NCL getting rid of laundry rooms...

Luv4dacruise

I did call NCL and asked if it was true... Im sure they have gotten or will be getting lots of calls.

The agent told me that it was not true or at least she had not heard anything about it. I asked her if she could please make sure because I had heard they would be taking out the laundry room on the Pearl very soon and the Dawn shortly after. She put me on hold and when she came back she said her supervisor said they have no knowledge of the laundry rooms being removed. hmmmmm I dont think I believe her.

And we all know who that goes. It seems that the home office is always the last to know. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Well, we were having dinner with him - and his assistant, Joel..(and 2 other couples) and we were talking about Cruise Critics board - since Pedro was also at our meet & greet earlier in the week. I mentioned your name...and said that you give a lot of great information from crew perspective and wish there were more crew that posted on here. Pedro said he met with you when you were on the Dawn a few weeks ago - also said that you gave him application and that you were interested in working on the Dawn. I said that would be great! And he said that he 'moved it along'.... <shruggin> no further details about that, I'm afraid. I said I'd tell you Hi from him when I got back and posting on the boards, and he said please do! :)

I then chatted with Pedro & Joel about my previous Dawn cruises, and that I remembered Joel from Bingo...and Marco... and that was about it.

It was a lot of fun, Pedro loves to be funny... LOL He will be back on the Dawn sometime end of January.

I mentioned your name...and said that you give a lot of great information from crew perspective and wish there were more crew that posted on here. Pedro said he met with you when you were on the Dawn a few weeks ago

Thanks! I'll shoot him a email and let him know you passed the message on!

Has it been said anywhere when this is going to happen? We'll be on the Jewel in March and with it being a 9-night cruise had planned to do laundry midway to avoid extra luggage charges.

Based on posts here recently, both the Dawn and Pearl have already been converted.

Knowing that irons were available in the laundry rooms always scared me. Who watched to make sure a passenger turned it off before leaving? Maybe the change is more of a safety issue?

You had no need to be fearful at all. The irons have timers on them and you can't iron for more than 5 or 10 mins at a time without re-setting the timer. It was kind of irritating when you had to keep re-setting the timer and sometimes ironing without realising that the iron had shut off on its own.

Yes maybe a few cruise critic people but not every passenger comes here and they rooms were never advertised by ncl. They are not even on the ships deck plans so I think a large majority of the passengers does not even know about them.

Do you really think only Cruise Critic readers know about the laundry rooms? I think not. Only about 1% of cruisers are CC readers. There are many repeat passengers and they are the ones who know all about the ships. LOL

Or is it ludicrous for airlines to start charging for bags at a time when cruise lines are taking out laundry rooms...;)

Yeah well, NCL is the only one removing the laundry ones as Princess and Carnival still have them and they always have since I started cruising in the early 90's.

The only difference was NCL was free while you pay $1 per machine on Princess and $2 per machine on Carnival.

Anyone off the Jewel recently? We went on the Jewel last January-Feb and used the self serve laundry on 5. We are leaving again on Jan 18th and want to pack light and use the laundry once during the 2 weeks. Sure would save on packing. Does anyone know if the Jewel still has it's laundry?

Yeah well, NCL is the only one removing the laundry ones as Princess and Carnival still have them and they always have since I started cruising in the early 90's.

The only difference was NCL was free while you pay $1 per machine on Princess and $2 per machine on Carnival.

I was disapointed that the HAL vista class ships did not have them. The older ships DID, of course, for all I know they have been removed on them as it has been almost 8 years since I was on the Statendam.

My point-other lines are removing the laundry rooms also.

My point-other lines are removing the laundry rooms also.

Yep, it seems that some who say 'I won't sail them again because of that' just might run out of lines to float ;) (ditto for auto tipping, spec dining charges, strict enforcement of refund policies etc etc etc)

and no laundry rooms. We were told the illness the cruise prior to us was waterborne so they closed it til they could be 100% sure it was clean.

But they did our laundry for FREE. We had brought 5 days of clothes each so we used 1 suitcase and just paid the arline for it. Tide & dryer sheets were in a Zip Loc bag.

Anyone off the Jewel recently? We went on the Jewel last January-Feb and used the self serve laundry on 5. We are leaving again on Jan 18th and want to pack light and use the laundry once during the 2 weeks. Sure would save on packing. Does anyone know if the Jewel still has it's laundry?

Yep, it seems that some who say 'I won't sail them again because of that' just might run out of lines to float ;) (ditto for auto tipping, spec dining charges, strict enforcement of refund policies etc etc etc)

Monte.. in my opinion, there is very little brand loyality any more anyway. Even with my DDP and I, as much as we love NCL and have only sailed NCL as of late, if another cruise line we were interested in could match the deals we get with NCL we wouldn't hesitate to try them (and I consider us to be fairly brand loyal..lol). The reason I am saying this is when people come on the boards and say "I will never sail NCL again because NCL did this or that", I just move on to the next posting. 1. Eventually they will run out of cruiselines and 2. I think most of the time they are hoping NCL is reading their posting and will make a policy change because of all the massive loss of pax their new policy or new decision has cost them. What most fail to realize is NCL is also privy to how many new pax they get every day, and how many of us do return. So, when people come on here and make those statements, it means nothing to me. Honestly, when they go to book their next cruise, they will go where their pocket book leads them anyway.

That doesn't mean I don't have sympathy for those who planned their sailings thinking they were going to have laundry facilities to use. I do. I can see how, especially for a family with small kids, that could really be a life saver. Just making a comment.

If I had not seen it, I would not believe people would actually cancel a cruise or refuse to book one, solely because they can not do their own laundry.

Whether or not the airlines do cancel the baggage charge (which only some of them have), the simple facts remain that an extra suitcase and one or two uses of the ship laundry are almost surely going to cost LESS than the money saved by eliminating the fuel surcharge. As a percentage of the entire cost of the vacation, it would seem to be pretty darn insignificant.

If I had not seen it, I would not believe people would actually cancel a cruise or refuse to book one, solely because they can not do their own laundry.

Whether or not the airlines do cancel the baggage charge (which only some of them have), the simple facts remain that an extra suitcase and one or two uses of the ship laundry are almost surely going to cost LESS than the money saved by eliminating the fuel surcharge. As a percentage of the entire cost of the vacation, it would seem to be pretty darn insignificant.

Thank you!!!

So is it official are they taking them all out?

What do you require for 'official'?

If it's a release from NCL that they're doing it, you probably won't see it. If it's word from cruisers that they've been removed, we're seeing that.

What do you require for 'official'?

If it's a release from NCL that they're doing it, you probably won't see it. If it's word from cruisers that they've been removed, we're seeing that.

I was thinking maybe ncl would make it official. I'm still hoping that they dont do it as were going on the Pearl in May and wouldnt want to pack so much clothes since were doing a b2b. Id rather pay to use the machines than have them removed completely.

I was thinking maybe ncl would make it official. I'm still hoping that they dont do it as were going on the Pearl in May and wouldnt want to pack so much clothes since were doing a b2b. Id rather pay to use the machines than have them removed completely.

Sorry the Pearls laundry rooms have already been removed.

Archived