NCL getting rid of laundry rooms...

Luv4dacruise

I have never used the laundry bag offer, can someone please describe when they return the laundry and is it wrinkled or usable?

I have used it mostly every trip. The laundry comes back a day later in perfect condition. Either folder and ironed or on hangers as your choice at $15 or $20 its great bargain per bag(I fill the bag up). going home with clear clothes is worth the money.

Since NCL is Freestyle Cruising and they are taking away the laundry machines; then I am free to wear the same clothes all week!

That way the last night of the cruise will not be formal night in the dining room, it will be fumigate night! :D:eek:

Looks like our Group shirts will be getting more use then expected!:eek:;)

We always pack light and do laundry once during a cruise. IF they take out the laundry rooms we will cancel our cruise.

Another trhead , which was a review of the Thanksgiving Pearl trip, said that the laundry rooms were gone on the Pearl but that you can borrow an iron. Don't cancel your trip! Just pack a few extra tidy-whities and shirts!

We have been on other cruise lines with no laundry and 3 BABIES!! And then they became Toddlers, and still we cruised! Now that they are 7 they don't spill as much...but there is the matter of DDW...

The clothes in the bag is great- everyting is really nice and not wrinkled. And you don't have to time a washer!

Mike

Pearl for New Years thsi Year!

Although the Pearl is nearly identical to the Gem, there are some differences. One that caught our eye right away is the disappearance of laundry rooms onboard. During the meet and greet and the subsequent Latitudes party, the Pearl's hotel manager said the laundry rooms were being replaced with staterooms fleetwide. However, he said guests could check out an iron and ironing board for short-term use.

Reporter Jen, Live from the Pearl

Sorry, I quoted the wrong thread before.

DDW really wants the laundry room, however!

The laundry special they have is well worth the money. You would not believe what you could fit in the bag. We sent ours out on the Dawn for wash & fold only and the next night we had it back the next night folded & on hangers. Same thing on the Majesty except it took 2 days to get back except for the last day it came back the next night. It really is worth the $15.99 we paid.

If I had known that the Pearl did not have a laundry room for "guest" use, I wouldn't have booked the cruise.

I always do laundry on land-based and cruise vacations. I prefer doing my own things and like knowing that, if needed, a laundry room was available.

What a gross job that is that someone has to wash someone else's dirty underwear. Talk about a person who deserves to be tipped - and probably doesn't.

I'm sure it won't be long before Carnival follows suit, since cruiselines are becoming like all other businesses -copying each other until we have numerous businesses that all sell the same few things - but I'll stick with the one who held out the longest.

they will put a card in your cabin, and/or in the dailies, saying what day(s) the laundry special is. Just fill up the bag they give you with your dirty stuff and it will come back to you clean and pressed the next day.

I took advantage of it last cruise on the Sun when they confiscated my iron, and of course i didn't bother ironing before we left because i figured i'd just do it on the ship. (didnt' know i could request iron at that time..) So DH and i sent out several pieces that weren't dirty, but needed pressing. Regardless, it was well worth the $15-20 to have clothes that didn't look like i slept in them for 2 weeks.

LOL.. I had to come on here and tell you all something that happened yesterday when my DDP Doug came home from work..LOL..

We always take a minute when he gets home to go out on our patio and have a smoke and talk about our day. (Even in 32 degree weather.. lol).. Anyway.. since I have not been working since Aug 1st, telling him about my day is pretty quick..So I was telling him about this thread and about how people should never doubt what James says, etc.. Then I told him it is kind of sad that they took away the laundry rooms because on our two week cruise we have booked next year, I thought I might do some laundry half way through, etc. Before I got that out of my mouth, he was laughing so hard he had tears running down his face. I said.. "whats so funny". He told me "please... you know as well as I do you would be sending that laundry out , not doing it yourself". It may have been one of those things that you had to have been there to see why it was so funny. But I do love it that he knows me so well. LOL

I did laundry on a cruise once - never again! I wasted vacation time on checking to see when it was done, etc. Convinced DH to send out laundry mid-week on one of the stuff the bag specials for $25 (Celebrity last year), and I will not hesitate to send out laundry again. Celebrity and RCCL don't have self-serve laundry facilities on board except for crew. The $25 was money well-spent in my book.

Hi all, we are rather new to cruising, but were planning on doind a little laundry because we only want to bring carry-on luggage. What is the laundry special you are referring to? Is this something they tell you about up front? We are on the Jade.

It's usually done at least once on a one-week cruise. As mentioned in other posts, they leave a big paper bag on you bed with the offer. On our cruise some of our friends got 40 items or more in the bag.

I have replaced over the past few years most of the clothing that requires either dry cleaning or pressing. I now have clothing that are both light and dries quickly so I can easily wash them in the sink and have them dry in a matter of hours and look nice without ironing. I generally wash before retiring and by morning they are dry. I usually wash item by item so I don’t have any accumulation. My favorite brand of clothing is Ex Officio, but there are many brands on the market.

If you decide to wash clothing in the sink here are a few of suggestions. As for soap I use Campsuds. It does the job and pretty cheap and easy to find. I find inflatable hangers are handy. These hangers allow greater air circulation and faster drying of shirts. I bought mine at a local luggage store but you can get them from Amazon as well. I also take a few clothespins for hanging socks and underwear. After washing I place the wet clothing on a towel and roll up the clothing in the towel. This transfer most of the water to the towel.

Yes I know we are on vacation but I don’t mind this small chore. Replacing my old heavy, high maintenance clothing also has the advantage of taking less. I still have some dress clothes that require cleaning but it is very little now.

Shak

If you roll your clothes tightly and stuff undies in the small places, you can get a lot in those paper bags!

Hmm... I wonder if you could roll the clothes up in one of those compressed air bags so you could get even more in them? :rolleyes::D

We love having a laundry room. We were upset on our recent RCCL cruise because there was no laundry room. We only use it once during our cruise, but it sure is convenient on NCL and Carnival. DH is fed up with sailing RCCL. Please don't tell me NCL is doing away with movie theaters and laundry rooms too. Don't tell me we will have to cruise Princess or Carnival or overpack so we don't do laundry.

Before our cruise last summer, I read quite a bit about the bag laundry special. But some people didn't get their stuff back until the night before the cruise ends. They said they sent it out Wed morning and didn't get it back until Friday night.

So, it's not always the next day. Just wanted people to be aware :)

Before our cruise last summer, I read quite a bit about the bag laundry special. But some people didn't get their stuff back until the night before the cruise ends. They said they sent it out Wed morning and didn't get it back until Friday night.

So, it's not always the next day. Just wanted people to be aware :)

You are correct about this. In fact, on the Pearl last Oct, that is what I remember about the laundry special as well. That it was like mid cruise, but they said it would not be delivered until the last day.

I think the laundry special thingie really is only beneficial if you are on an "extended" cruise and it is offered a couple of times during the cruise. I say it is only beneficial meaning if you wait for the special to replenish clothes to use during the cruise, not just to have fresh clean clothes to pack.

Let me say this though. People get really hung up in the laundry bag special, and it is a good deal, but its not THAT much of a better deal than sending your stuff out through the regular laundry service. On the Star the first time we were onboard her I did the laundry bag special. I crammed it as full of socks, underwear, jeans, shirts, etc, as I could cram it...charge $20.00. The second time on the Star I just sent the same size back out for regular laundry and again, it was stuffed just as full but this time no underwear or socks, just full of jeans and shirts..like five days worth because we had spent four days in Seattle before we boarded the ship and this was the first full day of the cruise....charge..$26.00. So if it is important to get your laundry back to use before the end of the cruise, it doesn't cost you that much more to do the regular laundry than waiting around for the special.

when we were on the Sun this summer, on the first night, i had just one dress to be pressed and they said for just one item they wouldn't even bother to charge me (we were in an AD, though- maybe that didn't hurt). it was the most perfect iron job in the history of humanity. we also used the bag special, and one of my son's shirts was not spot -treated and the stain was set. wasn't that big of a deal to me, just an old golf shirt, but if you have a really precious item you might want to treat a spot yourself with a stain pen or write a note on the "tag" thing.

when we were on the Sun this summer, on the first night, i had just one dress to be pressed and they said for just one item they wouldn't even bother to charge me (we were in an AD, though- maybe that didn't hurt). it was the most perfect iron job in the history of humanity. we also used the bag special, and one of my son's shirts was not spot -treated and the stain was set. wasn't that big of a deal to me, just an old golf shirt, but if you have a really precious item you might want to treat a spot yourself with a stain pen or write a note on the "tag" thing.

Thank you for sharing that. I am always so "proud" of the items we take with us.. thinking I have 'learned it all" over the years.. and I never thought to take a stain pen with us. You can bet I will going forward. Great tip. Thanks again for sharing it

On our two week Dawn repo last year for our honeymoon the airline misplaced my DW's luggage and so she had to take with her only what she could buy in NYC before we sailed that day.... needless to say the laundry room came in handy when you only have one pair of underwear!!

Thankfully her luggage made it to us part way through the trip!

Hi Ryan!

Now you guys are packing for 3:D

Have fun on the Spirit! Join us in the Fall

Jim&Judi

Its ludicrous for them to think of getting rid of the laundry rooms at a time when the airlines are charging for baggage and people are packing less. Yes, I do some laundry while on a cruise because I not only cruise but do some land vacation at the same time and I only pack 1 medium suitcase due to airline restrictions on size and pounds of bags and I don't believe in throwing more money towards bringing another bag with me for $25-$50 one way.

I find it funny for those who say they won't do laundry on their vacation but they handwash in the bathroom - isn't that doing laundry and handwashing to me is more work than throwing the clothes in the washer.

Archived