What happens at Meet and Mingle?

calenita

At the ones I've been at, everybody wears a nametag with their CruiseCritic name and their real name, there is a token gift from the cruiseline (for mine it was always a notebook on a lanyard that went around your neck, and the nametag went in the clear outside pocket). There might be some little finger food. Don't remember what their was for drinks.

Other than that, what goes on depends on the staff person running it. There might be a few door prizes, there might be a ship's officer to give a little welcome speech.

It's just basically a little get-together to put faces with the names you've been "talking" to on your Roll Call.

I shouldn't worry about it; it's not important except for the people in your roll call with whom you may be chatting to already. The important thing about registering for the M&M is that they have the booking reference so that they send you your invite to the cabin and they know they have the numbers to actually hold one....

Cindy summed it up pretty nicely already and I just want to add that Meet & Mingles can be hit or miss but it´s not really the crew that makes it hit or miss, but your fellow cruisers. If the Roll call was a lively one and people are looking forward to interact with each other at the M&M it´s usually great. However sometimes people tend to just sit and wait for the crew to do the raffle and then leave again.

So it´s in your hands to make it a great experience.:cool:

On the Voyager, we got nada. The bartender did not know what we were even talking about. No crew member showed up. No one knew where to go. We finally figured out who was who and just mingled a bit. I think there may have been cookies, but no one knew if they were ours or not. There was no sign (but we did get an invitation).

Others on board were welcome (basically since there was no free booze anyway). It was in the Viking Crown Lounge which is very spread out.

I can't remember if we had name tags or not. In summary, not much for us.:D

My wife and I went to one on AOS.

No crew.

A couple of hors de'vours.

No free alcohol.

Our MM consisted of a group of about 12 people who kept too themselves, my wife and I and a guy who came by himself. We talked to the guy (wife didn't feel like coming) for about 5 minutes and then we left.

Defnitely a 'meh'.

Defnitely a 'meh'.

Definition of meh :.

(mē')

1. (n.) A multi-purpose response, primarily used to imply a degree of indifference. Tone of voice and circumstance often implies a meaning. Can be used when you don't want to answer an awkward or embarrassing question, or if you just plain have nothing else to say, and you want the other person to interpret the "meh" however he/she chooses. As in: Q: "What do you think of my new dress?" A: "Meh." or Q: "What do you want to do tonight?" A: "Meh."

Submitted by: Anonymous, Topics: Miscellaneous

Cindy summed it up pretty nicely already and I just want to add that Meet & Mingles can be hit or miss but it´s not really the crew that makes it hit or miss, but your fellow cruisers. If the Roll call was a lively one and people are looking forward to interact with each other at the M&M it´s usually great. However sometimes people tend to just sit and wait for the crew to do the raffle and then leave again.

So it´s in your hands to make it a great experience.:cool:

I agree. Crew participation was minimal for ours, but we had a great time. Our roll call still ranks 3rd all time for Freedom, and the first two were cruises in the first couple of months for the class and ship. The cruise director didn't make it, so he sent the Activities director, otherwise known as "The Bingo Dingo" who had to book out early. The roll call members had a great time and we stayed about an hour and then ran into our new friends several times the rest of the week. Other than the mouse give-away, the only thing I remember from the crew there was the statement, "Yes, we keep an eye on what goes on with that forum."

I can say ours in March was pretty much a bore...maybe about 15-20 people showed up, a couple of crew members, some munchies and juice and then a raffle...you should have seen the people clear out after they won their raffle prize...that is all they were there for as far as I could see...my wife and I were disappointed in it and couldn't believe the actions of the others...basically a "grab 'n go" event....We won't darken the door again

My last M&M was on the Jewel TA in Sept.

They had to change the location from Hollywood Odyssey to Safari Club and the Safari Club was packed with people. We had I think more then 140 registered.

They had little snacks and bar waiters bringing drinks.

Even the Captain attended.

The Jewel TA two years ago was similar to this and when we asked for a group photo at the M&M they couldn´t take it there because too many people in there. We had scheduled it later in the Theater.

Lounge which is very spread out.

I can't remember if we had name tags or not. In summary, not much for us.:D

Now that I think about it, we (an active member of our roll call ;)) made our own. I didn't know about Roll calls when I went on my first cruise on Voyager.

Well....grown men put on lipstick...and then there was two men side by side skipping in a large circle shirtless....and then...

Oh no wait a minute...that was the bizarre game that my 'friends' got myself and my husband wrapped up into last year.

The meet and mingle was great! I met some wonderful folks.

:D

The one I was at was worthless. It was a ton of people but people tended to stay in their own little groups so trying to meet anyone was basically impossible. We had a gift exchange that lasted all of 2 minutes, we just had a crew member come in and give us the lanyard notebook. I don't recall an officer, but then with the brush-off my husband and I received we didn't see a point to stay long

We had a good M&M last year on the Adventure. The weeks before our cruise we had all decided to bring gifts for a White Elephant exchange. We brought items from where we were from. It was great, everyone liked to talk about where they were from and learn about their new friends home.

RCI didn't really do much for us, the snacks were yucky and I don't remember anything to drink but water and tea. We did have a couple of their employees doing a drawing but once they were done they were gone.

We really enjoyed seeing everyone for the rest of the week and I still think of our new friends when I look at the Canadian calendar that I won in the exchange.

The one I was at was worthless. It was a ton of people but people tended to stay in their own little groups so trying to meet anyone was basically impossible. We had a gift exchange that lasted all of 2 minutes, we just had a crew member come in and give us the lanyard notebook. I don't recall an officer, but then with the brush-off my husband and I received we didn't see a point to stay long

Our meet & mingle did get out of hand. its supposed to be a private event but with the weather being so bad (we were in the middle of Hurricane Hanna) there were a bunch of people everywhere!! and you couldn't tell who was who! and an officer didn't come, chalk that one up to the weather and the confusion in the room, the other ones I've been to were relaxing and fun! its different every time so keep trying.

Most of the M&Ms I have attended have been active with good-natured fun; to a degree they are almost a reflection of the tone of the Roll Calls. We have had a variety of Crew attend and their involvement has been appreciated. The only exception was one last summer where the timing was changed after people had left their homes for the trip and there was a telephone message in the cabin instead of a proper invitation. It turned out to be quite a saga however the people on the Roll Call did manage to get together and people pitched in to help some of our fellow CCers whose luggage was delayed.

Have won some prizes, enjoyed the gift exchange but still hoping to win the coveted "mouse".

Kathy:)

We have been to several Meet and Mingles some were dull and you could not wait to leave. However, lately we have been lucky enough to travel with other cruise critic folks who like to have fun. We have had triva contests, gift exchanges and a cabin crawl. On the Serenade this past September, once the crew left, we continued with the party. We introduced by screen name everyone who was on our list (We have 100+ registered). I have found that the Meet and Mingle is what you make it, not the staff.

Archived