NCL Courtyard Villa Question (My 1st Cruise)

ken85121

We have been thinking about taking a cruise for years but never have. We want the Eastern Caribbean the week after Thanksgiving 2009. (15-year Anniversary) We have narrowed our choices down to NCL or Princess

One thing that is VERY appealing to me on NCL are the Courtyard Villas. The price is very high at the moment though - $6,000.

What is everyone's experience regarding the price shown on the website and the actual price you pay? I called NCL and was told the best price I could get the cabin for only $200 less than the price shown on the website.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

It is worth every one of the 6000.00

Mike

Yea, if you are a millionaire or something, I guess. Apparently there are not enough people with that kind of money, or they would be sold out and there are often cabins available.

The perks are nice, but compared to a room for $1500 it is hard to justify the extra money for most of us that don't make the kind of money Joe The Plumber makes. LOL

Hi we were upgraded,yes upgraded 2 weeks before our cruise on the pearl

oct of 2007.We had a mini suite and upgraded to a courtyard villa.It cost us 3400.00 for my husband,myself, my daughter and her friend.The best rooms on the ship.4 t.v.'s,butler,private pool,sun deck the works.worth

every penny.

Have fun

I can tell you it seems the price of the suites vary very little as you get closer to the cruise. Even when NCL has the great sales they have, rarely do suite prices go down. If they do, it is not by much. Yes, on rare occasion they will go down, but in the years we have been cruising we have never seen them go down much at all. In fact, we have usually seen suites do just the opposite and go up the closer you get to the cruise.

If money were no object and $6,000.00 was no big deal for you, then I think you would never regret having a C.V.. When my DDP and I go to book a cruise or vacation, we always look at it as "what would we want to do or where would we want to stay or which stateroom would we want to book" if money wasn't in the equation. Once we know at that point what we would choose, then we look at the vacation and see what parts of it we can afford and make adjustments from there. You might want to look at your question that way and see what you come up with.

For instance, in your question, we might be able to afford the C.V. with no problem, but we might not be able to eat in specialty restaurants like we want, or take excursions at every port, etc. We just see what will make the vacation the most special to us, and go for it..

Hope this helps some.. not for sure if I was going in the direction you wanted or not as far as an answer, so just giving my $.02.

We have been thinking about taking a cruise for years but never have. We want the Eastern Caribbean the week after Thanksgiving 2009. (15-year Anniversary) We have narrowed our choices down to NCL or Princess

One thing that is VERY appealing to me on NCL are the Courtyard Villas. The price is very high at the moment though - $6,000.

What is everyone's experience regarding the price shown on the website and the actual price you pay? I called NCL and was told the best price I could get the cabin for only $200 less than the price shown on the website.

I assume that $6K per person...that's a bit of change. I guess it depends on how you typically vacation. Considering that we spent $25K for a week in St. Barth's, that's not all that crazy, but just keep it in perspective. You only live once...live it to the fullest! You will never be on your death bed saying I wish we didn't do (fill in the blank), but you will always remember what you DID do and the memories you made.

You should be aware that the Courtyard Villas have the same cabin as the AB penthouse--identical--and fantastic--it is just that you have access to the courtyard for the additional charge...you would be VERY happy with an AB penthouse--2 bedrooms 2 baths--one bath fabulous--many pictures of the AB are available--look around this forum--and try http://www.beyondships.com. Have a wonderful cruise.

...You only live once...live it to the fullest! You will never be on your death bed saying I wish we didn't do (fill in the blank), but you will always remember what you DID do and the memories you made.

For many of us, if we did a few GV at $6,000, it would be our last cruise. And for some, it would mean eating beans and rice for many years.

We might be laying on our death bed saying " I wish I could have fed my honey real food before he died of starvation"

But, if they have booked an inside or OV, they might have gone on 5 more cruises, ate well, and when on their death bed said " I am sure glad we got to do more than one cruise, thanks honey"

I just don't get how living life to the fullest means blowing money needlessly?

We have done the courtyard villa and the AB penthouse (3x). The Courtyard was a delightful experience, but unless it was offered in a fantastic upsale, the AB is a luxurious experience in itself. With the exception of the upper floor, pool and sundeck, the perks are the same in each. Once was nice, but I can do an AB twice for the price.

Hi we were upgraded,yes upgraded 2 weeks before our cruise on the pearl

oct of 2007.We had a mini suite and upgraded to a courtyard villa.It cost us 3400.00 for my husband,myself, my daughter and her friend.The best rooms on the ship.4 t.v.'s,butler,private pool,sun deck the works.worth

every penny.

Have fun

So you were moved from a mini suite to a courtyard villa with no extra money out of your pocket? Wow that was your lucky day!

We have done the courtyard villa and the AB penthouse (3x). The Courtyard was a delightful experience, but unless it was offered in a fantastic upsale, the AB is a luxurious experience in itself. With the exception of the upper floor, pool and sundeck, the perks are the same in each. Once was nice, but I can do an AB twice for the price.

I totally agree. We can afford the courtyard if we really want to, but I can't justify the price difference - for us the "courtyard" part just wasn't worth the double price (we have done courtyard and not). The AB is a great cabin, just without the CY access. While we really can't justify the Garden Villa either, I definitely think the OS is usually worth the price on most ships. Priced just slightly above the A3, the cabin is remarkable, the balconies fantastic, and you get full courtyard access. We are actually in the process of making a decision right now between an AB, A3 or AA - and we have pretty much eliminated the A3. For us personally, the courtyard is only a place for a quiet hot tub, and we can do that with a weekly spa pass.

As for the OP's question, the higher level suites never seem to get much cheaper - we watch them constantly and usually book fairly last minute. In fact, we are looking at a sailing in January, and while the regular cabins are now dirt cheap, the suites have been holding their own for months - and are now proportionately overpriced. Especially in this economy, I think the courtyard is NCL's bread and butter. Those who can afford it often don't think twice about booking them. Those who are most affected by the economy are looking for a bargain on cheaper cabins or else will not cruise at all. It's in the basic cabins that NCL has to compete with most other cruiselines - the courtyard is a one-of-a-kind that sells itself.

Robin

For many of us, if we did a few GV at $6,000, it would be our last cruise. And for some, it would mean eating beans and rice for many years.

We might be laying on our death bed saying " I wish I could have fed my honey real food before he died of starvation"

But, if they have booked an inside or OV, they might have gone on 5 more cruises, ate well, and when on their death bed said " I am sure glad we got to do more than one cruise, thanks honey"

I just don't get how living life to the fullest means blowing money needlessly?

Just throwing my $.02 in, but I don't think the meaning was that only people spending $6,000 to stay in a C.V. are the ones living the life to the fulliest. I took the posting as meaning spending what money you do have on your life.. on memoriest, rather than hording the money like some people do. I didn't take it as a slam to those of us who can't afford a C.V.. 8-)

Yea, if you are a millionaire or something, I guess. Apparently there are not enough people with that kind of money, or they would be sold out and there are often cabins available.

The perks are nice, but compared to a room for $1500 it is hard to justify the extra money for most of us that don't make the kind of money Joe The Plumber makes. LOL

I usually agree with you, but from what I have heard there is nothing like the courtyard villas, service, state rooms, privacy, service and on and on. For me, like you, I don't think I could ever bring myself to paying that kind of money, but I would love to have that luxury and experience. As for Joe, I don't think he made that kind of money, but think he is now!!!lol

Nita

We stayed in an A3 Courtyard Villa on Pearl to Alaska and an AB on Dawn. Cabins are identical. We chose the Courtyard for Alaska to have access to the courtyard area and pool on a cool weather itinerary. My daughter enjoyed being able to swim in the indoor pool. It would be less of a priority for us on a warm weather itinerary, although we enjoyed breakfasts in the courtyard too.

I think that a Courtyard Villa would be a WONDERFULL, FABULOUS cabin for you and your spouse.

PLEASE e-mail me at: sjpolishprincess@aim.com

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Like I said, this is my first cruise (and it was my first board posting too). I just don't know what to expect on a cruise. I've been spoiled over the years with wonderful hotel rooms and timeshares. The thought of a 160sq ft cruise room seems a bit...depressing I guess so that is why I even started looking at the suites. However, I have NEVER spent $6000 for any room before. That is why I was hoping to find out if they ever go down in price.

There is lots to think about. Thanks again! :)

That's a great price! Take it!

I'm paying $12K for an AA suite plus my kids can't stay in it so I booked the room next door.

I wish the CV was that price...then I wouldn't need the extra room!

Hello FLGirl,

Consider booking the Garden Villa for your cruise. If you're booking a second cabin, you may be paying to much. You may not be aware that only the first TWO guests in the GV pay the "rack" rate (for example: $5000 ea) but the next four (or five) guests pay a nominal "food" charge (usually $199 - $499 ea). I've seen as low as 199 for a 7 day cruise, I recently paid $699 ea for four additional guests for a 20 day cruise. When you total all the fares, and average by 6 (or 7) total passengers, you will pay only slightly more than the balcony fare, per person. The GV is much more affordable than you may think (if you travel with three couples).

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Like I said, this is my first cruise (and it was my first board posting too). I just don't know what to expect on a cruise. I've been spoiled over the years with wonderful hotel rooms and timeshares. The thought of a 160sq ft cruise room seems a bit...depressing I guess so that is why I even started looking at the suites. However, I have NEVER spent $6000 for any room before. That is why I was hoping to find out if they ever go down in price.

There is lots to think about. Thanks again! :)

I've seen the Courtyard Villa (CV) go down 10 days before sailing. It usually doesn't however. The "upgrade fairy" has many factors to consider; revenue; customer goodwill; staff work loads.

I've personally seen the Garden Villa (GV) "upsold", when NCL had a group that had booked six balcony cabins. Three of those cabins were offered the upsell, for $1000 p/p, and they took it.

NCL does what reaps the most reward for the cruise line, and that's usually what will return the most revenue. After all, they need to make a profit. They're not REALLY a Fairy.

The three cabins mentioned above had already paid $2300 p/p for their original cabins (3 @ $4600 ea). Add $1000 p/p to make it $3300 p/p x six guests (since all were "two to a cabin") and NCL realized $19,800 in revenue for the GV suite. Plus it's easier for them to resell the balconies at $2300 p/p since they may have a wait list. If NCL'd sold the GV at the original "brochure rate" for that cruise, it would have been $9500 p/p for the first two ($19000) and $499 for the next four ($1996), so NCL got the GV sold at only a $1196 discount and resold the three balconies.

When the GV goes empty (and it does more than you might think) it's often used as an upgrade for a CV guest, a penthouse guest, one that has industry ties, or that is a "high tier" previous NCL cruiser (I think this is sad, because these upgrades usually go to a single cabin with only two guests, and they get a three bedroom GV, what a waste)

When it is left empty, NCL still wins something, they give tours for a few lucky guests (that's how I first saw learned of it) and NCL anticipates that some of them will book it for a later cruise (I have, three times).

The problem for me was finding four friends I enjoy that can; get away at the same time; that like the destinations I do; and that enjoy (or can tolerate) me.

Anyway, watch the CV prices 10-11 days before sailing. That's when the final price cuts are made. They only last a day or two. Nothing happens to pricing 5 days or less before sailing, they have already committed the cabin upgrades by then.

I will warn you.... The law of diminishing return says once you try a superior cabin (of any category) it's difficult to go back down in category, so don't "peak" too soon.

Several posters have mentioned you can take 6 "interior cabin" cruises for what the top cabin costs. This is true, and if your primary reason for cruising is for the ship to get you to the ports (to sight see, etc.), book conservative cabins, cruise more, see more. If you are booking for "the cruise" experience, (you want to feel like Royalty) book higher categories.

I still cruise in different categories for different purposes. My last cruise was 9 ports in 10 days. I booked a conservative cabin because I wouldn't be there much. In fact we only made it to two of the shows, in 10 days, because we were too tired after long port days.

The cruise before that was 19 days with only 7 ports. Lots of sea days. I booked the best cabin on the ship and enjoyed the Royal treatment.

I know i've rambled, but I'll close with "know what you hope to get from the cruise" and book a cabin that will let you realize your dream.

I've seen the Courtyard Villa (CV) go down 10 days before sailing. It usually doesn't however. The "upgrade fairy" has many factors to consider; revenue; customer goodwill; staff work loads.

I've personally seen the Garden Villa (GV) "upsold", when NCL had a group that had booked six balcony cabins. Three of those cabins were offered the upsell, for $1000 p/p, and they took it.

NCL does what reaps the most reward for the cruise line, and that's usually what will return the most revenue. After all, they need to make a profit. They're not REALLY a Fairy.

The three cabins mentioned above had already paid $2300 p/p for their original cabins (3 @ $4600 ea). Add $1000 p/p to make it $3300 p/p x six guests (since all were "two to a cabin") and NCL realized $19,800 in revenue for the GV suite. Plus it's easier for them to resell the balconies at $2300 p/p since they may have a wait list. If NCL'd sold the GV at the original "brochure rate" for that cruise, it would have been $9500 p/p for the first two ($19000) and $499 for the next four ($1996), so NCL got the GV sold at only a $1196 discount and resold the three balconies.

When the GV goes empty (and it does more than you might think) it's often used as an upgrade for a CV guest, a penthouse guest, one that has industry ties, or that is a "high tier" previous NCL cruiser (I think this is sad, because these upgrades usually go to a single cabin with only two guests, and they get a three bedroom GV, what a waste)

When it is left empty, NCL still wins something, they give tours for a few lucky guests (that's how I first saw learned of it) and NCL anticipates that some of them will book it for a later cruise (I have, three times).

The problem for me was finding four friends I enjoy that can; get away at the same time; that like the destinations I do; and that enjoy (or can tolerate) me.

Anyway, watch the CV prices 10-11 days before sailing. That's when the final price cuts are made. They only last a day or two. Nothing happens to pricing 5 days or less before sailing, they have already committed the cabin upgrades by then.

I will warn you.... The law of diminishing return says once you try a superior cabin (of any category) it's difficult to go back down in category, so don't "peak" too soon.

Several posters have mentioned you can take 6 "interior cabin" cruises for what the top cabin costs. This is true, and if your primary reason for cruising is for the ship to get you to the ports (to sight see, etc.), book conservative cabins, cruise more, see more. If you are booking for "the cruise" experience, (you want to feel like Royalty) book higher categories.

I still cruise in different categories for different purposes. My last cruise was 9 ports in 10 days. I booked a conservative cabin because I wouldn't be there much. In fact we only made it to two of the shows, in 10 days, because we were too tired after long port days.

The cruise before that was 19 days with only 7 ports. Lots of sea days. I booked the best cabin on the ship and enjoyed the Royal treatment.

I know i've rambled, but I'll close with "know what you hope to get from the cruise" and book a cabin that will let you realize your dream.

6 of us were in the GV on the Dawn in June. That was $24,000 for a week to Bermuba. When we returned to NYC we were asked if we wanted to go back for another week for $5,000 total for the 6 because it was not booked.

Hello FLGirl,

Consider booking the Garden Villa for your cruise. If you're booking a second cabin, you may be paying to much. You may not be aware that only the first TWO guests in the GV pay the "rack" rate (for example: $5000 ea) but the next four (or five) guests pay a nominal "food" charge (usually $199 - $499 ea). I've seen as low as 199 for a 7 day cruise, I recently paid $699 ea for four additional guests for a 20 day cruise. When you total all the fares, and average by 6 (or 7) total passengers, you will pay only slightly more than the balcony fare, per person. The GV is much more affordable than you may think (if you travel with three couples).

4 of us are going on the Gem Dec 13. We are the 3rd and 4th guest in the GV. The cost is $199 each. In june going on the Dawn GV and it is $499 ea. Guess time of year matters.

Hello FLGirl,

You know how much the GV is during the time I'm travelling? $27K for 2 people!!! I don't think I'll be considering it instead of my AA Suite!!! Although we are spending $12K + $1,700 for that extra room for the kids, we are also traveling with my in-law who have booked an AD Suite. There is no way the in-laws would want to be in a GV with us and give up their privacy (and peace). They will enjoy their own suite!

If the GV was considerably a lot less during our cruise, I think we'd take it LOL!!!!!

There is no way the in-laws would want to be in a GV with us and give up their privacy (and peace). They will enjoy their own suite!

The 2nd bedroom in the GV is like an AD suite with its own access whats to give up?

Aft facing, courtyard access, anything else?

The 2nd bedroom in the GV is like an AD suite with its own access whats to give up?

Aft facing, courtyard access, anything else?

I just checked out some pictures.....the second and third bedroom look as good as their AD suite. I wonder if they would take a room in it.

Well, anyway...the price is way too high! I've already spent a lot and it's paid for and even with all 3 rooms in the CV, it still doesn't equal the book rate they want it at!!!!

Archived