what do you wish you had/hadn't packed?

nilsbyy

My partner and I are going on our first cruise in January and I'm already freaking out about what to pack. I hate being unprepared! For those of you who have some experience, what did you wish you'd packed but didn't, and what did you pack that you shouldn't have bothered with?

Thanks in advance!

Too many shoes--for warm weather ports, you'll spend most of your time in flip-flops or sandals--no need to bring a different pair for every outfit! And shorts...they can be worn more than once! You'll be surprised at how little anyone else notices what you have on!

Typically, my cruise gadgets include a pair of two way radios with a charger, a camera that needs batteries, a second camera with a charger, and a fan that operates on batteries or plugs into the wall. (Most people would rather have a phone, PDA or laptop rather than 2 cameras :rolleyes: but...)

So, on my checklist is a set of replacement batteries, and/or charger, and/or wall plug adapter for each, but sometimes I've still had problems. Once I brought the wrong charger :rolleyes:. Another time my battery fan got a real workout in a warm cabin, and I needed more batteries.

Many cabins only have a single wall plug (not one duplex of two - *1* outlet!) If you're going to charge multiple items you likely need an outlet expander.

Please note all the items I've mentioned have low power demands. Please don't bring an iron (which is a fire hazard) or a high wattage hair dryer that is going to tax the ship's system.

Batteries are heavy for their size, but the price of batteries on ship or in port (and the inconvenience of taking time to find them) will make you kick yourself if you need them.

Once on a cruise, just when I started feeling smug I'd got everything mechanical and electronic right: my watch stopped. Now I replace the button battery just before I cruise.

If you're doing a Carib cruise, bring two bathing suits with coverups or fast drying nylon shorts. You'll often wear a suit off the ship when heading to a beach or water excursion. You'll need fewer shorts and tops than you think. Visor or sun hat to protect your face.

If needed, a spare pair of glasses or contacts. My husband broke his glasses and luckily the gal selling jewelry on board had the instruments and glue to fix them. She was a find!!

High enough spf lotion. I tan very easily and won't go with a 15 (my usual) on a cruise. Does nothing in the Carib hot sun and water.

so many clothes & shoes. The over the door shoe holder for toiletries, since there's plenty of room in the bathroom. The powerstrip. There were more than enough outlets. Pepsi. We gave all but 1 bottle to Omar, our steward.

On the other hand, we're glad we took...our own beach towels. An alarm clock, since we like to be able to glance over at it to do a quick time check. Extra swimsuits. Flipflops, which were invaluable when my feet and ankles got so swollen. A highlighter to mark what we wanted to do on the Compass.

Glad I took highlighters to mark what I wanted to do in the daily planner. Copies of confirmations for our shore excursions and hotel reservations--never had a hassel since I always have a copy. Extra batteries (very expensive on ship) Gallon sized zip lock bags--great for a variety of things (wet suits, putting souvieners in ect) Books that I want to read--love to sit on deck and read! Our own deck of cards so we can always play a game when we want.

Wish I didn't bring so many shoes (take up lots of room and never wear them all) With the new airline restrictions I think I will be a lot better packer now. Don't ever need as many clothes as I bring.

I am usually a pretty good planner. I always take a small kit with bandaids, acewrap, rolaids, tylenol,antibiotic ointment ect...don't want to have to go to the infirmary for something that is minor and haven't had to yet.

Have never needed a power strip or over door organizer.

Now take Diet Pepsi (Coke land...), Diet Mountain Dew (we pick these up at grocery on the way in) Green tea bags (regular tea upsets my stomach, and this helps keep me hydrated) and my insulated mug.

Take glasses, extra contacts, plenty of OTC meds (TOO expensive on ship), 2 bottles 50SPF sunscreen...use it all, and still come home w/ great tan!

WAY less clothes than we used to!

2 pr. shorts/several tees for breakfast

swimsuit/sarong

denim skirt/black tank to cover suit at ports

dressy black capris & several dressy camisoles for dinner

flip flops & heels

2 bras/3 undies (I handwash)

SERIOUSLY...I could ALMOST do a carry on!

if you're like me some stuff i could never go without-

-my own shampoo/conditioner in small bottles

-extra contacts/contact solution

-hand sanitizer

-deoderant

-hair products

-SUNSCREEN

-razors, i think waxing beforehand will eliminate the need for razors on a short cruise

-i always bring my own bottle of handsoap because i hate sticking with bar soap only

-my hair straightener

-digital camera+ one cheap disposable camera

-My small-ish bag of makeup

-at least 2-3 swimsuits

-at least 2 sundresses

-at least 1 formal dress

-a couple pairs of dressy shorts/capris

-a NEW PAIR of underwear for each day!! they dont take up alot of room and thats something i dont want to skimp on (i see some ppl saying they only take like 2-3 pairs...yuck)

-a bunch (3-5) dressy tops that you can mix and match with everything

-maybe 2 pairs of flip flops (which don't take up much room) and maybe one pair of sneakers (depending on what activities you have planned)

-CAN'T FORGET ZIPLOC BAGS!!

TO LEAVE BEHIND-

lots and lots of shoes (they take up lots of room and are unnecessary)

-my cell phone. It wont kill me to go a week without talking to ppl. PLUS, the charges are outragous using your cell from most these places. Plus too much hassle to keep up with it and charger etc.

-your laptop. You just dont need it.

-your own booze/soda. C'mon don't be THAT cheap

-beach towels (very big and not necessary)

-jewelry (no need to risk losing anything you would mind losing) stick to cheap stuff you dont care about, or nothing at all.

um...i guess thats it for now... thats all i can think of LOL:p

Wow, sounds like the common thread is 'too much clothing' and 'too many shoes'!

For those of you who mentioned hand-washing things: how did you hang them to dry afterwards? Is it possible to rig a short clothesline? Do I need to pack rope or clothespins?

Also, I heard they supply you with beach towels --- does this mean the same towel all week, or do they change them out like they would your bath towels at a hotel?

Also, I heard they supply you with beach towels --- does this mean the same towel all week, or do they change them out like they would your bath towels at a hotel?

I had read on the boards prior to our first cruise that you can get the towels from RCCL, but if lost you'll be charged. We take our own just because I don't want to risk someone taking ones that I'll be charged for, and it's also nice to be able to recognize what chairs are ours by the distinctive towels.

Wow, sounds like the common thread is 'too much clothing' and 'too many shoes'!

For those of you who mentioned hand-washing things: how did you hang them to dry afterwards? Is it possible to rig a short clothesline? Do I need to pack rope or clothespins?

There should be a pull-out clothesline over your tub or shower. You can bring clothespins or just drape wet things over the line. You'll get clean beach towels every day. Just leave your dirty towels on the floor in the bathroom and clean one's will appear :) from your Room Steward!

For my first 7-day cruise... wish I had packed one more pair of pants (but I guess you can do a load of laundry if you run out or get all of them dirty) and more one $ bills. What I wish I had not packed was so many casual tops.

someone mentioned t-shirts for breakfast...question: is the dress code the same in the dining room for breakfast and lunch? We have been told to eat some of those meals in the dining room for the experience as well as the food quality...but if there is a dress code, that means changing clothes all day long...Obviously, I KNOW that swim suits, cut offs, etc... aren't allowed. I'm asking about jeans, nice shorts or capris, that type of thing...again for lunch and breakfast NOT the evening meal.

so many cloths...I always think we will need to change more than necassary. I cant think of a cruise where we ended up packing too little clothing. Keep it in mind when you are packing. Especially with so many airline restrictions these days

A lot of airlines now will charge you for every bag you check in. I believe it's mostly $15 apiece, so if you can fit your stuff into one bag you can save some money, especially if you're traveling in large groups. Also you can try using a bigger suitcase that will fit all of your stuff instead of 2 smaller/medium ones. Just be aware of the 50 lb maximum restriction. Luckily cloths aren't that heavy though.

I wish I had packed more sleeved tops - since I figured it would be warm weather, I packed lots of tanks (but stylish ones). I then learned that tanks were not allowed at dinner service, so I had to mismatch sweaters with the tanks I packed on board. It wasn't a huge deal, but I'm a bit of a fashion diva, so it bothered me. :p

My husband wished he didn't pack as many clothes - we didn't know that the ship would have two days where they offered $20 per bag laundry service. I, on the other hand, have already mentioned I'm a fashion diva so I'm glad I packed a different outfit for each day (I rolled them well so they all still fit in a medium sized suitcase).

I brought a power strip and highlighter like others had suggested - I didn't use either. I am glad to have followed the advice of bringing my own shampoo - the body wash they have in the cabin was kind of icky.

I wish I had packed Airborne - there were so many coughing people on the ship - we ended up buying some for $10 on the ship and managed to escape sickness on our 10-day cruise.

I wish I had packed more sleeved tops - since I figured it would be warm weather, I packed lots of tanks (but stylish ones). I then learned that tanks were not allowed at dinner service, so I had to mismatch sweaters with the tanks I packed on board. It wasn't a huge deal, but I'm a bit of a fashion diva, so it bothered me. :p

My husband wished he didn't pack as many clothes - we didn't know that the ship would have two days where they offered $20 per bag laundry service. I, on the other hand, have already mentioned I'm a fashion diva so I'm glad I packed a different outfit for each day (I rolled them well so they all still fit in a medium sized suitcase).

I brought a power strip and highlighter like others had suggested - I didn't use either. I am glad to have followed the advice of bringing my own shampoo - the body wash they have in the cabin was kind of icky.

I wish I had packed Airborne - there were so many coughing people on the ship - we ended up buying some for $10 on the ship and managed to escape sickness on our 10-day cruise.

What ship were you on? I have worn sleeveless tops to dinner and never has it been an issue? I love my clothes too, but I have learned to pack extremely well. Last cruise, I wore all but 2 items. I also bring 2 pair of underwear per day! LOL! I won't go without them. I like to have a night light as well as our alarm clock. I always bring conditioner, many ships do not provide it automatically anymore. I always take prescription antibiotics and otc cold meds as well as tums, tylenol, pepto and neosporin. I will never ever leave cough drops or cold meds at home again, period! TA last year, $180 to see the doctor for antibiotics, inhaler, cough medicine and breathing treatment, plus he offered me an additional treatment free of charge. I thought it was actually quite reasonable...........but, I then had to buy cough drops from the gift shop.......

There should be a pull-out clothesline over your tub or shower. You can bring clothespins or just drape wet things over the line. You'll get clean beach towels every day. Just leave your dirty towels on the floor in the bathroom and clean one's will appear :) from your Room Steward!

I've never been on a cruise where there wasn't a pull out clotheslind in the shower. Are you sure you didn't miss it?

So many good suggestions. I have cruised a few times and thought I had it down pat, but I picked up a few tips that will go with me next time.

I know some people do not need a power strip, but I take a small one because of the ipod, camera, camcorder and laptop chargers (cell phone too, for those who take them) all take up outlets. Add in curling irons, steamers, another hair dryer (I have been in 1 room with 5 people... me, my wife, daughter and 2 nieces... spent a LOT of time at the atrium watering hole.) Monster Cables make a travel power strip that I picked up at a RadioShack that was perfect ... I'm sure there are other companies and outlets that carry them though.

Take extra one dollar bills to tip the porters/bus drivers/etc. Don't forget a hat, somedays the sun is just too intense. Take a small eyeglass screwdriver - great for the obvious, but handy for cameras and camcorders as well. I also take a small eyeglass chamois for camera lenses as well. I also take a small digital recorder - I do some travel writing - but even when I don't have a story to write I still take it simply to help remember the names of faces and places we had encountered.

As far as what I wish I hadn't packed. Of course too many shoes and clothes, although underwear is a must... especially for us guys. My motto... a scivvy a day keeps the wife in play. ;) I get tired of toting the laptop, and since digital camera memory is getting so cheap, I will just get extra cards and probably ditch the lapper.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can conjure up. Happy cruising.

Archived