revised dress code.

joeyancho

All I know is on all of our cruises so far, you see most men in a tux or suit/jacket and tie. Even our last cruise a month ago, there were still plenty in both. You definitely don't see as many ball gowns, but you still see plenty of very dressed up ladies also. Our upcoming Miracle cruise, my DH will be renting a tux, partly because he enjoys wearing one and partly because we're taking Amtrak to NY and can't take our largest suitcases so packing his suit or sportcoat with dress shirts, ties and shoes would take up too much space. I wear cocktail dresses (very dressy ones usually) for "elegant" nights and more casual dresses for regular nights. They actually take up a lot less space than slacks and tops do. I have worn long dresses a couple of times, but they do take up a lot more space. I love dressing up and cocktail dresses can look just as good as a long gown. It is pretty obvious the person who wrote the article really doesn't know what she's talking about. Also, the president of Carnival saying the reaction has been very positive, doesn't really mean much since I highly doubt they've done a real survey. I don't have a problem with not requiring formal wear, but I do have a problem with the extreme casual lengths some will take it to.

I had posted this in an open discussion board and per idea of one of the repliers, I decided to move it over here.

I will be going on a 3 day cruise with Carnival (Sensation) -for the first time- to the Bahamas and wanted to make sure that the outfits were ok. You know, that I wouldn't be over or underdressed.

Here is what I planned to wear for one of the casual nights:

160821.png

The outfit for the formal night is not showing because for some reason it wouldn't let me paste it.

But there is a link to a dress close enough to what mine looks like:

http://www.charlotterusse.com/produc...entPage=family

Let's try again, if it is attached, then you should see my real dress.

016.jpg.5afda9199a0b407c4d6e788b1ebac722.jpg

Just got off the Sensation 3 day over Thanksgiving. You can pretty much wear anything any night...saw shorts and swim trunks. They did announce the first night at dinner that the next night was elegant night and to not wear jeans, flip flops, hats etc. but it was not enforced. Someone at our table wore jeans on elegant night (that had a hole in them!) and I saw others in jeans/shorts that same night.

No it is not. Don't see anywhere in the following recommending suits or tuxes for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

If you do not read that as the same as recommended, you are being intentionally obtuse, to promote your casual dress bent.

I understand that some people would rather dress as casual as possible. I do not understand why those people will not or cannot admit that the majority STILL dress well above casual.

Dan

If you do not read that as the same as recommended, you are being intentionally obtuse, to promote your casual dress bent.

I understand that some people would rather dress as casual as possible. I do not understand why those people will not or cannot admit that the majority STILL dress well above casual.

Dan

Sorry Dan but you are flat wrong. The vast majority on the last three Carnival cruises I have been on have left the tuxes, and suits at home.

Most people have no desire to wear suits and tuxes and do it simply because at one time someone told them it was the thing to do.

Within five years no one will wear tuxes or suits on a mass market cruise line.

The people who advocate dressing can continue to do so but they are already in the minority and there numbers are shrinking weekly.

The vast majority on the last three Carnival cruises I have been on have left the tuxes, and suits at home.

You were obviously on different cruises than me... and Dan. My last two Carnival cruises, both within the past year, had more men in suits (inc. tuxes) than not. I would guess 70/30, MAYBE 65/35.

I will find it interesting to see if the new dress code for "elegant night" will change things this Feb.

No it is not. Don't see anywhere in the following recommending suits or tuxes for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Just the facts please.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Dan

If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so.

And some might take it to mean you will not be asked to leave the dining room if you wear suits and ties or tuxedos unlike, for example, t-shirts.

The guidelines seem very clear.

Everything else is just your opinion and/or the way you would like it to be.

Dan

Sorry, I don't see any recommendations for tuxes or suits. Only that you're welcome to wear them if you so desire. Sport coats are "suggested". Am I mistaken that a "sport coat" is different from a suit or a tuxedo? I always thought they were more casual and separate (as opposed to a matching set) from the slacks you wear with it. :confused:

We recently were on the Carnival Liberty. In the dining room during the two elegant nights there were some tuxedos and some suits, but a lot of the men simply wore dress slacks and nice shirts, some with ties.
THANK YOU!!! :p We've been on 7 cruises and never have I worn a Tux... Always a dark suit, shirt and tie.. However, now that Carnival has given me the option to wear slacks and a dress shirt, I will do so...:) I may even throw in a tie, even tho' it is not recommended...

Those who desire to wear a suit, shirt and tie, or a tux, feel free to do so... ! I will show my full approval..!

If I don't have to, I'm happy just 'following the suggested guidelines'..:D Besides, the DW says 1 suitcase only..:rolleyes:

THANK YOU!!! :p We've been on 7 cruises and never have I worn a Tux... Always a dark suit, shirt and tie.. However, now that Carnival has given me the option to wear slacks and a dress shirt, I will do so...:) I may even throw in a tie, even tho' it is not recommended...

Those who desire to wear a suit, shirt and tie, or a tux, feel free to do so... ! I will show my full approval..!

If I don't have to, I'm happy just 'following the suggested guidelines'..:D Besides, the DW says 1 suitcase only..:rolleyes:

That's EXACTLY what we're doing.

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for your response. No, I wasn't being obtuse. I actually wanted to make sure that the jeans were fine for the CASUAL dinner and my dress (attached) for the formal one. People tend to have different conceptions of what formal and casual elegant is...and being, that this is my first "official" cruise,... "Better be safe than sorry".

Once again, I do appreciate the kindness with which you replied to my post.

Dan,

Thanks for your response. No, I wasn't being obtuse. I actually wanted to make sure that the jeans were fine for the CASUAL dinner and my dress (attached) for the formal one. People tend to have different conceptions of what formal and casual elegant is...and being, that this is my first "official" cruise,... "Better be safe than sorry".

Once again, I do appreciate the kindness with which you replied to my post.

I did not go back to find it, so I have no clue what your post was. But I was not responding to it at all. My response was to zqvol.

Interesting, because the suggested dress for men is a shirt and tie, with a sport coat recommended, but not required. So you are saying that most over dressed, . . . very interesting.

Where are you getting the tie?:confused:

""Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so""

Steve

Funny,

Fans of casual attire don't seem to see the men in tuxi, while the fans of more dressy attire do seem to see the men in tuxi.

Fuzzy perception by someone.

Dan

Thats a very good perception.:)

Remember this post by pegs222... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17073542&postcount=9 All right, I will amend my statement :rolleyes:. 99% wore gowns, cocktail dresses and or suites or a Tux. Everyone looked very nice.

Steve

Just got off the Sensation 3 day over Thanksgiving. You can pretty much wear anything any night...saw shorts and swim trunks. They did announce the first night at dinner that the next night was elegant night and to not wear jeans, flip flops, hats etc. but it was not enforced. Someone at our table wore jeans on elegant night (that had a hole in them!) and I saw others in jeans/shorts that same night.

Thank you so much Rock59! This is giving me a serious relief....

Thats a very good perception.:)

Remember this post by pegs222... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17073542&postcount=9 All right, I will amend my statement :rolleyes:. 99% wore gowns, cocktail dresses and or suites or a Tux. Everyone looked very nice.

Steve

Can't say that her 99% number was correct, but I would agree with a number above 80%.

She included all those within Carnival's definition of formal. And Carnival's definition is the one that counts. I don't get to pick my favorite concept of formal, nor does zqvol, nor do you, or anyone else. It is the HOST"S guidelines that do apply. Like it, agree with, or not. That is how it is [or WAS in this case] Someplace on the Earth there may be a primitive tribe that sees a loincloth of old wheat sack cloth to be formal wear as opposed to their everyday animal hide discount clothes. Some countries a long sleeved nearly see thru shirt worn outside the pants is formal wear.

Suffice to say, that on cruises of 7 days or more, [we don't do short cruises] a obvious majority did adhere to the old CARNIVAL FORMAL dress code.

Dan

I had posted this in an open discussion board and per idea of one of the repliers, I decided to move it over here.

I will be going on a 3 day cruise with Carnival (Sensation) -for the first time- to the Bahamas and wanted to make sure that the outfits were ok. You know, that I wouldn't be over or underdressed.

Here is what I planned to wear for one of the casual nights:

160821.png

The outfit for the formal night is not showing because for some reason it wouldn't let me paste it.

But there is a link to a dress close enough to what mine looks like:

http://www.charlotterusse.com/produc...entPage=family

Let's try again, if it is attached, then you should see my real dress.

Both outfits will be fine......you will fit in with the majority........

Ok trying to remember my last few cruises.........I might have noticed maybe one or two men wearing a tux...........or maybe there was more but they didn't stand out........

We will be passing on elegant night next week and will be sporting jeans and shorts in the buffet;)

We just returned yesterday from our Conquest cruise. I didn't see even one tux on either 'elegant' night. There were lots of dark suits and long gowns. Some people (not a lot) were walking around in jeans and tee shirts. We saw several guys, accompanied by ladies who were dressed to the nines, at the Captain's party wearing jeans and pull over, stripped shirts. It didn't bother me, just thought it was strange how the women were all decked out but the fellows weren't.

Can't say that her 99% number was correct, but I would agree with a number above 80%.

She included all those within Carnival's definition of formal. And Carnival's definition is the one that counts. I don't get to pick my favorite concept of formal, nor does zqvol, nor do you, or anyone else. It is the HOST"S guidelines that do apply. Like it, agree with, or not. That is how it is [or WAS in this case] Someplace on the Earth there may be a primitive tribe that sees a loincloth of old wheat sack cloth to be formal wear as opposed to their everyday animal hide discount clothes. Some countries a long sleeved nearly see thru shirt worn outside the pants is formal wear.

Suffice to say, that on cruises of 7 days or more, [we don't do short cruises] a obvious majority did adhere to the old CARNIVAL FORMAL dress code.

Dan

Did I miss someting sir?

I saw nothing in the dress guidelines that said a suit or tux was required on ANY night.

What do you see that I don't sir?

Is there a set of guidelines that I missed?

Did I miss someting sir?

I saw nothing in the dress guidelines that said a suit or tux was required on ANY night.

What do you see that I don't sir?

Is there a set of guidelines that I missed?

You didn't see the word required because I didn't use the word required. And this is in reference to the old dress code not the Elegant dress code.

guide·line (gimacr.gifdprime.giflimacr.gifnlprime.gif)n. A statement or other indication of policy or procedure by which to determine a course of action:

Those that wish to keep their heads in the sand are welcome to their choice.

Dan

You didn't see the word required because I didn't use the word required. And this is in reference to the old dress code not the Elegant dress code.

guide·line (gimacr.gifdprime.giflimacr.gifnlprime.gif)n. A statement or other indication of policy or procedure by which to determine a course of action:

Those that wish to keep their heads in the sand are welcome to their choice.

Dan

No head in the sand here.

The dress guidelines do NOT require or request a suit or tux.

Simple as that.

Of course you can exceed that by wearing a suit or tux but it is NOT required.

Anything else seems very misleading to me.

We will be sailing on the Triumph March 22, 2009 cruise. I have always brought my tux for formal night. Has the new dress code had an effect on the number of men wearing tuxs on formal night. I like to put it on but I don't want to be the only guy wearing one. Thanks for your input.

Take it and wear it. I owned a tux a long time ago and wore it on formal nights...now I wear a nice suit (mainly because I don't fit in my tux anymore...lol!!) and always notice at least a few men in tuxes.

Archived