A little paranoid

Southernercruiser

I have to agree with the other posts - you can't let an event that happened halfway around the world scare you enough not to partake in something months after the fact! Enjoy yourself! Terrorists hope to generate fear and paranoia in societies....you don't want them to influence your life. Although I have to say if Capt. Jack Sparrow ever boards your boat you could be in for the ride of your life! Haha :)

Whats with all the pirate talk?.....

Pirates and Terrorists are 2 very different things. Pirates are in it for money, plain and simple.

Terrorists are in it for political or religious power. Please do not get the 2 confused.

Terrorists are all about affecting as many people at 1 time as possible, so, in all actuality, a cruise ship would be a good target for them, why do you think after 9/11 we now have the coast guard patroling around the harbor as well as divers (you may not see them but they are there) under the ship checking things out.

While i do understand how you guys are thinking, heck,i think the same way. Im not gonna let it bother me. The fact is these are very real things nowadays, and should be understood is all im saying.

Happy Cruising!

Terrorists could attack anywhere. If you let it worry you - you will never get out of bed.

This may sound trite but you have to die somewhere. I do hiking in places where there no medical support available so if I have a serious medical emergency, I will die. If I have a choice of dying in a really neat place or staying home and dying in bed, I will pick the neat place any time.

DON

Am I being too paranoid.

Yes. Im not crawling into a hole, however, I know that if there is trouble we may miss a port. Im supposed to go to Roatan in April and there is still a travel advisatory there. suggestions that Americans stay in their houses.

One of the first places that terrorists hit was a cruiseship. 20 years ago [or more] they took over a ship in the Med. They killed a Jewish American man. He was old and wheel chair bound. They shot him and dumped him over board. Today there is considerable security around cruise ships in American ports and I've seen police/army men with automatic weapons and dogs in foreign ports. CG patrols around ships in the US, keeping boaters away from the ships, and frogmen inspect the hulls.

Terrorists will hit anywhere and everywhere that security is less than vigilant. Until we wise up and kill ALL the terrorists.

Dan

One of the first places that terrorists hit was a cruiseship. 20 years ago [or more] they took over a ship in the Med. They killed a Jewish American man. He was old and wheel chair bound. They shot him and dumped him over board. Today there is considerable security around cruise ships in American ports and I've seen police/army men with automatic weapons and dogs in foreign ports. CG patrols around ships in the US, keeping boaters away from the ships, and frogmen inspect the hulls.

Terrorists will hit anywhere and everywhere that security is less than vigilant. Until we wise up and kill ALL the terrorists.

Dan

Amen, brother!

It would be virtually impossible to hijack a cruise ship...hundreds of crew and as many as a couple thousand passengers, forget it. I also think a cruise ship would be an unlikely target for something like a bomb...if a terrorist attack is meant to provoke fear and insecurity, taking down a cruise ship would effect a very small portion of the population, since relatively few people take cruises. I relate to where you're coming from, SouthernCruiser, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. This possibility has crossed my mind too, but it's never made me want to cruise less. Have a good time!

It would be virtually impossible to hijack a cruise ship...hundreds of crew and as many as a couple thousand passengers, forget it. I also think a cruise ship would be an unlikely target for something like a bomb...if a terrorist attack is meant to provoke fear and insecurity, taking down a cruise ship would effect a very small portion of the population, since relatively few people take cruises. I relate to where you're coming from, SouthernCruiser, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. This possibility has crossed my mind too, but it's never made me want to cruise less. Have a good time!

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history.do?action=Article&id=1149

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Klinghoffer

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-05-piratesattack_x.htm

Dan

I think I would cruise anywhere but off the coast of Somalia and Kenya.:(
And not many cruise ships do that route

for exactly that reason!

You're cool.

The chance of it happening is a lot less than one-tenth of 1%

(Unseen)Security is waaay tight these days

Whats with all the pirate talk?.....

Pirates and Terrorists are 2 very different things. Pirates are in it for money, plain and simple.

Terrorists are in it for political or religious power. Please do not get the 2 confused.

I'm fairly certain that we were more sarcastic than anything else :D....

When the terrorists attacked the Achille Lauro and murdered Leon Klinghoffer, security measures were virtually non-existant, by today's standards.

Actually, pirates (not terrorists) did attack a cruise ship off Somalia a couple of years ago. It was a Seaborn ship, the Spirit.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/11/05/somalia.pirates/index.html

Paul

And not many cruise ships do that route

for exactly that reason!

You're cool.

The chance of it happening is a lot less than one-tenth of 1%

(Unseen)Security is waaay tight these days

Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt

30th. November 2008

======================================

Two small skiffs pursued Oceania Cruises’ Nautica

and one fired eight rifle shots during the vessel’s transit of the Gulf of Aden this morning.

The ship took evasive action and no one aboard was harmed, with no damage sustained, according to the company.

‘Eight shots were fired and none hit the ship.

The closest the pirates ever got to the vessel was 300 meters,’ Oceania president Bob Binder told Seatrade Insider.

Nautica was sailing within the prescribed Maritime Safety Protection Area which is patrolled by international anti-piracy task forces.

As the vessel passed several groups of fishing vessels,

two small skiffs were sighted by the officer on duty and deemed potentially hostile.

The skiffs, approaching from a range of approximately 1,000 meters, attempted to intercept the vessel’s course.

Capt. Jurica Brajcic and his officers began evasive maneuvers, bringing Nautica to flank speed and outrunning the skiffs.

Binder said the incident began at 0528 GMT (9:28 a.m.) and all written reports to the requisite authorities were filed by 0543 GMT.

‘The entire incident was five to seven minutes because in 15 minutes, reports were filed so it was very brief,’ he told Seatrade Insider.

The Maritime Safety Protection Area is eight miles wide and 550 miles long.

‘When the incident occurred, we were offshore by quite a distance,’ Binder said.

Some of the passengers were aware that something was happening, he told Seatrade Insider.

‘All the ship’s officers acted according to their piracy protection training and that worked perfectly.

There were no injuries to guests or crew,’ Binder said.

Nautica is proceeding to its next port of call, Salalah, Oman,

and is due to arrive on Monday as scheduled.

Last April, pirates off the coast of Somalia seized control of French sail-cruiser Le Ponant,

which was deadheading from the Seychelles to the Mediterranean. The 22 crew were ultimately released, unharmed.

In 2005, Seabourn Spirit sustained shots from pirates in two small vessels off the Somali coast.

The ship undertook evasive action, and there were no injuries.

Terrorists are all about affecting as many people at 1 time as possible, so, in all actuality, a cruise ship would be a good target for them, why do you think after 9/11 we now have the coast guard patroling around the harbor as well as divers (you may not see them but they are there) under the ship checking things out.

um, not true at all. the coast guard, navy and the divers have always been out protecting the port, not just since 9/11. it's just been more apparent to the civilians now because of 9/11. people are a little more aware of their surroundings, where as before, you might have noticed, the coast guard, navy and divers, but never thought much of it. 9/11 is not the root cause of why everything that you are now noticing is happening, because it always has been.

also not true. look at the USS Cole. that has the best security in the world. a couple hundred crew onboard trained in the best of security, and yet, they were bombed in a port. hijaking a cruise ship is probably one of the easiest things to do. i highly doubt that the crew gets as much and detailed security training as the military does.

Archived