Help for pre cruise hotel San Diego.

Travelbug 2

I need some help deciding on a San Diego hotel pre cruise. There are two Holiday Inn's---- The "Holiday Inn on the Bay" is the one opposite the cruise-ship pier. It has the English pub called the Elephant and Castle. The other one is the "Holiday Inn Bay-side"and it is about 4 miles farther down the bay away from the city. The "On the Bay" is about $40 a night more ($70 more for a bay view room) than the "Bay-side". As my DW uses a walker to get around we will be taking the shuttle from either one to the ship.

Has anyone stayed at one or both of these and would it be worth the difference to stay at the one opposite the pier? ( $40-$70 would buy 2 or 3 bottles of wine!!! ).

Any comment would be appreciated. Last time we were in San Diego we stayed at the Hampton Inn, nice hotel but no restaurant.

Cheers,

Bert.

Check out the reviews (and prices) on the travel sights - hotels.com, priceline etc. We got 2 rooms for 3 nights at the Omni (DH wanted 4* for that amount of time) for $92/night offer. Not too shabby right before Christmas. I think I read some construction was going on in one of these Holiday Inns but it may be finished by now.

We have stayed at the HI On-the-Bay and I recommend it. No need for a shuttle as it is literally across the street. You could take your luggage over, then return to the hotel to help your DH across. The bayview rooms are nice because you can get up early and watch your ship come in.

We have stayed at both Holiday Inn's. We use the HI on the Bay for cruises and the Holiday Inn Bayside for flying out of SD. Both are nice hotels but I would pay the extra and stay at the HI on the Bay with the bay view so you can see the ship arrive in the morning.

I would also recommend you use the shuttle service they offer. We had our luggage picked up in the room about 1145 and were across the street in less than 15 minutes. The shuttle drops you off right in front of the baggage drop and we walked right into the check-in line.

We were on the ship by 1215. A very smooth check-in process. We also parked our car at the hotel so when we returned, I walked across the street, drove the car back to the pier and loaded up - we were headed home in less than 15 minutes from disembarking the ship.

We always stay at the HI on the Bay across from the cruise terminal. It is so easy to just cross the street with our luggage. The prices are reasonable and the hotel itself is satisfactory for a short stay.

One of our great joys is getting up early and watching " our ship come in".

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay and watched our ship come in. The employees were very accomodating and the food/drinks were good. You can either take the complimentary shuttle or walk across the street. I would definitely stay there again.

Bert:

Another option that may be cheaper is the Best Western Bayside Inn. It's about 6 blocks from the pier on W. Ash Street, and provides FREE shuttle service to/from the airport AND the pier. It's also 1.5 blocks from the Rite Aid drug store if you want to pick up any toiletries or wine.

For us its a no brainer. Go "on the bay" nice facility, close to airport, across the street from cruise terminal. Besides the English Pub there's also a Ruth's Chris on property and the wonderful Anthony's star of the sea room across the street. And of course, as has been mentioned, watching "your ship come in"

I have stayed at both, and much prefer the "On the Bay" across the street from the pier.

Bayside was far removed from anything, so there was pretty much nothing to do. I don't know what's there now, but at the time there was a family-style restaurant next door, with poor food selections. There was no other place to eat nearby.

If it were my choice, I would stay at "On the Bay" over "Bayside".

Holiday Inn on the Bay was a great location and even better if you get a bay view. I really felt our vacation had begun when I stepped out on the balcony. The sunsets the night before can be incredible and I watched our ship enter port over a cup of coffee in the morning.

Both of these shots were taken from our room.

th_BalconySunset.jpg

Here comes our home for the next 16 days

th_ApproachingDock.jpg

I try to stay at hotels that are in the Hilton Honors system. There's a Hampton Inn on the Pacific Hwy. that's wonderful, and within walking distance of the cruise terminal. I woke up the morning of my cruise and saw the Oosterdam and Elation right outside my window. I had one suitcase and a carry-on, and didn't need to use the hotel's shuttle. They also offer shuttle service to and from the airport.

Roz

We stay at the Hampton which is a nice hotel with lovely included breakfast. You are near the port and we often walk down early in the morning to see the ship. They offer a courtesy shuttle. It is also just down the hill from "Little Italy" where you find great restaurants.

Archived