Cruise Value Center agency went under...

Moonlight Beach

Hummmmmm..... Let's see if I can sort this out.

If they took our money and didn't pay the Cruise Lines before they went bankrupt, that might be considered to be bad business.

It they took the money, didn't pay the Cruise Lines, and still claim to be in business, that sure seems like Fraud to me. Either stealing from the customers or from the Credit Card companies!

It has been two months now and there has been nothing done, except for Jeff Kivets Son-in -law Ross Spalding opening a new agency two and a half weeks after Cruises of Distinction and Cruise Value Center shut down, there was a lot of wrong doing in both these companies.

People have spoken to him and he is blaming his "other partners". He claims there are more than two owners.

There is does anyone ever wonder why Jeff Kivet spoke out only when this news broke, he still owns the company too.

Yep, I got the same letter for our upcoming Carnival cruise.

It seems really, strange to me. Think about the person who isn't on CC and doesn't know what is going on... They are just waiting to board their ship in a few weeks......

1)We're not taking new bookings (we still aren't telling you that we kept the money that you paid for your cruise)

2)There is mis-information and rumors (rumors about what? Soooo, what is the truth?)

3)You should contact your credit card company, etc. (they still haven't said why you should contact them or that your booking is no-longer paid-for/valid).

These guys are really, really, detatched from reality. Hopefully, someone brings them back into the real world! Possibly their next statement should begin, "Yes, Your Honor...."

I am just goin back over all the threads and I want to know what Jeff and Paula Kivet did with all the money the Smith boys paid them, why should the customer have to dispute their c/c, it should have never been charged, I agree the next statement should begin "Yes Your Honor.....

I am just goin back over all the threads and I want to know what Jeff and Paula Kivet did with all the money the Smith boys paid them, why should the customer have to dispute their c/c, it should have never been charged, I agree the next statement should begin "Yes Your Honor.....

I hear u loud & clear & concur...wish it wld happen more often plus perhaps the question after the trial for these type of folks, esp a guy named Madoff, sld be 'do u want a blindfold' & then ready, aim, fire!!!

Might help put an end to all the greed & then the despair & grief they cause others..Won't stop without drastic punishments - there is no 'fear' & too much to gain otherwise..

I hear u loud & clear & concur...wish it wld happen more often plus perhaps the question after the trial for these type of folks, esp a guy named Madoff, sld be 'do u want a blindfold' & then ready, aim, fire!!!

Might help put an end to all the greed & then the despair & grief they cause others..Won't stop without drastic punishments - there is no 'fear' & too much to gain otherwise..

I agree and this Madoff is going to be under house arrest in a multi million dollar residence. Yes, indeed there is something wrong with this picture. Everyone here pays and goes through much unrest and these slim balls walk free.

There is does anyone ever wonder why Jeff Kivet spoke out only when this news broke, he still owns the company too.

If that is true it is not being publicly stated, as all the news reports just state that he sold the company to the Smith brothers.

• 8 months later...

"East Brunswick travel agent sentenced to 10 years in theft" an article from New Jersey Real Time News about a Cruise Value Center employee: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/employee_gets_10_years_for_ste.html

"During a trial, Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Marcia Silva charged that the woman offered expensive vacations to her friends, took cash payments, billed the expenses on her employer's credit card and then kept the money for herself."

"In addition, Rossano was found guilty of destroying computer records in an attempt to hide the thefts, Silva said, adding that the woman may have stolen more than $200,000 before she was caught."

Christopher Elliott adds his two cents: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/traveltips/12/23/travel.agents/index.html

We dealt with them a few times and were fortunate enough to have good service and no issues whatsoever.

Does anyone know if the insolvency process has been completed or if any charges were laid against the principals or senior management of the firm?

"East Brunswick travel agent sentenced to 10 years in theft" an article from New Jersey Real Time News about a Cruise Value Center employee: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/employee_gets_10_years_for_ste.html

"During a trial, Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Marcia Silva charged that the woman offered expensive vacations to her friends, took cash payments, billed the expenses on her employer's credit card and then kept the money for herself."

"In addition, Rossano was found guilty of destroying computer records in an attempt to hide the thefts, Silva said, adding that the woman may have stolen more than $200,000 before she was caught."

Christopher Elliott adds his two cents: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/traveltips/12/23/travel.agents/index.html

It's good that someone if following through and catching people.

My understanding was that this was an employee who stole funds. Did that small theft trigger the bancrupcy? I was wondering what came from an examination of the financial records by the receiver/trustee, ie did the principals or senior management make off with the cash or did it just go to boost operation expenses and prolong the bancrupcy. Just about every company has employees stealing from it in some way or another.

We dealt with this company for several years and were very satisfied. I was upset when I read that they'd gone under. I'd hate to think it was operating on such a shoe string that $200,000 would put them under. Their prices were always lower than anyone else we found. I guess we were lucky we didn't have anything going with them when they bellied up.

We dealt with this company for several years and were very satisfied. I was upset when I read that they'd gone under. I'd hate to think it was operating on such a shoe string that $200,000 would put them under. Their prices were always lower than anyone else we found. I guess we were lucky we didn't have anything going with them when they bellied up.

We also dealt with them. My upcoming Panama cruise was booked with CVC. They always had the best price. I only discovered that they had gone bankrupt accidently while googling them. Had a heart stopping weekend when I discovered that they not only didn't forward our deposit to HAL immediately and that our Documents for an upcoming Christmas 08 cruise had not been sent. Fortunately, HAL did receive the money and we had them take over the registration for our Panama Cruise and they delivered our documents. But I feel sorry for all the people who got stung by them. We booked in October of 2008 and they went bankrupt the next month.

The article,also said that she had been convicted several times before, of stealing from other employers..

I don't understand why these companies don't do background checks of their employees..

Betty

Archived