Cruise Value Closes Down..Keeps Money

lucybanes

Has anyone else been ripped off by Cruise Value? I paid for my cruise on Royal Caribbean scheduled for January. Yesterday, I was told by another couple going on the cruise that they have closed their doors...without sending our tickets. Now we are out our money! Last year, the original owners of Cruise Value sold the business to two brothers. I got in touch with one of the new owners and all he could tell me was to notify my credit card company....just that easy for him to say. Yes, I have notified my credit card, but I think the brothers need to face up to this situation. They charged my credit card two weeks before closing the business. Instead of notifing us of the situation, they went ahead and took my money.

Has anyone else been ripped off by Cruise Value? I paid for my cruise on Royal Caribbean scheduled for January. Yesterday, I was told by another couple going on the cruise that they have closed their doors...without sending our tickets. Now we are out our money! Last year, the original owners of Cruise Value sold the business to two brothers. I got in touch with one of the new owners and all he could tell me was to notify my credit card company....just that easy for him to say. Yes, I have notified my credit card, but I think the brothers need to face up to this situation. They charged my credit card two weeks before closing the business. Instead of notifing us of the situation, they went ahead and took my money.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=873535

You can't make these dishonest people pay. File a dispute with your credit card company and get a refund. Check with the cruiseline as others have been able to keep their bookings. Good luck. The world is full of good and very bad people.

Read the instructions on this webpage what to do:

http://www.thisworldtraveler.com/labels/bankruptcy.html

That's for sure. I already disputed the charge with my credit card company, but the Smith brothers are just passing the buck and having our credit card pay instead of them. There are about 14 people going with us, and only one paid thru Royal. We all went thru CVC

"#304 report.gif

post_old.gif Today, 01:37 PM

cas4girls user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Ok all...this is the best I can do to help.

Richard Smith 248 705-8665 Cell

Ronald Smith 248 705 613 2424 Cell

248 333 9701 direct office line

248 333 9703 direct office line

248 338 9577 Home

Best of luck to all of you as I am still trying to sort out my mess with NCL.

The money they collected and didnt pay to the cruiselines had left over 1000 bookings with different cruiselines unpaid. The deposited clients are left without their offers so it is very nice of HAL to help out and I sincerely hope the other cruiselines will do the same or at least allow us clients to move our bookings to an agent that wants to help us."

Here are the numbers. The problem is that some lines will not transfer the bookings without a release form and others did not pay by credit card and/or are owed money. I understand as they do not want to pay commission twice.

yep, add me to the list!!! I have disputed this with my cc and they tell me now, that if they (CVC) closed their doors, then I probably won't get my money back, because they (cc company) can't go after a company that has no money...

Carnival acted like it was no big deal, tried to get my CC # over the phone so that they could re-book, thank GAWD I didn't do it, because then I would be double charged, if I don't get my money back from CVC.

So now, I have to come up with additional fares for us, sad, we were suppose to attend a family re-union. CArnival did extend my due date, and my cruise is in January. Sucks.

Any advise???

yep, add me to the list!!! I have disputed this with my cc and they tell me now, that if they (CVC) closed their doors, then I probably won't get my money back, because they (cc company) can't go after a company that has no money...

Carnival acted like it was no big deal, tried to get my CC # over the phone so that they could re-book, thank GAWD I didn't do it, because then I would be double charged, if I don't get my money back from CVC.

So now, I have to come up with additional fares for us, sad, we were suppose to attend a family re-union. CArnival did extend my due date, and my cruise is in January. Sucks.

Any advise???

Check the HAL board as it has the longest thread.

Which credit card company are you dealing with? You should fill in and both send and fax the form which may be on the back of you statement.

"#304 report.gif

post_old.gif Today, 01:37 PM

cas4girls user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Ok all...this is the best I can do to help.

Richard Smith 248 705-8665 Cell

Ronald Smith 248 705 613 2424 Cell

248 333 9701 direct office line

248 333 9703 direct office line

248 338 9577 Home

Best of luck to all of you as I am still trying to sort out my mess with NCL.

The money they collected and didnt pay to the cruiselines had left over 1000 bookings with different cruiselines unpaid. The deposited clients are left without their offers so it is very nice of HAL to help out and I sincerely hope the other cruiselines will do the same or at least allow us clients to move our bookings to an agent that wants to help us."

Here are the numbers. The problem is that some lines will not transfer the bookings without a release form and others did not pay by credit card and/or are owed money. I understand as they do not want to pay commission twice.

thanks for the numbers, I am also one of those that booked with CV.... i have been dealing with them for 4 years and never had trouble, this is such a shock to me, all I know is that I am dealing with the cruise line directly from now on and their has to be something else we can do to make them miserable

Penny

I worked with CVC for about 5 years and was always pleased. My brother, his wife and I booked with them for a cruise December 14. When the news came out about them closing, I called Carnival immediately -- and mine was completely paid for. I had made my final payment in Sept.

However, my brother, who had paid in full in July was only credited with a deposit....the entire amount for final payment was never sent.

He called his credit card company who backed the charges out in 3-days and he simply called Carnival, gave them the cc number and is now good to go.....plus, Carnival gave him a nice upgrade to and aft balcony!!!!

Couldn't be more pleased with how Carnival handled things......

You can't expect your cruise company to do all the work for you. You must be proactive by immediately contacting your cc company and get them working on crediting you - then, call your cruise company and make payment to them directly.

I worked with CVC for about 5 years and was always pleased. My brother' date=' his wife and I booked with them for a cruise December 14. When the news came out about them closing, I called Carnival immediately -- and mine was completely paid for. I had made my final payment in Sept.

However, my brother, who had paid in full in July was only credited with a deposit....the entire amount for final payment was never sent.

He called his credit card company who backed the charges out in 3-days and he simply called Carnival, gave them the cc number and is now good to go.....plus, Carnival gave him a nice upgrade to and aft balcony!!!!

You can't expect your cruise company to do all the work for you. You must be proactive by immediately contacting your cc company and get them working on crediting you - then, call your cruise company and make payment to them directly.[/quote']

we paid our Jan cruise in October and just the deposit was there....RC is doing everything that they can do help us out as well...I am just so angry with cruise value, I guess I just need to stop thinking about all teh what if's and be thank ful that everything is working out so far

Penny

We had been booking our cruises for several years through the Cruise Value's sister agency, Cruises of Distinction (believe we can mention this cruise broker's name now as it has folded also), and just booked a cruise on Emerald Princess next year. Fortunately for us, we had paid future cruise deposits on our last cruise this past spring on Coral Princess, so hadn't sent in any money.

As soon as I found out the news, I called Princess, spoke to Customer Relations and they transferred our booking directly to the cruiseline. I feel badly as the woman who'd worked with us at COD was nice and always accomodated our requests as best she could. I feel badly for the employees of both agencies who lost their jobs.

Hope that those of you whose travel plans are in limbo right now can get a satisfactory resolution to this mess and get on your cruises!

I worked with CVC for about 5 years and was always pleased. My brother' date=' his wife and I booked with them for a cruise December 14. When the news came out about them closing, I called Carnival immediately -- and mine was completely paid for. I had made my final payment in Sept.

You can't expect your cruise company to do all the work for you. You must be proactive by immediately contacting your cc company and get them working on crediting you - then, call your cruise company and make payment to them directly.[/quote']

My SIL's cc company said they would give her a "temporary" credit, but if they can't get the money back from CVC they would again debit her card. So far I haven't received any credit from my CC company - they told me it could take 60 days. Sucks.

With today's credit squeeze and general commercial/financial environment, there will probably be many more bankruptcies/liquidations of all sorts of businesses in coming months. The sad fact is that when companies start feeling the pinch, they often start playing games; hoping to keep themselves solvent. This usually involves collecting incoming payments as early as possible and making outgoing payments as late as possible - to help the cash flow.

Any time you buy anything through a middleman rather than directly with the provider, you double your chances of getting burned. In travelling, it is probably safest to book direct with the airline, cruise line, hotel, etc. It is most likely that we will hear of many more businesses closing in coming months - leaving customers holding the bag.

With today's credit squeeze and general commercial/financial environment, there will probably be many more bankruptcies/liquidations of all sorts of businesses in coming months. The sad fact is that when companies start feeling the pinch, they often start playing games; hoping to keep themselves solvent. This usually involves collecting incoming payments as early as possible and making outgoing payments as late as possible - to help the cash flow.

Any time you buy anything through a middleman rather than directly with the provider, you double your chances of getting burned. In travelling, it is probably safest to book direct with the airline, cruise line, hotel, etc. It is most likely that we will hear of many more businesses closing in coming months - leaving customers holding the bag.

Actually, it can happen when you pay the company directly too. We paid Vanguard thousands of dollars for a trip and they also went belly up - in todays world, you never know!

This is what is left on the home page today.

CRUISE VALUE CENTER HAS TEMPORARILY STOPPED TAKING NEW BOOKINGS.

HERE IS SOME HELPFUL INFORMATION.

1. Call the Cruise Line to find out the status of your booking.
    • If they have your deposit and final payment received… then have them send your documents to your home address.
    • If they have your deposit and you have not been charged for your final payment… then make your final payment to them and have your documents sent to your home address.
    • If they have your deposit and you have been charged on your credit card but the Cruise Line has not received the final payment… then call your credit card company and “dispute” the charge. You may receive your money back and you can pay the Cruise Line directly.

[*] Regarding travel insurance … please contact the insurance company directly.

[*] Any financial loss may be covered by your travel insurance… your homeowners insurance… or your credit card insurance. We suggest you contact them.

[*] You may contact us by U.S. Mail only.

Cruise Value Center

6 Edgeboro Road

East Brunswick, NJ 08816

Regarding travel insurance … please contact the insurance company directly. Any financial loss may be covered by your travel insurance…

The owners of Cruise Value Center are telling you that you might get your money back from Jerry Watson and his Prime Travel Protection company? Good luck with that one! Jerry's the guy who was cited in another post a couple of days ago for rejecting a claim because the poster's 91 year old Mother's death was regarded as a pre-existing condition!

The owners of Cruise Value Center are telling you that you might get your money back from Jerry Watson and his Prime Travel Protection company? Good luck with that one! Jerry's the guy who was cited in another post a couple of days ago for rejecting a claim because the poster's 91 year old Mother's death was regarded as a pre-existing condition!

Harry, I just copied what was on their web site. I don't believe there is any insurance that covers travel agency bankruptcy, only SUPPLIERS who go bankrupt, such as a cruise line or tour company.

While I am sorry to hear of all the heartache concerning the closing of yet another discount cruise/travel service, I must point out that you get what you pay for.. I personally would not book through any sort of T/A or travel service for this very reason. I book and pay directly to the cruise line, airline etc. Yeah I pay a little more however that little more is my insurance as well as piece of mind that I will be able to travel/vacation.

These times are rough for everyone. I really do not see the cruise lines going out of business, they have way too much to loose. Heck you can even get some really good bargains with the economy the way it is..

I wish the best of luck to those effected by CVC going belly up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done the same thing and heard nothing from the Attorney General. Who did you file a police report with? I called the police department and they knew nothing about this situation! They seemed interested in what was going on and asked that I file a report here where I live and then the Michigan police would call my local to varify. I call the Smith boys at least once a week to let them know what I think. They sent me a copy of a letter they sent out to their customers....what a joke!

Archived