tell me the cost is $1000. As a TA I know I have to make a certain percent profit greater than what I have to pay Princess (1K). So, I charge my client $1300. Client is happy because they pay less than than cruise line was going to charge. TA is happy they made $300. (I only suppose things happen this way).

Again, I say I know everything the TA knows about cruise Y and did the exact things they did to get the price. Why shouldn't I get the $1000 price.

I agree if my trip plans are complicated and need help I would expect the TA to be paid for their work. To the writer who said everyone does their home work and knows all the details when calling a TA. I suspect when they were beginners they did not do the home work and asked the TA for help and suggestions.

As for the cruise lines that do not let TA's discount cruises. I say not true. You have not called the right TA. I have been told I have to pay the price the cruise line wants but, they give on board credit, wine at dinner and I have received an outright check for money after I return from the cruise.

I too have never talked to or met a TA I did not like. If they were not nice people they would not be very successful. Retailers have to sell themselves before they can sell the product.

FYI, if I had to do it over again I would not have started this thread. It just sounded like a good idea at the time. I hate being the bad guy!

I have been beat up pretty bad so I guess I was wrong. But, maybe I did not present my case properly. Let me try again.

For cruise Y, Princess knows the amount they are going to charge and receive regardless of who pays it to them, say it's $1,000. For what ever reason (larger profit) if I were to call the cruise line they will tell me the price is $1400. But, if I am a TA and request a quote on Cruise Y they will tell me the cost is $1000. As a TA I know I have to make a certain percent profit greater than what I have to pay Princess (1K). So, I charge my client $1300. Client is happy because they pay less than than cruise line was going to charge. TA is happy they made $300. (I only suppose things happen this way).

Again, I say I know everything the TA knows about cruise Y and did the exact things they did to get the price. Why shouldn't I get the $1000 price.

I agree if my trip plans are complicated and need help I would expect the TA to be paid for their work. To the writer who said everyone does their home work and knows all the details when calling a TA. I suspect when they were beginners they did not do the home work and asked the TA for help and suggestions.

As for the cruise lines that do not let TA's discount cruises. I say not true. You have not called the right TA. I have been told I have to pay the price the cruise line wants but, they give on board credit, wine at dinner and I have received an outright check for money after I return from the cruise.

I too have never talked to or met a TA I did not like. If they were not nice people they would not be very successful. Retailers have to sell themselves before they can sell the product.

FYI, if I had to do it over again I would not have started this thread. It just sounded like a good idea at the time. I hate being the bad guy!

Oh, you're not the bad guy at all. This type of topic seems to bring out those that like to save money, and those that don't. LOL

I look at it a different way. Princess sells a cruise for $1400 and they make $400 on the booking (just a for instance). A TA sells this same cruise with the same profit margin/commission ($400), but the TA does a lot of volume selling of Princess cruises. I know my old TA got a huge bonus check each year (or that is what she told me) for being a top seller of Princess cruises in the Nation. Anyway, back to the equation. The TA has a $400 profit margin to play with and discount as they please. If they are looking for that large bonus, they will discount so they keep their top rating.

The TA I used to use (god rest her sole) told me she made $30 per booking, no matter what the class of stateroom booked, inside, outside or even a full suite. She discounted the rest of her commission back to her clients. And she was one very busy TA and made up in volume selling instead of counting on each and every commission. I still miss her to this day as I have never been able to find the exact same discount (and wonderful service) since she passed away.

Princess has no need to discount over and above unless they are trying to fill a ship that isn't selling well. They still have those die hard followers that would rather book direct then with a travel agency. So, they have no need to discount when their travel agents will do it and take a lot of the burden off them when it comes to phone reps and CSR's.

Just my opinion of how this all works. I honestly don't think Princess wants all these direct bookings, if they did, they would discount more. ;)

I stand to be corrected on this point but as I understand it, Princess's online pricing is essentially the "rack rate" for the cruise. Many TA or their associated groups blank out large number of cabins for which they recieve substantial discounts. They in turn pass some portion of that discount to their clients. Certainly the pricing we get from our TA is significantly lower than the pricing we see on Princess's website.

Archived