Here is a new dinning room dress question

DG2004

at least I think it is

I saw something in the dinning room on the Imagination this past weekend that I don't recall ever seeing before.

A grown man wearing a baseball hat (camouflage) during dinner:eek:

has anyone else seen this?

at least I think it is

I saw something in the dinning room on the Imagination this past weekend that I don't recall ever seeing before.

A grown man wearing a baseball (camouflage) during dinner:eek:

He was wearing a baseball? :confused: If it was camouflage, how did you see it?

at least I think it is

A grown man wearing a baseball (camouflage) during dinner:eek:

A baseball or a baseball cap? I have seen someone wearing a cap on one of our cruises on The Conquest.:rolleyes:

I'm by no means Miss Manners. I'm not a fuddy-duddy old woman who yells "Get off my lawn, you kids!". I'm thirty, for God's sake, but for some reason that just annoys the hell out of me. Don't know why, but it's right up there with not standing for introductions and talking during the National Anthem.

Nothing is worse that sitting down to dinner, and having someone sit next to you wearing a baseball hat!

We were at a restaurant the other night, and three men were sitting there with their baseball caps on. These were not young men, all way over 60, (winter snowbirds) and one of them was Military! :confused: That was hard to take. He of all people knew better.

It was at a well known family restauant, nothing fancy, but still you should be able to go in and have dinner without all the junk. So inconsiderate, and just plain tacky.

Then to top it off, two of the guys sitting across from us, started blowing the paper from their straws at each other!:eek:

Nothing is worse that sitting down to dinner' date=' and having someone sit next to you wearing a baseball hat! [/color']

Well, we had one that was close. On the second formal night of our Alaska cruise, with me in a tuxedo, our tablemates showed up at our 4-top table and he was wearing a golf shirt. He said he wondered what the dress code would be, but looking around it appeared to him that a collared shirt was all that was needed. Sadly, at least for that cruise, he was correct.

I have seen a Maitre 'd remove someone because they wouldn't take off their baseball cap. Wish there was more of that.

at least I think it is

A grown man wearing a baseball hat (camouflage) during dinner:eek:

Yes, I'm sorry to say...I've seen EXACTLY the same thing. Maybe it was the same guy! :p It was even a camo hat. Believe it or not, he was with a large wedding party and wore that dang hat every night except formal night.

Oh for $h!t$ sake....People should worry more about themselves than what other people are wearing or doing..Set example by doing not complaining..Youll be much happier..

Kelly

I mean, I do disagree that in a "formal" dining environment (like a cruise ship dining room), hats are inappropriate. Otherwise, you're fairly well right on the money. To complain about hats at a casual family restaurant? How on earth is it "inconsiderate"? Has that man's hat ruined your dinner somehow? How other people's headgear could ACTUALLY affect someone one bit, I can't imagine. :) Personally, I mind my own business and can't say I've ever really noticed anyone's hat, or lack thereof, at a "normal" restaurant.

1) Formal situations = Hats are in poor taste, as clothing requirements are present-----hats are just not part of the list. No one would wear a ball cap with a suit (hopefully!), so this makes sense. I don't really care, but I can understand having rules allowing for a "special occasion" to include a ban on hats.

2) Informal eateries = Hats aren't a big deal. Everyone's wearing jeans and t-shirts, which they might normally wear outside of the restaurant with a hat. Women can go out wearing (gasp!) pants now, men no longer wear fedoras and cufflinks regularly, and hats while casually eating just aren't a huge social faux pas anymore.

Honestly? The guys I know that never take off their hats do so because they're going bald. It's absolutely impossible for them to consider revealing that in public, apparently, so they wear baseball caps all the time. Meh. Unless I'm taking one to a restaurant with actual tablecloths (which sadly is a good measure of formality, anymore!), I do not care.

There are manners in society that make everyone get along better, grease the wheels of civilized life. Cleaning up after yourself, not using foul language where children can hear, saying "Please" and "Thank you". Then there are "manners" that somehow got into the public conscience that never made any damn sense. These types of rules are slowly disappearing. I'm happy to see them go, as long as we get to keep the first type. :)

Oh for $h!t$ sake....People should worry more about themselves than what other people are wearing or doing..Set example by doing not complaining..Youll be much happier..

Kelly

I agree with you. What's the big deal? My husband wears baseball hats all the time. Ok, he won't wear to the dining room on the boat, but he wears it in restaurants all the time. I mean, if we go to a sports bar, does he need to take his hat off?? usually his hair looks so bad underneath because of hat hair I think it's more offensive for him to take the hat off, lol.

He was not raised in America so maybe he doesn't know the rules, but when I mentioned it to him once, he had no idea it was even a bad thing. I think you people need to get lives and stop worrying about everyone else for a change.

I'm by no means Miss Manners. I'm not a fuddy-duddy old woman who yells "Get off my lawn, you kids!". I'm thirty, for God's sake, but for some reason that just annoys the hell out of me. Don't know why, but it's right up there with not standing for introductions and talking during the National Anthem.

I know why these things annoy me, because it's bad manners. At least that is what my parents taught me. And it's not just on Carnival, we did a "cap count" in the dining room last week, only got up to two, and one eventually took his off. But like all the other things, we would never let it ruin our time onboard.

I mean, I do disagree that in a "formal" dining environment (like a cruise ship dining room), hats are inappropriate. Otherwise, you're fairly well right on the money. To complain about hats at a casual family restaurant? How on earth is it "inconsiderate"? Has that man's hat ruined your dinner somehow? How other people's headgear could ACTUALLY affect someone one bit, I can't imagine. :) Personally, I mind my own business and can't say I've ever really noticed anyone's hat, or lack thereof, at a "normal" restaurant.

1) Formal situations = Hats are in poor taste, as clothing requirements are present-----hats are just not part of the list. No one would wear a ball cap with a suit (hopefully!), so this makes sense. I don't really care, but I can understand having rules allowing for a "special occasion" to include a ban on hats.

2) Informal eateries = Hats aren't a big deal. Everyone's wearing jeans and t-shirts, which they might normally wear outside of the restaurant with a hat. Women can go out wearing (gasp!) pants now, men no longer wear fedoras and cufflinks regularly, and hats while casually eating just aren't a huge social faux pas anymore.

Honestly? The guys I know that never take off their hats do so because they're going bald. It's absolutely impossible for them to consider revealing that in public, apparently, so they wear baseball caps all the time. Meh. Unless I'm taking one to a restaurant with actual tablecloths (which sadly is a good measure of formality, anymore!), I do not care.

There are manners in society that make everyone get along better, grease the wheels of civilized life. Cleaning up after yourself, not using foul language where children can hear, saying "Please" and "Thank you". Then there are "manners" that somehow got into the public conscience that never made any damn sense. These types of rules are slowly disappearing. I'm happy to see them go, as long as we get to keep the first type. :)

I agree 100%. There was another thread on here about baseball caps and I think it got deleted cuz people just get nasty about the subject. I'm 46 female and do not consider wearing a hat in a restaurant to be rude and inconsiderate. My DH does it all the time as well as hundreds of other men I see. Geez people this is the 21st century. That custom was established years ago when men plowed fields and dirt and grime fell upon the hat so the hat to come off before they entered a building to keep the grime and dirt out. Forgive me but I just have to speak up and say it is time to let "old/stale" customs go away. My DH doesn't feel comfortable going without his baseball cap. He doesn't wear it on our cruise during dinner, and it always comes off when the National Anthem is played or in our VFW when we all sing patriotic songs. Other than that, the hat is on and I prefer it that way. He doesn't look like himself with the hat off cuz he ALWAYS wears it. People need to get over it. I'm sorry if you feel you are being disrepected cuz some guy is wearing a baseball cap in a casual restaurant or even walking into Walmart cuz the "old custom" says remove your hat before you enter a building. This is the 21st century and time to move on. Putting the flame shield on!:o

I wear a hat everywhere. I am 26 and god forbid I wear it backwards all the time. i even wear it inside!! But even I draw the line at wearing it at the dinner table.

that is how I feel...I mean

shorts...dont care

jeans...dont care

kids...dont care

smuggling...dont care

but even i wont wear a baseball hat into the dinning room, but as for a cowboy hat...I really dont care

oh well...just an observation

Just to throw my .02 in here, polite society died years ago with the advent of the internet, home computer, cell phone and video game. There is no such thing as manners anymore. To prove it just read one of the posts in here where it starts "For $h!t$ sake..." personally I feel this is the epitome of bad manners; however, it does no good to try to correct this for you will only be shouted down and flamed.

Yes, the "Blue Collar Comedy/Might Be A Redneck" crowd is in the majority...might as well get used to it. :(

I know why these things annoy me, because it's bad manners. At least that is what my parents taught me. And it's not just on Carnival, we did a "cap count" in the dining room last week, only got up to two, and one eventually took his off. But like all the other things, we would never let it ruin our time onboard.

I'm not saying it ruins my time. I'm just saying I find it slightly annoying. I guess that's the trade off for being able to wear more casual clothes into the dining room and not having to break out the bride's maid gowns.

Archived