Here is a new dinning room dress question

DG2004

A kilt is even better - mmmmmmmmm!!!!

Ha! If guys ever realized how very much the ladies like kilts, we'd see 'em everywhere. Boys see 'em and think "ewww, I'm not wearing a skirt", girls see 'em and think.....well, we don't much think at that point, do we, ladies?

I would like some sort of Scottish-themed cruise. With formal kilts.

I think you're exactly right. But there are 2 types of people these days I guess then. Those that wear hats at the dinner table and those that dont. I am planning on wearing suit and tie 3 out of the 7 nights on my cruise and shirt and tie the other 4. While some call this overdressed I dont. OUT OF RESPECT for my servers who are in tuxes that is the least I can do.

After all there are white tableclothes at the tables and more than 1 fork and spoon. By the way start from the outside and work your way in people. The rounder spoon is for the soup and the shorter wider fork is for your salad.:D:D(Isnt cotillion great) Yes I live in the south, dont know if cotillion is nationwide or just a southern thing.

Off subject, but on my past 3-4 Carnival cruises, they have only provided the utensils needed for the course you are being served.

I saw an adult male not only wearing a baseball hat to dinner but flannel pajama pants and a t-shirt! I don't like seeing people wearing their jammies to the grocery store or walmart. So wearing them to the dining room on the ship was just to much. Did anyone say anything to him? NO. I will not tip the maitre d unless he is doing his job which obviously he was not.

I also don't think just because people choose to wear their hats and it's almost 2009 makes it any more appropriate. Manners and showing respect for others never goes out of style.

I was at a fairly upscale resort last month and they had a large breakfast buffet. Two women came thru the line wearing their pajamas (no bathrobe) with big pink curlers/rollers in their hair. The children were about 3 or four and they were wearing one piece pajamas with the feet in them. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and nobody told them they had to leave and they went thru the buffet, took their seat and acted just like nothing was going on.

I saw an adult male not only wearing a baseball hat to dinner but flannel pajama pants and a t-shirt! I don't like seeing people wearing their jammies to the grocery store or walmart. So wearing them to the dining room on the ship was just to much. Did anyone say anything to him? NO. I will not tip the maitre d unless he is doing his job which obviously he was not.

I have seen the maitre d tell a teenaged kid who tried that on my last cruise to go put some proper pants on. He also told some guy in a pitted-out t-shirt that both his clothing choice and personal grooming was unacceptable. It's probably wrong of me say this, but I found over-hearing that enjoyable.

And I love me some flannel pajama bottoms. They're great for lounging around the house. But I haven't left the house in them since I was in college. I don't even like to wear sweatpants. I'll wear shorts in the winter before I resort to either of those.

Been lots of complaints about men wearing hats, not new. The biggest complaint was out of texas, men wearing their cowboy hats to dinner.

Emily Post would say no, but hey its Carnival, and yes you see it.

What does Carnival have to do with it? The Splendour of the Seas does not belong to them, and their were cowboy hats ( many ) among other types, every night at dinner.

at least I think it is

I saw something in the dinning room on the Imagination this past weekend that I don't recall ever seeing before.

A grown man wearing a baseball hat (camouflage) during dinner:eek:

has anyone else seen this?

In between Chemo therapy courses to cure a friends cancer he came back to work without hair and would wear a baseball cap every where including to dinner.

Maybe we should not always assume the worst of people we do not know.

i dont wear hats that often, but i think iam going to start wearing one to the dining rooms every night of the cruise, just in hopes that i ruin someones dinner. yall need to get a life. i always read on here "i would have said this" or "i would have done that" none of you would say anything in person, because you would not want the repercussions of what would happen after you said it.

I sailed on the Imagination 12/1. Our Pride Dining Room "tablemates" were both wearing ball caps, and their bratling vomited all over the table after the couple insisted our waiter dance around the room with him rather than serve us our food.

The ball caps make a lovely background for the evening's pictures that were taken!

Etiquette so few have been taught or think that we do not need these rules in a "Liberal Society"

Men's Hat Etiquette

• Remove your hat when you are indoors. Hallways, lobbies and non-residential elevators are considered similar to being on the street, so hats do not need to be removed in these instances. However, if you are in an elevator and a lady enters, good manners require that you remove your hat.
  • Be respectful and take off your hat whenever the National Anthem is played, at outdoor weddings, and at funeral processions. When attending religious services, remove your hat unless the custom of that particular religion requires that you wear a hat of some kind.
  • Hold your hat in your hands when etiquette dictates it cannot be worn, so that the outside of the hat is the only thing showing. The inside of the hat should be held against your body and should not visible to anyone else.
  • Tip your hat by lifting it slightly off your forehead whenever you greet a lady in passing. Should you stop to chat, you are required to remove your hat entirely. This is called “doffing” your hat, and it’s also used to non-verbally communicate to anyone things such as “thank you” or “excuse me.”

Etiquette so few have been taught or think that we do not need these rules in a "Liberal Society"

Men's Hat Etiquette

• Tip your hat by lifting it slightly off your forehead whenever you greet a lady in passing.

Bwahahaha. Only if you never, ever, ever want to get laid. EVER.

"Oh la, sir, I shall swoon if you do that again."

Hahahahahaha.

I assume that the cap was also on backward. I think that it should be legal and actually encouraged to shoot anyone who wears a baseball cap backward. In fact, we should get a bounty for everyone who eliminate.

DON

Hey! I love to see guys wear their caps backwards when they are on motorcycles - driving thru town (our speed limit here is 25mph) I think it's pretty cute!!

In between Chemo therapy courses to cure a friends cancer he came back to work without hair and would wear a baseball cap every where including to dinner.

Maybe we should not always assume the worst of people we do not know.

This..my manager went to the office pot luck this week, wearing a baseball hat. He's on his second round of chemo.

Bwahahaha. Only if you never, ever, ever want to get laid. EVER.

Now that is funny I don't care who you are :D

Formal Night = no hat and the minimum a suit and tie

Casual dinner in the dining room = no hat minimum Dockers and dress shirt

Casual dinner at a Chili's, TGIF, sports bar, or any other casual family restuarant = wear whatever you want

I personally wear a hat most of the time. I have one on as I type this. I wear it, with shorts, just about every time we go out to a local eatery. This is the first time I have read where that would bother someone. Now I will make sure I wear it every time we go out for a bite to eat. I am a Texan though, we don't concern ourselves with what other people are wearing. We are happy regardless.

Really, some people need to lighten up a little.

If there is a dress code in a dining room it should be enforced by the staff. Proper dress in the main dining room of a cruse ship adds to the whole experience. If you don't want to follow the dress code eat at one of the other venues.

If we see someone that did not bother to dress accordingly we will make a few comments among ourselves but then go on enjoying our cruise.

Oh for $h!t$ sake....People should worry more about themselves than what other people are wearing or doing..Set example by doing not complaining..Youll be much happier..

Kelly

I agree, everybody would be happier if they worried about themselves rather than everyone else. I guess they are so perfect they have time to work on everyone elses bad habits. After all nobody asked you to put on the baseball caps.

Nothing is worse that sitting down to dinner' date=' and having someone sit next to you wearing a baseball hat! [/color']

We were at a restaurant the other night, and three men were sitting there with their baseball caps on. These were not young men, all way over 60, (winter snowbirds) and one of them was Military! :confused: That was hard to take. He of all people knew better.

It was at a well known family restauant, nothing fancy, but still you should be able to go in and have dinner without all the junk. So inconsiderate, and just plain tacky.

Then to top it off, two of the guys sitting across from us, started blowing the paper from their straws at each other!:eek:

I can think of alot of things far worse. Just a few examples...the lady sitting at the table in the corner all alone who just this past year has lost her beloved husband. The family of 4 who can't afford to eat in a resturant because they have an ill child. The waitress that is bringing you your dinner (and those 60 somethings their's as well) who is about to lose her home and fears being homeless. I cringe when people take for granted that everyone and everything in life is the same as they are. We are all people under those hats and until we have walked in their shoes we really need to remember that we don't know all the if's and why's of their lives. Just something to think about the next time one of us see's something that might make us quick to think less of the person.

Archived