Here is a new dinning room dress question

DG2004

Just to throw my .02 in here, polite society died years ago with the advent of the internet, home computer, cell phone and video game. There is no such thing as manners anymore. To prove it just read one of the posts in here where it starts "For $h!t$ sake..." personally I feel this is the epitome of bad manners; however, it does no good to try to correct this for you will only be shouted down and flamed.

Yes, the "Blue Collar Comedy/Might Be A Redneck" crowd is in the majority...might as well get used to it. :(

Even when "polite society" existed, there were still people who would have "posted in here" starting with "For $h!t's sake". And NO one in here is saying that that sort of language is appropriate---no matter which side of the custom we come down on, we all agree with that.

Again, there's a difference between society's rules that MATTER and those that are just knee-jerk. Not swearing at people in a public forum might be considered the first. But "no hats while eating"? Most definitely, the second, to me. :)

at least I think it is

I saw something in the dinning room on the Imagination this past weekend that I don't recall ever seeing before.

A grown man wearing a baseball hat (camouflage) during dinner:eek:

has anyone else seen this?

Camouflage....must be from Oklahoma.

G905-BAR-WM-MBK.jpg

Go SEC!

Traditionally, gentlemen remove their hats when inside unless they hold to a religious belief that requires covering the head. It's fine to leave the hat on, but if a man does, he is not a gentleman. Decorum and grace are positive elements in society. I won't surrender that notion to others who think anything goes in the name of modernity.

No one over 30 wears a baseball cap unless they're on a baseball diamond, and only ladies need not remove their headgear indoors.

If I didn't think you were serious I would be rolling in the floor laughing at you, but I really think that you believe that line of garbage.

There are times and places for everything. It used to be to go to a football game men wore sports coats and ties . . . that doesn't happen often any more. Men did not board an aircraft without a suit on . . . today people fly in their freakin pajamas. Women would not go out of the house unless they were wearing a dress. . . tell me that still happens, now they get away with pants that stop 4 or 5 inches above their ankles and call it style, . . . I call it ugly. Of course, with this logic, it is inappropriate to wear a hat at a basketball or hockey game.

I can go on and on but the point is that times change and customs change. Men and women wear athletic type caps all the time in a casual setting, they don't take them off in the mall, at mickie D's etc.

Hats are a no no in the dining room at dinner. Breakfast and lunch different issues, but to think that correct manners requires removal of a hat whenever you are in a building anymore is incorrect.

Use some common sense, and for the record:

Guys, get a shower, wash the hair and, leave the hats in the cabin at dinner.

Here in Texas cowboy hats are considered part of formal wear. :D

As for baseball caps in the dining room I don't think they should be allowed. It won't ruin my good time but it's just the principal of good manners. My mom always says the worst thing she taught me was to follow the rules and use good manners. Because nobody else these days does!!! :rolleyes:

I shall repeat my quote from another thread "If everyone just worried about themselves and their families then what a wonderful world we live in"

If you dont want to see a hat when you're eating then order room sevice.:p(That was meant to be a joke)

I shall repeat my quote from another thread "If everyone just worried about themselves and their families then what a wonderful world we live in"

If you dont want to see a hat when you're eating then order room sevice.:p(That was meant to be a joke)

How about I just eat your hat ... :eek: :D

I'm by no means Miss Manners. I'm not a fuddy-duddy old woman who yells "Get off my lawn, you kids!". I'm thirty, for God's sake, but for some reason that just annoys the hell out of me. Don't know why, but it's right up there with not standing for introductions and talking during the National Anthem.

I was just having this conversation on the phone with my 23 year old DD. Even she is baffled by how manners have gone out the window.

Removing a hat, giving a woman (older person or pregnant woman) your seat, and opening doors for people are gone.

Are mothers not teaching their children basic manners any more???

I agree with you. What's the big deal? My husband wears baseball hats all the time. Ok, he won't wear to the dining room on the boat, but he wears it in restaurants all the time. I mean, if we go to a sports bar, does he need to take his hat off?? usually his hair looks so bad underneath because of hat hair I think it's more offensive for him to take the hat off, lol.

He was not raised in America so maybe he doesn't know the rules, but when I mentioned it to him once, he had no idea it was even a bad thing. I think you people need to get lives and stop worrying about everyone else for a change.

the deal (whether it is a big deal or not) is that it shows lack of class/manners.

Here in Texas cowboy hats are considered part of formal wear. :D

As for baseball caps in the dining room I don't think they should be allowed. It won't ruin my good time but it's just the principal of good manners. My mom always says the worst thing she taught me was to follow the rules and use good manners. Because nobody else these days does!!! :rolleyes:

But a true Texan man, removes his hat when indoors. ;)

That's the same kind of texan that says 'Ma'am' and holds the door open for you.

A true gentleman. ;)

How about I just eat your hat ... :eek: :D

Go ahead if you want, I recommend some sort of dipping sauce thought its a little stinky right now.:D:p

I dont wear my hat at dinner, but I dont care if anyone else does. That was my point. What you do is of no concern to me, but that is what kind of world we live in now. If it bothers you ask the maitre d' to go ask him to take it off, that is what they are paid/tipped for.

I was just having this conversation on the phone with my 23 year old DD. Even she is baffled by how manners have gone out the window.

Removing a hat, giving a woman (older person or pregnant woman) your seat, and opening doors for people are gone.

While my parents taught me my manners, they were really enforced by the schools I attended. I guess it's not something that's being covered anymore. I lost some of them when I went to college, but being in a professional environment where I work with a board of directors and often have to dine with them has actually brought them back with a vengence to the point where I *have* read Emily Post just to be sure I'm using the proper decorum.

I dont wear my hat at dinner, but I dont care if anyone else does. That was my point. What you do is of no concern to me, but that is what kind of world we live in now. If it bothers you ask the maitre d' to go ask him to take it off, that is what they are paid/tipped for.

I don't know if it bothers me so much as it makes me sad. Besides, I'd rather just shoot daggers and make snarky comments to my tablemates. Because that's the mature thing to do.

the deal (whether it is a big deal or not) is that it shows lack of class/manners.

I give up my chair for a woman and open the door for the kids at my daughters school every morning. That has no comparison to wearing hats though. A hat is an article of clothing kind of like a shirt. Are you saying that noone should wear shirts at dinner?(This isnt meant at the poster i quoted its meant as a rhetorical question.)

This is 2008 almost 2009, things are different now then when most of the more adult members of the site were growing up. Things that some consider rude others do not. We all come from different places and different backgrounds, its time to be a little more open and understanding.

I ssaid earlier that I dont wear my hat at the dinner table because my mom taught me that and out of respect for her I do it, but that in no way gives me the right to look down upon anyone that may wear one.

While my parents taught me my manners, they were really enforced by the schools I attended. I guess it's not something that's being covered anymore. I lost some of them when I went to college, but being in a professional environment where I work with a board of directors and often have to dine with them has actually brought them back with a vengence to the point where I *have* read Emily Post just to be sure I'm using the proper decorum.

Ironically this is exactly what she was saying (my DD)...she is so disturbed by the fact that most schools do NOT do this that she was talking about home-schooling her kids (when she one day actually has some)

I think it's a good idea....

:D

I don't know if it bothers me so much as it makes me sad. Besides, I'd rather just shoot daggers and make snarky comments to my tablemates. Because that's the mature thing to do.

lol!!!!! While maybe not the mature thing to do, it's definitely the more fun thing to do!!!!!! I agree with the whole school thing, its just not taught to the students these days. Heck they dont even say the pledge of allegiance anymore.(not trying to start anything, just making a point)

Ironically this is exactly what she was saying (my DD)...she is so disturbed by the fact that most schools do NOT do this that she was talking about home-schooling her kids (when she one day actually has some)

I think it's a good idea....

It's not just the kids though, there are a lot of people who should know better and just don't care. Next time you find yourself in a nice restaurant (preferably one with a tasting menu) look around and see who knows what the hell they are doing and who looks like they just fell of the hay cart. It's freakin' scary.

I ssaid earlier that I dont wear my hat at the dinner table because my mom taught me that and out of respect for her I do it, but that in no way gives me the right to look down upon anyone that may wear one.

...and that in a nutshell, is my point. Your Momma taught you respect.

Lots of Mommas obviously, are not doing the same.

...and that in a nutshell, is my point.

I think you're exactly right. But there are 2 types of people these days I guess then. Those that wear hats at the dinner table and those that dont. I am planning on wearing suit and tie 3 out of the 7 nights on my cruise and shirt and tie the other 4. While some call this overdressed I dont. OUT OF RESPECT for my servers who are in tuxes that is the least I can do.

After all there are white tableclothes at the tables and more than 1 fork and spoon. By the way start from the outside and work your way in people. The rounder spoon is for the soup and the shorter wider fork is for your salad.:D:D(Isnt cotillion great) Yes I live in the south, dont know if cotillion is nationwide or just a southern thing.

I think you're exactly right. But there are 2 types of people these days I guess then. Those that wear hats at the dinner table and those that dont. I am planning on wearing suit and tie 3 out of the 7 nights on my cruise and shirt and tie the other 4. While some call this overdressed I dont. OUT OF RESPECT for my servers who are in tuxes that is the least I can do.

I don't know, the suit and collared shirt with no tie look is pretty hot right now. Just the right balance between dressy and casual without looking too stiff. That, and you won't risk getting food on a nice tie.

It's funny to think of the way the world changes....cruise ships are such a good place to find examples!

Although I consider holding doors open for people "good manners", and one of those things that makes our society a nice one, I don't like it when a man gives up his seat on the bus/train for me.

I'm not saying I don't APPRECIATE it, but it's awkward as all get out to have happen. I'm young and healthy and just as capable of standing as the next person. I tolerate it from older gentlemen, 'cause it's a trained response from their younger years---but I'll just wave off someone younger doing it. I don't deserve to have a seat more or less than anyone else, and I'm NOT gonna use the "I have girly parts" card to get treatment I don't earn. Hehehe.

I will save that for when I don't want to carry heavy objects. :D

I don't know, the suit and collared shirt with no tie look is pretty hot right now. Just the right balance between dressy and casual without looking too stiff. That, and you won't risk getting food on a nice tie.

Thanks for the suggestion. Less to pack that way too.

After all there are white tableclothes at the tables and more than 1 fork and spoon. By the way start from the outside and work your way in people. The rounder spoon is for the soup and the shorter wider fork is for your salad.:D:D(Isnt cotillion great) Yes I live in the south, dont know if cotillion is nationwide or just a southern thing.

I live in the north and I will say that Momma's in the south do a far better job of teaching their sons manners.

Kudos to ya'll :D

Thanks for the suggestion. Less to pack that way too.

Oh, and not only hot right now, but HOT right now. Tieless dress shirt and nice pants is a very, very good look on most guys. There are some guys who just cannot pull off the tie/suit combo. I don't even understand it....but they end up looking uncomfortably squished....or an undertaker. :D

Archived