revised dress code.

joeyancho

We will be sailing on the Triumph March 22, 2009 cruise. I have always brought my tux for formal night. Has the new dress code had an effect on the number of men wearing tuxs on formal night. I like to put it on but I don't want to be the only guy wearing one. Thanks for your input.

We will be sailing on the Triumph March 22, 2009 cruise. I have always brought my tux for formal night. Has the new dress code had an effect on the number of men wearing tuxs on formal night. I like to put it on but I don't want to be the only guy wearing one. Thanks for your input.

I think a man is very handsome in a tux, but my DH does not own one and just wears a dark suit. We have been married 55.5 years and I still think he is handsome in anything he wears! ;) Even nothing at all! :eek:

Luv's Crusin'

Just returned from Freedom. Many well dressed people. Most wore formals, suites & tux. Name may have changed but tradition remains.

.....I'm going on the Miracle 12.07.08 for my birthday cruise with my 11 yo son. I ordered black tuxedoes and white dinner jackets for the cruise. We can't wait to put them on. He hates getting dressed up but he wants to wear a tuxedo. I can't wait either.

:D

wasiii

Just off the the truimph Nov 30th , My dh wore a tux and i seen many guys also wearing them, I also saw alot wearing suits. So wear what you like but like others said a man in a tux always turns heads. They look so nice.

Just off the Valor, and there were still quite a few tuxes, particularly on the Captains Evening (first elegant night). I wore a tux the first elegant night, and tux with White Dinner jacket the 2nd, and never felt out of place at all.

Based on what I saw last summer on the Legend, there are not a lot of tuxes being worn on elegant nights, and a lot more men in just shirts and ties,

Just returned from the Nov 30th Freedom Cruise. First formal/elegant night most folks followed the dress code, Tuxes or suits for the men and cocktail/gowns for the ladies. Second elegant was far more casual.

Just returned from the Nov 30th Freedom Cruise. First formal/elegant night most folks followed the dress code, Tuxes or suits for the men and cocktail/gowns for the ladies. Second elegant was far more casual.

Does the formal/elegant night dress code still requie "Tuxes or suits for the men and cocktail/gowns for the ladies"?

Just returned from Freedom. Many well dressed people. Most wore formals, suites & tux. Name may have changed but tradition remains.

I'm glad to hear that. I'm going to be on the Freedom end of this month & really want my husband (& one son if I can get him to agree since he owns a tux too) to wear a tuxes. They're all wearing suits & ties whether they like it or not - lol - No options there!

While I can appreciate people feeling that they want to wear what they want, personally speaking it just makes the cruise seem that much more special to have a really formal night. Recently, I went on an Alaska cruise with my friend & we wore dressy dresses for formal night, but a notch down from what we would have worn if with our husbands. It made formal night seem like just any other night but just a bit better dressed.

I'm not sure I understand why people are concerned as to whether "elegant night" has resulted in any change in how people dress.

And I don't imagine there is anyone out there keeping any statistics on the matter.

Asking here will NOT give you any sort of "real" answer to your question, since the folks that post hardly are representative of all cruisers and although they have very strong opinions (some will insist that everyone/no one was dressed up or down), no one here sees every diner in each dinner sitting on every night!

They're all extremely subjective views.

I will continue to dress as I've always dressed for dinner on cruises - dresses or nice slacks/top for "regular" nights and cocktail/party clothes for formal/elegant nights.

Don't concern yourself with what other people may or may not wear. Wear what YOU want to wear and what you enjoy wearing!

The way I see it is you cannot overdress for dinner on a cruise, even if it's "just" a 3-night Bahama "party" cruise.

Being the best-dressed man in the room can never be a bad thing, can it? IMHO, all men look good in a tux.

Wear it!

Based on our experience of the past 10 years, it seems to depend on the length of the cruise and the port you sail from ... as to how many tuxes you will see.

We just sailed on the Splendor and the Freedom. Of course the 2 day had almost no tuxes because we did not have an elegant night. The 4 days had many. The 8 day on the Freedom was loaded with tuxes and they looked very nice.

The New Orleans port does not currently have any 7 days cruises (which will change when the Triumph comes..woo hoo)....and we have found that there were very few tuxes on our 4 day in October.

We are doing a 4 day and a 5 day next month on the Fantasy...we will see if that seems to stay the same.

Just off Elation 5 night cruise, i was suprised to see a few men in Tux's, usually on the shorter cruises everyone is a bit more casual.

The women all were dressed the same as usual with cocktail dresses, formals ect... The only difference i did notice is that some men either had a suite on with no tie (relaxed looking) or a dress shirt, tie but no jacket.

It made me think that the new "elegant" dress code was exactly the same as before and people are still dressing they way they always have.

I think a man is very handsome in a tux' date=' but my DH does not own one and just wears a dark suit. We have been married 55.5 years and I still think he is handsome in anything he wears! ;) Even nothing at all! :eek:

Luv's Crusin'[/quote']

Now why did that bring a tear to my eye . . . :rolleyes:

Interesting, because the suggested dress for men is a shirt and tie, with a sport coat recommended, but not required. So you are saying that most over dressed, . . . very interesting.

No...but still recommended

No it is not. Don't see anywhere in the following recommending suits or tuxes for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Archived