Should we try Journey?

lovecruzin

First some background...We have been on about 10 cruises, mostly Celebrity, one RCCL and one HAL, we always enjoy ourselves even though there are some big differences between the ships we have sailed on...That being said, we have the Dec 18th Panama Canal cruise on hold. We did the canal on Infinity and loved it, this is an almost identical itinerary. We like the idea of a smaller ship (Horizon was a fav of ours), we like that there are no formal nights, we are not big night life party people, although we do like the martini bar :D ...

Normally, I wouldn't really care about some of this stuff, but this is a 16 day cruise!! So I want to make an informed decision!

Will there be enough activities on sea days? We like to hang out by the pool and read so, maybe that won't be an issue! What about evening entertainment?

I am apprehensive about open dining, we enjoy getting to know our tablemates and waitstaff....can we request the same waitstaff each night?

And then there are the small bathrooms, are they really that bad? We are used to the regular veranda cabins and not the suites so, maybe not a big deal!

Is there ample closet/drawer space?

Sorry for all of the questions, I did look thru the posts on this board and it sounds like people really like Azamara, should we give it a try?

Thanks in advance.

D

Will there be enough activities on sea days? We like to hang out by the pool and read so, maybe that won't be an issue!
There were a lot of activities scheduled during our cruise (14 day Ancient Empire itinerary in October on Quest) ... but it was such a port intensive cruise that I think they were having a hard time finding enough people to participate. If you like to read by the pool, I don't think you'll find more comfortable lounge chairs on any other ship ... the padding is very thick ... so be prepared to doze off.;) The library is also a very nice place to read. My favorite spot though was our balcony.

What about evening entertainment?
We had some very talented performers but the shows are not on the same scale as on larger ships and there weren't performers every night (other types of entertainment/activities were held instead.) There are also solo performers ... every evening in Mosaic Cafe, and other places throughout the ship.

I am apprehensive about open dining, we enjoy getting to know our tablemates and waitstaff....can we request the same waitstaff each night?

We really enjoyed open dining .... being able to eat whenever we felt like it each evening (other than the nights that we ate in the Specialty Restaurants) was so enjoyable and convenient (esp. on port days.) Having the option of sitting at a large or small table in Discoveries gave us a chance to meet others, or enjoy the company of just each other. Not being committed to an assigned table also gave us the chance to make plans to dine with others who we met on board. The food was very good in all restaurants, including the buffet at Windows, so we chose to eat outside on the back deck of Windows Cafe on a couple of evenings.

And then there are the small bathrooms, are they really that bad? We are used to the regular veranda cabins and not the suites so, maybe not a big deal! Is there ample closet/drawer space?
We had a 1A cabin (regular verandah) ... yes, the bathroom is small (including the shower) but we were OK with it. It's small enough though that larger people might find the space to be a challenge.

There is a lot of storage space ... more than we could use. There is 1 large and 1 small clothes closet, 4 drawers in one closet, 4 drawers in the desk, a shelf above the fridge (in a cabinet) and storage in the two night tables.

.... should we give it a try?
Yes!:)

I agree with everything that Susan wrote. In addition, I wanted to address your question about having the same waitstaff each evening. On our first evening we were placed at a lovely table by the windows. We hit it off immediately with our waiter and busboy. We began requesting that table and by the third night they must have had it in the computer that we liked that table. We would give our cabin number and the maitre'd sent us to that table without even requesting it. Every evening that we weren't in the specialty restaurant, we sat at "our table" in the dining room.

You can't beat the service on the ship - it is phenomenal. On the first or second day, I ordered a diet coke at lunch from a server. From then on, as soon as I walked into the buffet for lunch, Jorge had a diet coke waiting. Our friends began ordering beer at lunch and soon Jorge had their order waiting as well. We have never had service like that on any ship.

We are booked on the Journey for next Sept. and can't wait.

Sue

Hi LoveCruzin !

As others have answerd your questions, I wanted to add that we were on Quest last year. We had a wonderful Cruise. The ship, food, and service were outstanding. I believe you will be very happy with Azamara. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

We were on the Journey from Brazil to Miami. Had plenty of storage room-- warm weather clothing and availability of the washer/dryer made it very easy.

We also enjoyed the open dining and the Discoveries lounge. Met lots of interesting people, had excellent service and thought the food was excellent.

By all means, give it a try. We enjoyed our trip so much that we are leaving in 3 weeks for Barcelona for a TransAtlantic. (If you are interested in that, I noticed yesterday that they have guaranty balconies for $999!)

Not much I can add everyone was so good in their descriptions..I have been on two times and will be going on Quest August 9th Best Of Italy..I would love to meet any of you that can join Stu and I..call your TA today..we are really going to have fun!

Jancruz1

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the Journey and please know:

• The bathrooms are of adequate size. None of the 4 of us who cruised together are small people and no one had a problem or complained. They are fine.
  • In our cabin, we fit 2 large suitcases and a hanging bag of clothes into the storage spaces with no problem at all. There are tons of hangers. They will store your empty cases for you giving you more room. Robes, slippers, umbrellas, and binoculars are provided so that frees up more space as well.
  • In my opinion, I would not even consider anything but open seating on a long cruise. Getting stuck with tablemates you don't like would be horrible. Likewise, dining by yourselves for that length of time isn't too interesting either. No matter where you dine on Journey, the wait staff is superb. We dined at a different table every night just to meet new staff and new people. It was way too much fun!
  • There are all kinds of things to do each day - bingo (someone won the use of the penthouse for the cruise on the first day of bingo) trivia, food demonstrations, lectures, music in different venues, exercise groups, a lovely library with plenty of books, wonderful deck chairs to sit in for a snooze or reading, and I don't know what all, but something at all times. No, there aren't horse races or limbo contests like on other cruises, but I, for one, am past that. Actually, we just enjoyed relaxing after busy days at ports.

This was our 8th cruise and we would be hard-pressed to travel on another line after our 12-day Azamara experience.

Thank you for your great reviews, sound as though it was a great ship.

What deck was your cabin on. We will be in category 1A deck seven, hope to enjoy Journey as much as you guys.

Wonder if Philip Herbert, Hotel Director, will still be on board after the transatlantic crossing in Dec.

:)

Please join our Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=772306

We're taking the leap to Azamara, too. I was fortunate to tour Oceania's Regatta, a near-twin and fell in love as soon as I stepped onboard. I'm sure that Journey will be equally gorgeous, and everything I've read about the experience tells me we're in for a treat. See you onboard!

• 4 weeks later...

What are the free beverages on Azamara?

Is the frig in the cabin stocked or is it empty?

I read some older threads that talking about different menus in one of the pay restaurants. There was a 4 course meal, a tasting meal and another with wine. Is that still the case?

I just booked a 12 day for 2010 today so I am excited to try something different.

What are the free beverages on Azamara?

Is the frig in the cabin stocked or is it empty?

I read some older threads that talking about different menus in one of the pay restaurants. There was a 4 course meal, a tasting meal and another with wine. Is that still the case?

I just booked a 12 day for 2010 today so I am excited to try something different.

If you book a Sky Suite or above the frige is stocked and the water and soda's are free for the whole cruise.

Alcohol beverages you will be charged for.

the food is the best I have ever experienced on a cruise ship.!!

No matter were you dined, although we did not book the specialty restaurants, because I refuse to spend an extra fee for dining in them, although everyone I spoke to loved the specialty restaurants

We just got off the Dec. 3 to Dec. 18th transatlantic, it was the best cruise I ever had, the service is outstanding.

We were in a Sky Suite and there was lots of room for storage and plenty of room in the state room altogether. The bathroom was a tub/shower, and plenty of room.

Wonderful comfortable beds, a nice large balcony.

I really love this cruise line and we will be going back, all I can say is bye bye Celebrity HELLO Azamara!

Archived