?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

But some of us have a problem with a tray. I am extremely short and yes also a bit plump and carrying a heavy tray is not only hard but I have a fear of falling carrying it and not being able to see the ground of where I walk and fear tripping on something. We do frequent buffets here in Las Vegas where there probably has not been a tray for a good 15 years so maybe that is what I am use to. But it is I that is getting attacked for just stating that I know and have been told by not only Seattle but two GRMs on two different ships that the trays are in fact going away. I am sorry for those that still want it and obviously HAL is still going to help you and provide to you what you want.

But because I find it hard to walk and maneuver around the Lido carrying a large tray and happen to like this idea, I am bashing all of you :eek: I do not think so.

Again Yes I agree this is going to inconvenience some people and for that I am sorry.

So, because you don't like to use them, and was never forced to, you are THRILLED that they are no longer available to those who do need/want them, because they got in your way in the food lines? :rolleyes:

Honestly, you were not attacked "for just stating" that the trays would be gone. Your attitude toward those with a genuine need for them was what drew the responses to your posts. Knowing how difficult every day is for our friend in his wheelchair, I found the trivialization and mocking of those with special needs quite disturbing. I'm sure that HAL is doing this strictly for the bottom line but how sad is it that people are now bringing their own trays in their luggage, or carrying around a room service tray so that they can use it in the lido? And needing to hide trays in their rooms so that the stewards don't take them? Do you honestly think people would go to those lengths just to gorge themselves? There's clearly a need and as much as HAL tries to say that they have enough staff in the Lido to help those who need it, several of us have found that not to be true.

Someone mentioned earlier that another line has the steward at the food line ask each pax if they need a tray and, if they do, he supplies one. It seems that would be a good compromise instead of pax trying to hunt down someone to find one for them.

If a tray is absolutely essential, there are two simple solutions here:

1. As Ruth suggested, "borrow" one from Room Service. They're a little on the large side, but hey, it's better than no tray at all.

2. Pack a plastic one in the bottom of your suitcase. I just weighed one we have: 1 1/2 lbs. At my inn, I have dozens that I provide for guests to use to take their breakfast to the patio if they wish. Half the size of a "normal" tray.

Our home center stocks them because of the high demand from guest houses/B&B's. But I'm sure you could find one online.

It's not such an unusual suggestion. After all, we pack other essentials we can't live without on a cruise!

Since this is still going, just a heads up. Those room service trays are quite a bit larger, can you say wider, than the ones in the Lido. They might present somewhat of a challenge to folks without 'a large wingspan'

If a tray is absolutely essential, there are two simple solutions here:

1. As Ruth suggested, "borrow" one from Room Service. They're a little on the large side, but hey, it's better than no tray at all.

2. Pack a plastic one in the bottom of your suitcase. I just weighed one we have: 1 1/2 lbs. At my inn, I have dozens that I provide for guests to use to take their breakfast to the patio if they wish. Half the size of a "normal" tray.

Our home center stocks them because of the high demand from guest houses/B&B's. But I'm sure you could find one online.

It's not such an unusual suggestion. After all, we pack other essentials we can't live without on a cruise!

They should make this post into a STICKY!:D

Actually I was thinking it should just be locked.

The thread has definitely run some sort of course, and locking it might not be a bad idea, but I think innlady's post should be a sticky, if for no other reason than preventing 3 MORE threads about lido trays.:D

The thread has definitely run some sort of course, and locking it might not be a bad idea, but I think innlady's post should be a sticky, if for no other reason than preventing 3 MORE threads about lido trays.:D

Now that I totally agree about :)

Hello All, I have now read ALL 30 pages of this post. It took me 2 days!

I understand and respect HAL's decision to remove trays from general use - I am all for cutting down on waste. However, I do require a tray when I am in the Lido.

I will be travelling with my 7 year old daughter on the Westerdam in July. She is a fabulous traveller and is actually quite prim and proper throughout the lengthy dinners in the dining room. We plan on using the dining room for all of our dinners. However, I don't think her patience will allow me to use the dining room for all of our meals. So, we'll be in the Lido for breakfast and lunch.

Trust me, no one wants my 7 year old (who got the klutz gene from me) to carry a plate and a glass of juice through a crowded Lido. I am also not comfortable leaving her at a table alone, so she'll have to be with me anytime I get up to get us something. And now knowing the new policy, I am perfectly happy requesting a tray when I get to the Lido so that I can get my food and hers together.

So, my question to those who have gone on the trayless sailings, and have requested a tray - How easy was it for you to request a tray? Did it take a while to find someone to bring you one, or were they quickly accommodating? I appreciate the feedback (even if it does make the thread impossibly longer!).

If it is too difficult to request a tray, we'll likely be doing more room service. Which is fine too since my daughter is still fascinated with the idea that you can call in your order and they will bring it to your door! Oh, to be young and impressionable! :)

I understand and respect HAL's decision to remove trays from general use - I am all for cutting down on waste. However, I do require a tray when I am in the Lido.

I will be travelling with my 7 year old daughter on the Westerdam in July. She is a fabulous traveller and is actually quite prim and proper throughout the lengthy dinners in the dining room. We plan on using the dining room for all of our dinners. However, I don't think her patience will allow me to use the dining room for all of our meals. So, we'll be in the Lido for breakfast and lunch.

Trust me, no one wants my 7 year old (who got the klutz gene from me) to carry a plate and a glass of juice through a crowded Lido. I am also not comfortable leaving her at a table alone, so she'll have to be with me anytime I get up to get us something. And now knowing the new policy, I am perfectly happy requesting a tray when I get to the Lido so that I can get my food and hers together.

So, my question to those who have gone on the trayless sailings, and have requested a tray - How easy was it for you to request a tray? Did it take a while to find someone to bring you one, or were they quickly accommodating? I appreciate the feedback (even if it does make the thread impossibly longer!).

If it is too difficult to request a tray, we'll likely be doing more room service. Which is fine too since my daughter is still fascinated with the idea that you can call in your order and they will bring it to your door! Oh, to be young and impressionable! :)

I'm giving a pop quiz in the morning.

girls%20studying.jpg

Why? Oh never mind I know why. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's called "I'm taking my ball and going home if you won't play MY way."

:rolleyes:

There is absolutely no reason to lock this thread.

Those who don't want to read it don't have to. Look elsewhere for something that interests you.

Ah, very good post! And you bring up great points.

Those of us who don't travel with young children hadn't thought of such a need for a tray -- just as those who don't deal with mobility or disability issues don't understand that population's need.

I appreciate your input and rather than criticize or harass you for stating your need for a tray, I welcome your efforts to educate us!

Sometimes we are so attuned to what suits us, we neglect to see another's situation!

When I realized the first evening that there were no trays, I decided to order room service for the first morning. Then I kept that tray.

When I carried the room service tray to the Lido, the area supervisor (who was also the area supervisor at my dining table) noticed. He asked me if I wanted a regular tray, and he went and got it for me.

That way I didn't have to go out of my way in the Lido to get one. However, when I was in the Lido the first evening, and even the second morning, I did not notice a great many people I would have approached to request a tray. Of course, by then I wasn't looking too hard, either. I believe it's one of those things where one will need to go out of their way, at least a little bit, to get the necessary tray.

When I realized the first evening that there were no trays, I decided to order room service for the first morning. Then I kept that tray.

When I carried the room service tray to the Lido, the area supervisor (who was also the area supervisor at my dining table) noticed. He asked me if I wanted a regular tray, and he went and got it for me.

Ruth, it sounds as though the moral of your story is:

"If at first you don't succeed, tray, tray again". :D

Yeah, it's called "I'm taking my ball and going home if you won't play MY way."

:rolleyes:

There is absolutely no reason to lock this thread.

Those who don't want to read it don't have to. Look elsewhere for something that interests you.

Exactly....it is not mandatory to read any threads. Seems like some people think it is.

Ok, now THAT was funny!!!! :D:D:D

It was? :confused:

I didn't find her nasty digs at me (most of which have been removed) to be funny at all. Perhaps my sense of humor is a quart low. :rolleyes:

Archived