Be frugal or cruise?

gill_boo

So, in the beginning of January I get a big pay cheque. Now I was originally planning on a trip and then we thought about moving in February and that is when I was going to go away. So I thought to myself that it was cancelled. Well now we aren't moving and I am torn. Should I just go ahead and do my original plans and cruise, or should I save the money???

Given the economy right now and not knowing your financial position.,... hard to say.

Only YOU know what is the right thing to do under your personal financial status.....

I know if I were coming across some extra $$$ I would be putting it away for things that may arise unexpectedly rather than use it for a week of relaxation that could be done later down the road just as well. JMHO

O.K. I'll say it! CRUISE! CRUISE! CRUISE! You could be dead next year! I'm getting ready to take a cruise that I probably shouldn't be going on, but this is the last year that my daughter will be living at home and my whole family is going to be together, so I know I won't regret it in the long run. Memories are priceless!!

We always travel with surplus money. By the time we sail, the cruise, excursions, gratuities are paid in full. Nothing on credit cards. I would say that if it's surplus money and it's not going to affect your ability to pay your bills or dent your current savings, enjoy some time off! Go on the cruise!

My PVP told me how she deals with so many guests who are paying for their cruises with newly issued credit cards just so that they can "afford" taking their vacations (truly getting themselves in more debt). It would personally make me ill to take this route so that I can travel, but to each his own!

My PVP told me how she deals with so many guests who are paying for their cruises with newly issued credit cards just so that they can "afford" taking their vacations (truly getting themselves in more debt). It would personally make me ill to take this route so that I can travel, but to each his own!

Just goes to show you, people will believe anything.

How would this PVP know that these people went out and applied for a new line of credit just so they could book a cruise on carnival?

Just goes to show you, people will believe anything.

How would this PVP know that these people went out and applied for a new line of credit just so they could book a cruise on carnival?

No idea really but maybe they are people opening Carnival sponsored credit cards & their cruise being put on it? Maybe this info shared at sales meetings? Just a guess though. In general, don't think it is just people who want to "book a cruise on Carnival," but probably a good many people in society as a whole who live this way. But anyway, that was a whole 'nother thread - lol.

As for the OP....personally, I wouldn't dismiss the cruise idea all together. Asking if you should do it doesn't mean you can't afford it & shouldn't go. I live very frugally so I ask myself that question every cruise I'm planning. However, I still did 3 cruises this year & had a 4th booked but had to cancel for reasons other than money. My husband on the other hand just searches for good prices & nags to book, I agree & then try to figure how to pay for it...which I always do. You know youself & how you spend..could you go, be frugal & still be happy? I spend next to nothing on my Sail & Sign card, except tips & a minor amt. here & there on board. Book tours independently so reasonable or maybe just go to the beach.

Figure what you'll need for a move & how likely it is to be coming up soon (if very soon, put cruise off to a bit later in the year). Find a great deal on a cruise & use some $ for that & save money to be prepared for the move, which you prob. will do at some point.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I still don't know what I am going to do. Originally it was going to be a B2B 7 night on the Imagination, (help out to Platinum). But now I am thinking I may just do a 4 or 5 night cruise. That would cut down on some of the cost and then I can still enjoy my addiction.

For those who were commenting on not knowing my financial status. Basically, I work in a government job, making REALLY good money, (not to brag). I am working over these holidays, so I make triple time on any hours actually worked on the stat holiday. When its all said and done I will have 53 extra hours of pay coming to me, spread over 2 cheques. This will not affect my ability to pay my bills or save a little.

Do a short cruise,,save rest. As of now every port( like the US) is having hard times. Your money will give you a great time and help someone who needs money. BTW I put my whole cruise on my Carnival Card,,get double miles,,and pay it off (95%) in 30 days, so intrest does not matter. Enjoy life,,take a break!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I still don't know what I am going to do. Originally it was going to be a B2B 7 night on the Imagination, (help out to Platinum). But now I am thinking I may just do a 4 or 5 night cruise. That would cut down on some of the cost and then I can still enjoy my addiction.

For those who were commenting on not knowing my financial status. Basically, I work in a government job, making REALLY good money, (not to brag). I am working over these holidays, so I make triple time on any hours actually worked on the stat holiday. When its all said and done I will have 53 extra hours of pay coming to me, spread over 2 cheques. This will not affect my ability to pay my bills or save a little.

Would Suze Orman say you can afford it? :D

http://www.suzeorman.com/igsbase/igstemplate.cfm?SRC=SP&SRCN=bac_affordit&GnavID=42

Do you have savings enough for 3-6 months of living expenses? Do you have a retirement plan? Enough insurance? In other words, is this truly disposable income? If yes to these questions, I'd say go on a cruise! If no, then you should save it. :)

I am working over these holidays, so I make triple time on any hours actually worked on the stat holiday. When its all said and done I will have 53 extra hours of pay coming to me, spread over 2 cheques. This will not affect my ability to pay my bills or save a little.

SPEND IT BABY!!!! Firm believer in not having extra $ be "must" $ or else you'll be forced forever to work OT, even when you don't want it. Do something with that money that is a treat for yourself...you earned it! Bless those gov't or civil service jobs...that's the direction I keep pushing my son to go towards. Private industry they'd tell you be glad you have a job & try to make you work as straight time.

Economic experts recommend that you have 2 months of expenses saved in the off chance something happens. This is a discretionary fund that is untouchable except in an emergency. Especially in today's weird economy, we've actually bumped that up to 3 months in our discretionary fund. That being said, how you spend your money is your business. I would raise my eyebrows if you said you had no money saved at all and want to spend all this extra on a trip. However, that's just me. If you choose not to save and use it all to cruise, who am I to tell you that is upsurd???? Or, if you choose to save it all and not sail, that is also your business. It always makes me wonder why people ask, "What would you do" questions in regards to things like child raising or spending money. I often wonder if 90% say, "Spend it," and they have no money saved for an emergency whatsoever, they'd use that as an "excuse" to sail by saying, "See? 'Everyone' says we should go." I think you should do what is right for your family and not what we think is right for your family. Just my $.02

Gill food for thought. I'm a nurse and work in an acute care hospital.

I had a patient who was 72 years old, she and her husband had been very healthy and were very active. BOOM she had a stroke, no more travel, no more of chasing dreams. Her husband and I spent alot of time when I was doing her cares discussing cruises. I told him that my husband and I really loved to cruise but it was very expensive and we should be socking the money away for retirement.

He said "you know you can put money away for retirement so you can do those things you want when you get to retire, but there is nothing guaranteeing you that you will be healthy or even alive to enjoy those things, you should travel and see the sights while you're young and healthy because no one can tell what tomorrow will bring"

I think of him every time I book a cruise, I work a little overtime and put it on my credit card at the time of booking and I make sure I get it paid off before I go.

My answer to you is, you work hard for your money, why would you not take down time to enjoy yourself? There is so much stress in life and you need to recharge from that, will you be able to enjoy it "later on down the road"? and if so where is your guarantee? I think you should do exactly what your heart tells you to, why depend on others opinions of what you do with YOUR hard earned money?

Good luck in your decision, Carole

I have come to the decision that my life is now, and if I can afford it, then I'm going to do it. You never know when a lifetime is over. So I say if you can afford it, then go for it. I'm not advocating spending irresponsibly, just enjoying life as best as possible while still putting aside for the future.

I have come to the decision that my life is now, and if I can afford it, then I'm going to do it. You never know when a lifetime is over. So I say if you can afford it, then go for it. I'm not advocating spending irresponsibly, just enjoying life as best as possible while still putting aside for the future.

I totally agree ;) Well said..

If you're a government worker, your job is pretty secure. You have extra money coming in due to hard work. I say HAVE FUN with it!! Enjoy! Not to be grim here, but death or illness can come at any time - as long as you don't hurt yourself financially or put yourself into debt - DO IT! ;)

ps - I am talking from experience - DH and I were in a motorcycle accident this past summer. We're lucky to be alive and walking and talking. Things happen.

Gill food for thought. I'm a nurse and work in an acute care hospital.

I had a patient who was 72 years old, she and her husband had been very healthy and were very active. BOOM she had a stroke, no more travel, no more of chasing dreams. Her husband and I spent alot of time when I was doing her cares discussing cruises. I told him that my husband and I really loved to cruise but it was very expensive and we should be socking the money away for retirement.

He said "you know you can put money away for retirement so you can do those things you want when you get to retire, but there is nothing guaranteeing you that you will be healthy or even alive to enjoy those things, you should travel and see the sights while you're young and healthy because no one can tell what tomorrow will bring"

I think of him every time I book a cruise, I work a little overtime and put it on my credit card at the time of booking and I make sure I get it paid off before I go.

My answer to you is, you work hard for your money, why would you not take down time to enjoy yourself? There is so much stress in life and you need to recharge from that, will you be able to enjoy it "later on down the road"? and if so where is your guarantee? I think you should do exactly what your heart tells you to, why depend on others opinions of what you do with YOUR hard earned money?

Good luck in your decision, Carole

Trust me, I know how short life can be. My father passed away at the age of 39 from a brain aneurysm. I could bet anything he never did all he wanted to in life.

My job is very secure, I am in a union. My job isn't going anywhere, and I have a provincial retirement savings. Its a little different than what you Americans have but its a pension plan where I will get 70% salary based on my 5 best years, plus I have my own RRSP's on the go. I wouldn't say I am well off but I am comfortable.

I have flip flop moments, of oh just go and then 5 minutes later its no don't go. I guess it will all depend on the prices once that first cheque comes in the beginning of January. Flight and cruise prices.

Trust me, I know how short life can be. My father passed away at the age of 39 from a brain aneurysm. I could bet anything he never did all he wanted to in life.

My job is very secure, I am in a union. My job isn't going anywhere, and I have a provincial retirement savings. Its a little different than what you Americans have but its a pension plan where I will get 70% salary based on my 5 best years, plus I have my own RRSP's on the go. I wouldn't say I am well off but I am comfortable.

I have flip flop moments, of oh just go and then 5 minutes later its no don't go. I guess it will all depend on the prices once that first cheque comes in the beginning of January. Flight and cruise prices.

Mind if I ask you an OT question?

With all that you describe as so secure what incentives do you have to work hard? Don't worry, I'm not accusing you of not working hard. I just wonder where and/or what the incentives are to work hard.

Mind if I ask you an OT question?

With all that you describe as so secure what incentives do you have to work hard? Don't worry, I'm not accusing you of not working hard. I just wonder where and/or what the incentives are to work hard.

Well its kinda a different situation. I am a Paramedic, so there is always a level of expectation in care for our patients. If there aren't any calls then there isn't any work and we can get some down time, sometimes its crazy busy and we don't stop all shift and sometimes we can get a little relaxing in. In Canada, the Paramedics who work for the municipal services are much better paid than our counterparts in the US, most of which are run by private companies. I don't think I would be doing this job for less than $10 an hour like a lot do down there. For us its one call at a time, so it isn't necessarily about working hard. But we do continuing medical education twice a year and most move up in levels as time progresses. So, I can't say there is incentive to work hard, rather more of a level of care we SHOULD provide.

Archived