Tips for children?

calenita

We not only have always paid the full tips for our girls (since they were little) but we almost always leave quite a bit extra. Mostly lately we usually have connecting cabins with two of our teenage daughters and two of their friends. How would you like to clean a room filled with 4 teenage girls? LOL! The only time we didn't leave extra for our cabin attendant was one time back in 2004. The guy was having personal problems with his on board girlfriend and had gotten in trouble with his superiors or something. Anyway, he didn't do his job very well and a couple of times didn't even clean the cabins while we were at dinner. Anyway, we left him the regular amount, but no extra. While we weren't particularly happy with his service, we still had a great time on that cruise!

I didn't read one post advocating not tipping. People are merely expressing their opinions which is what this board is all about. IMHO the cabin steward isn't doing four times the work, one cabin to vacuum one bathroom to clean. Some people are slobs and make it more work then others so let your conscience be your guide. As for the dining room, kids usually do make more of a mess and are well catered to. people need to do what they feel is right for them without all the scolding that takes place on these boards.

I didn't read one post advocating not tipping. People are merely expressing their opinions which is what this board is all about. IMHO the cabin steward isn't doing four times the work, one cabin to vacuum one bathroom to clean. Some people are slobs and make it more work then others so let your conscience be your guide. As for the dining room, kids usually do make more of a mess and are well catered to. people need to do what they feel is right for them without all the scolding that takes place on these boards.

The whole point of the "suggested" amount is so that people DON'T do what they feel is right for them. You always make the same argument on every tipping thread. I would be just as happy if they made the gratuity mandatory and then it wouldn't be discretionary anymore for the cheapskates who will use any excuse not to part with a few extra bucks on the back of the hard working people.

The whole point of the "suggested" amount is so that people DON'T do what they feel is right for them. You always make the same argument on every tipping thread. I would be just as happy if they made the gratuity mandatory and then it wouldn't be discretionary anymore for the cheapskates who will use any excuse not to part with a few extra bucks on the back of the hard working people.

It does NOT say "SUGGESTED"

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000I3JuiQaoz-EEmU5QJ8Z8gSZ:12hbioan0?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=263&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

Not that I'm for skimping on tips at all.....

it says "guidelines" - the 15% gratuity on drinks is mandatory and automatically imposed - gratuities to other staff is not.

Not that I'm for skimping on tips at all.....

it says "guidelines" - the 15% gratuity on drinks is mandatory and automatically imposed - gratuities to other staff is not.

Only in the "Question" does it mention "guideline".

THE Answer does not include any wordsing regarding "suggestion", guideline", etc. with the exception of "Other Personnel". All gratuities for attendants and waiters "apply to guests of all ages."

So, therefore, RCI's policy does not include "suggestion" or "guideline"; Only someone's question contains that wording.

THE Answer does not include any wordsing regarding "suggestion", guideline", etc. with the exception of "Other Personnel". All gratuities for attendants and waiters "apply to guests of all ages."

So, therefore, RCI's policy does not include "suggestion" or "guideline"; Only someone's question contains that wording.

So which are you saying is the correct wording and why ?

Aren't both statements published by RCI ?

Since you are looking at the exact wording doesn't the definition

of what a gratuity is make it a suggestion or guideline anyway ?

If the people are doing their job tip the right amount as probably

99.9% of passengers do.

Um, nope - the word 'guidelines' is used in the answer.

What's really funny here is that you dismiss the word 'guideline' here simply because it's in the question and not answer (erroneously to boot) - but in 'dress' threads you completely depend on the words "dress code" in the question, rather than the 'suggestions' used in the answer.

A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Um, nope - the word 'guidelines' is used in the answer.

What's really funny here is that you dismiss the word 'guideline' here simply because it's in the question and not answer (erroneously to boot) - but in 'dress' threads you completely depend on the words "dress code" in the question, rather than the 'suggestions' used in the answer.

A: So that you can thank those who have made your cruise vacation better than you could have imagined, we've developed these gratuity guidelines:

Thanks, Allie, you saved me a lot of typing!!! Wow, can anyone here say " NITPICK " !!!

There's only one bathroom to clean but two extra beds so it seems that children and 3rd or 4th persons in the same cabin should be prorated.

I don't get the bathroom logic here. 3 or 4 times the supplies are used, and I would imagine lots more towels to replace, and garbage to dispose of, so the bathroom would also take longer to clean and prep.

The more people in a cabin, the more messy it is.

I agree that the tips should be the same for kids. If they eat, poop, sleep, dress, and make garbage, then the WORK involved is the same to clean up after them. Extra work = extra pay.

This past July I cruised two older teens. Seated with an older couple with a 6 year old at dinner. The child was the most obnoxious kid I ever saw. He bullied the waiters, and always much drama , always wanting multiple dinners because nothing was to his liking. The parents were idiots. That kid would have been taken out of the room for a few minutes after the first time he pulled this. The parents even gloated about the fact that they were shortchanging the waiters the last night because they didn't feel their son was treated well. Give me a break.

They were going on and on about how they should have gone with their gut and taken Carnival which was always much better to their son. An idiot of a kid and no friends, gee, ya think??

Tipping , like formal nite dress, is a guideline.---That being said, I wish they would make the guideline a "service charge" ---people could cash tip above that----people who felt they did not recieve good service could go to guest services to have it removed

I have seen many people on cruises rationalize why they shouldn't have to tip--or just not show up in the dining room the last nite

JMHO

Paul

Archived