NCL getting rid of laundry rooms...

Luv4dacruise

Believe me.. my thoughts are.. if James says it.. it's the truth and will happen. He has always given me great advise and info.

I do think it sucks that the laundry facility is being removed because I know a lot of people, well, especially families, use that and it is a lot more cost effective than getting the laundry done by the ship. Although, I have to say.. I have found their prices for laundry to be very reasonable compared to some hotels we have stayed in.

Also, for those of you worrying about the iron... it is really worth it to get your own little travel steamer. I am sure they have them at places like Walmart or Target, etc. I can't remember where we got ours, but it wasn't expensive and it wasn't hard to find and it takes up hardly any room in the suitcase.

I did call NCL and asked if it was true... Im sure they have gotten or will be getting lots of calls.

The agent told me that it was not true or at least she had not heard anything about it. I asked her if she could please make sure because I had heard they would be taking out the laundry room on the Pearl very soon and the Dawn shortly after. She put me on hold and when she came back she said her supervisor said they have no knowledge of the laundry rooms being removed. hmmmmm I dont think I believe her.

I don't think its a good idea. With the airlines charging for luggage, and people trying to pack lighter, the laundry was a good way to save on that second piece of luggage.

To me it just means i will have to re-wear clothes and will be more rumpled up because I won't be paying for a second suitcase and I certainly won't pay someone to do my laundry. It also means more casual clothes and certainly no tux or suits.

I'm not sure why NCL would take away the laundry rooms. I've never used them and don't think I ever would (just because I don't like doing laundry on vacation) but it seems like a lot of people here not only use them but choose their cruises based on whether or not a ship has a laundry room. I get how NCL thinks they could convert the laundry rooms to guest rooms and generate revenue, but would it really cancel out the the losses they'll receive if/when people don't book because NCL took out the laundry rooms? I'm terrible with numbers so maybe this is a good financial decision for them, but if this rumor does turn out to be true I hope they don't end up regretting their decision.

I have never done laundry in the available cruise ship rooms. I guess I am the only one who gets into the shower with my bathing suit or sweaty dancing clothes! The sink can fill up too...just bring a little liquid woolite...that string thing is right there in the shower to hang things up.

Knowing that irons were available in the laundry rooms always scared me. Who watched to make sure a passenger turned it off before leaving? Maybe the change is more of a safety issue?

If true, I do feel bad for those who relied on the machines during their cruise.

coka

I feel I gave TMI in my last post but too late to edit. Oh well, I just gave you another good reason to wash the sink when you first arrive on board...but if you have read my reviews, I wash down the place before I leave...

coka

I have used the laundry room on a few cruises, usually the longer ones. However, If I was travelling with small children, I can imagine that I would find it a necessity. We are heading to Alaska on the Pearl in July with grandchildren and I am sure since we hve to fly coast to coast, the laundry room will surely be missed. I also have used the dryers to freshen up items from packing. Bummer!!!

On our two week Dawn repo last year for our honeymoon the airline misplaced my DW's luggage and so she had to take with her only what she could buy in NYC before we sailed that day.... needless to say the laundry room came in handy when you only have one pair of underwear!!

Thankfully her luggage made it to us part way through the trip!

I really don't think this will take away bookings from NCL. Yes maybe a few cruise critic people but not every passenger comes here and they rooms were never advertised by ncl. They are not even on the ships deck plans so I think a large majority of the passengers does not even know about them.

I'm not sure why NCL would take away the laundry rooms. I've never used them and don't think I ever would (just because I don't like doing laundry on vacation) but it seems like a lot of people here not only use them but choose their cruises based on whether or not a ship has a laundry room. I get how NCL thinks they could convert the laundry rooms to guest rooms and generate revenue, but would it really cancel out the the losses they'll receive if/when people don't book because NCL took out the laundry rooms? I'm terrible with numbers so maybe this is a good financial decision for them, but if this rumor does turn out to be true I hope they don't end up regretting their decision.

NCL is looking to increase revenue in every way they can.

Converting the Laundry rooms to cabins or more spacious existing cabins would do so, as would the additional revenue through the use of on-board Laundry services.

Though I didn't use either the Room or the on-board Service, the $15 of a bag of unfolded Laundry didn't seem like a bad deal... But free is a better deal than $15...

Nancy

Since NCL is Freestyle Cruising and they are taking away the laundry machines; then I am free to wear the same clothes all week!

That way the last night of the cruise will not be formal night in the dining room, it will be fumigate night! :D:eek:

I was once foolish enough on a cruise to say something to my wife like "maybe we should go to the laundry room and clean some clothes". When I regained consciousness I realized I had made a mistake!

LOL.. I needed that laugh.. Thanks for posting that. That is exactly what would happen if my DDP asked me to cook while on vacation. LOL

We did the laundry bag offer on the Dawn & 3 times on our 14 day on the Majesty. Amazing how much you can put in the bag. We received our clothes back within 1-2 days and it was neatly folded and some were even on hangers and pressed even though we asked just for folded.

Was a great deal and we went home with very little to wash. Will do it again.

Archived