My opinion of the Sapphire Horizon Buffet

gargoyle999

ok I think just about everyone agrees the food serving area in the Horizon Buffet is too small. It is, though overall wasn't horrible to navigate when we were there. Here are some other observations I had from my cruise on the Sapphire last week.

I thought the food was fine and have no major complaints. I do think the pastry items are pretty dry though. But I still ate them! :)

I wish they put the butter by the bread and rolls. It took me a few days to find it and it was only after DW told me it was by the fruit! How tricky....

I love bacon and the bacon was cooked perfect! Nice and crispy without being overdone.

A couple days I had breaded shrimp for lunch, one of my favorites! Very tasty so that was really nice. I did have to wait a couple minutes for them to fill the cocktail sauce both times however. But worth the wait. I got my money's worth on those days! :)

They do a good job changing out the bins of food for the hot items. I saw them replacing bins that still had several servings in them with full bins.

Scrambled eggs are too runny.

Seating was good. Couldn't always get a seat right by the buffet but could always find a table somewhere.

The one thing that bothered me was the ice machines couldn't keep up. They would bring out bins of ice but they were on a small table. So you can't really get your ice using just one hand. And there really isn't a good place to put down your plate while you get yourself some ice. Not too big of a deal when you could get a table nearby. Put your plate down and go back. But a little inconvenient when your table was further away.

And sometimes for the ice bin they used a glass instead of a scoop. I thought that was not too sanitary. People grabbing the glass and scooping the ice over and over.

They have water, hot water, tea bags, coffee, decaf coffee and ice tea available. I would like lemonade was well but was fine with the ice tea.

They do a very good job clearing the tables as people leave as well as clearing plates you are done with while still eating.

It is nice having the 24 hour buffet as well.

Dry pastry, hidden butter . . . didn't you get the message? They're only looking after your cholesterol levels! You should really send them a thank-you note on behalf of your arteries; it's not every company that takes such care of its customers!

I've noticed overall that Princess has ice issues. I blame it entirely on their British roots. The English (gotta love 'em) just don't understand the whole concept; it's as though more than one ice cube per person per day will somehow cause the collapse of the Commonwealth.

P.S. I like your review format of multiple "My Opinion Of . . . " posts! Fun. Can't wait for the next ones.

Overall I liked the buffet and the food. I only have two wishes...

First, I wish they had more tables with the benches, because I find them more comfortable with my knee. I don't mind sharing, yet sometimes I had to go out to the "back forty" to find a table.

Second, I wish they'd put the trident grill and pizza closer to the buffet instead of making you walk past two pools to get to it. I understand they figure it keeps the two separate if you are at the pool, but what if half your party wants to buffet? BTW, they'd split the knackwurst and grill it if you asked, and that rocked!

Fern

Overall I liked the buffet and the food. I only have two wishes...

First, I wish they had more tables with the benches, because I find them more comfortable with my knee. I don't mind sharing, yet sometimes I had to go out to the "back forty" to find a table.

Second, I wish they'd put the trident grill and pizza closer to the buffet instead of making you walk past two pools to get to it. I understand they figure it keeps the two separate if you are at the pool, but what if half your party wants to buffet? BTW, they'd split the knackwurst and grill it if you asked, and that rocked!

Fern

Fern, I am also a lover of Knackwurst(in fact was raised on it) and never thought asking them to grill and split in half. Thanks for suggestion. I am going to try it next April on my cruise.:D

Mairlyn

The butter has always been a factor at the buffet.

Reason it's not by the bread/rolls is because it has to be kept in a chilled station. It does make it a bit difficult to find at first, but you learn to get it when you go by that station before heading to the rolls.

The ice machines have always had problems on every ship we have sailed on. The main ones just can't keep up with the amount of passengers eating/drinking all at the same time. Not sure what they could do about that problem as ice takes a little time to make.

Happy to hear you made due though and were able to work around the little problems you found at the buffet.

Fern, I am also a lover of Knackwurst(in fact was raised on it) and never thought asking them to grill and split in half. Thanks for suggestion. I am going to try it next April on my cruise.:D

Mairlyn

When I was on the Sapphire in Sept/Oct - they were splitting the knockwurst with out asking for it! It was their common practice. I do like it also.

The butter has always been a factor at the buffet.

Reason it's not by the bread/rolls is because it has to be kept in a chilled station. It does make it a bit difficult to find at first, but you learn to get it when you go by that station before heading to the rolls.

Ok that makes sense..though I like my butter room temp so it spreads easier. Yeah it wasn't a problem to get some once I knew it was by the fruit. I just didn't find it on my own for some strange reason. :)

Ok that makes sense..though I like my butter room temp so it spreads easier. Yeah it wasn't a problem to get some once I knew it was by the fruit. I just didn't find it on my own for some strange reason. :)

I like my butter room temp also.:)

I'm booked Sapphire on Jan 17 departure and have really enjoyed your impartial posts. Now I know were to get my butter!:D And all about anytime dining. I don't mind waiting for a table and will just have martini while I wait.:rolleyes:

I love cruising. I've enjoyed and had fun on every cruise I've been on. I believe its a matter of just going with the flow and not letting small issues ruin or put you in a a frame of mind that spoils the experience. The cruise lines and staff try to accommodate every persons needs on EVERY cruise. It is impossible to please everyone all the time, including me but basically they do the best they can.

With a stressful job some issues posters (not yours) seem rather pointless and make some problems to me a little silly.

Maybe you enjoyed the search for the butter!!:D:D

Thanks

Anthony

When I was on the Sapphire in Sept/Oct - they were splitting the knockwurst with out asking for it! It was their common practice. I do like it also.

Hi Theresa: I just got off of the Star and they did not split it so when i go on the coral next april I am going to request that they split it and grill it. Yum.

Marilyn

Hi Theresa: I just got off of the Star and they did not split it so when i go on the coral next april I am going to request that they split it and grill it. Yum.

Marilyn

It was quite good that way. I thought they did it to have it cook quicker (go figure!). Must be whoever is CHEF! ;)

I like my butter room temp also.:)

I'm booked Sapphire on Jan 17 departure and have really enjoyed your impartial posts. Now I know were to get my butter!:D And all about anytime dining. I don't mind waiting for a table and will just have martini while I wait.:rolleyes:

I love cruising. I've enjoyed and had fun on every cruise I've been on. I believe its a matter of just going with the flow and not letting small issues ruin or put you in a a frame of mind that spoils the experience. The cruise lines and staff try to accommodate every persons needs on EVERY cruise. It is impossible to please everyone all the time, including me but basically they do the best they can.

With a stressful job some issues posters (not yours) seem rather pointless and make some problems to me a little silly.

Maybe you enjoyed the search for the butter!!:D:D

Thanks

Anthony

I'm sure you'll have a great time. We did give the cruise an overall rating of "excellent" and "exceeded our expectations" on the survey they give you at the end. Though some individual categories we did rate as "good" and not excellent. We really did not have any major complaints about anything.

Archived