Most Unusal Find WHile Snorkling?

Randus62

I lost 260.00 and a gold anklet when I went snorkeling. Come to think of it, I think my pontoon is missing as well!!!

But seriously, I have mostly found cool shells and fish when I snorkel. A few times I saw a huge eel and a squid or octopus and also sea turtles.

Cuddlefish....it had zoned in on it's prey and was mesmerizing it with that thing they do. They point right at the fish and rapidly change colors from fron to back and then...zap! They sling that tenticle with the barbed dart out and the fish dissappears somewhere inside the rest of the arms. Coooll!:D

I really don't dive or snorkel (have a couple of times but just too much of a chicken). I read this thread thinking it would be interesting and it is. How do you find paper money? Does it not dissolve in the water?? I am completely amazed by this.

Money doesnt dissolve, it just gets wet, its not the kind of paper you get out of a printer... Some currency is even made out of plastic.

Money doesnt dissolve, it just gets wet, its not the kind of paper you get out of a printer... Some currency is even made out of plastic.

Like the currency in New Zealand and Romania....wow, pretty money, but really weird feeling and very unusual!

Guess I need to start looking harder for stuff:p....I am paying WAY too much attention to the sea life!:eek:

We found a credit card once!

Turned it in back at the ship, turns out it wasn't someone from our ship so they were going to contact the other ship that was in port that day. Didn't want to walk the beach asking if someone lost a credit card!

you guys are so lucky finding this money!!! I need to be looking out more for this. It is hard to think of everything, but I guess the coolest things were BIG-a nurse shark off St John, and and an enourmous-I am talking VW sized- jew fish in Akumal. Oh and the very best- a giant pod (25 +) of spinner dolphins in about 50-75 ft of water at Place of Refuge on the Big Island of Hawaii- my flippers grew wings and took off with them for a while. No I do not recommend tears of joy in a mask...but try and not be blown away.

you guys are so lucky finding this money!!! I need to be looking out more for this. It is hard to think of everything, but I guess the coolest things were BIG-a nurse shark off St John, and and an enourmous-I am talking VW sized- jew fish in Akumal. Oh and the very best- a giant pod (25 +) of spinner dolphins in about 50-75 ft of water at Place of Refuge on the Big Island of Hawaii- my flippers grew wings and took off with them for a while. No I do not recommend tears of joy in a mask...but try and not be blown away.

The funny side of my discovery of a $50 bill was that I am extremely buoyent and could not dive down 10 feet to get it. I had my DH retrieve it for me :D. I usually find money on shore dives/snorkels, and I am willing to bet most money comes out of men's swim trunks.

In Tortola I found a fully intact skeleton of a pelican on the reef. Apparently it had somehow met an untimely death and the fish, et al, took advantage of the situation and picked it clean. The "wish bone" wasn't even broken. Looked like a dinosaur skeleton you'd see in a museum. :)

Randall

We were in Martinique several years ago and went snorkeling at a local beach. Many of the men ( my DH included) came back after snorkeling to report how many "boobie fish" they had seen. (French island~topless beaches) MEN!!!!

Some interesting stuff: gold wedding band (I tried very hard to find the owner), a $20 bill (I bought rum on the way back to the ship) and a human femor :eek:(leg bone. Totally freaked out the woman at the hotel desk when I reported it).

Did you ever find out where, who:eek:, it came from??

Archived