Mariners' Medallion Presentation on Maasdam..........

sail7seas

Because there were so many Mariners on our Maasdam cruise, they ran two brunches/lunches. One on each of our two sea days at the start of the cruise. There was only one more sea day so they had to do it early in the cruise. We went on the second day and it was lovely. Captain, Hotel Manager and CD had a reception line as we all entered the dining room and greeted us all. It was open seating and we were taken to a lovely table for four which we shared with a pleasant couple from Texas. Very enjoyable.

Lunch was great and they poured wine. DH had no problem asking for and receiving a second glass. I saw stewards continuously walking around the tables pouring as requested. Anyone who says they could not get a glass was mistaken.

But there was no medal award at that luncheon.

Maasdam's great Hotel Manager, Firmin van Walle, and wonderful Captain, Henk Draper, did a fabulous job of how to handle awarding and recognizing medal holders.

They ran a great cocktail party on Tuesday near the end of our cruise. They invited all people who held medallions and those who were to receive one. During the party, Captain spoke and then called forward each for photos and a greeting from Hotel Manager and Captain.

We thought this a lovely compromise between the Traditional Party many of us long time cruisers are accustomed to from the Show Lounge and the now held Luncheons. This was a perfect bridge, if you will. DH and I have our gold medals and share a photo with Captain, Hotel Manager and those with gold medallions. The photo was delivered to us and we are happy to have it.

Whoever thought of this idea, good going. We LOVE IT. Many ships officers attended so another chance to chat with them. Also a chance to chat with other medal holders that we never had before. Usually the party was the first anyone knew who had cruised enough to have a medallion and the cruise was over by then. This way, we knew anyone at the party had cruised a lot and it was fun sharing ship/cruise stories. The do you know/do you remember game? :)

Aah, I was wondering about this. The way you describe it is the way it was also held on the Statendam last week. We received an invitation to the Van Gogh lounge one evening, but it wasnt clear what it was about. After we arrived we figured out it was the award ceremony. It was very nicely done. To our surprise we received 100 day medallions (we each have 2 already!).

I also used JimV's recorder to record him and Ruth presenting the Captain and HM with slippers. I hope I didnt mess it up too much!

We had the VIP party in the Crows Nest, and the medallion award event in the Van Gogh lounge - just in one corner of the lower level. There were also two Mariner's brunches, but we didnt make them.

Sail, when we were on the Maasdam in October the VIP party was in the Hudson room as well. I agree they had a great display of hors d'ouerves and desserts.

KK, the cocktail party by the pool sounds very nice.

I've attended 2 mariner brunches before and just loved them. The last one on the Statendam was much less impressive. I had to pretty much tackle the wine steward to get a glass of wine at the before party. Forget about getting appetizer. He passed them to everyone but me. Before I could ask he was long gone. I made the mistake of ordering quiche and I could barely find it on my plate. They did pass around a fair bit of wine at the brunch however. I would be very reluctant to attend this function again based on my last experience.

Our party was in the Hudson Room where the VIP party is often held and there was open bar with hors d'ouerves and desserts. Very nicely done IMO

We also had an open bar.

On our cruise there was no way that over 300 medal holders could have fit into the Hudson Room.

Ours was very lovely as well. We loved being able to move around and talk to a lot of people.

I've attended 2 mariner brunches before and just loved them. The last one on the Statendam was much less impressive. I had to pretty much tackle the wine steward to get a glass of wine at the before party. Forget about getting appetizer. He passed them to everyone but me. Before I could ask he was long gone. I made the mistake of ordering quiche and I could barely find it on my plate. They did pass around a fair bit of wine at the brunch however. I would be very reluctant to attend this function again based on my last experience.

We have been to a couple of the lunches were you got just 1 glass of wine at the awards function and just 1 glass at the table.

We tried the quiche this last time -- the first week it was delicious. The second week it was mainly onion. Both weeks it was a good size.

DH and I have been talking and we are starting to think that we probably won't be attending these functions much anymore as well.

We have been to a couple of the lunches were you got just 1 glass of wine at the awards function and just 1 glass at the table.

We tried the quiche this last time -- the first week it was delicious. The second week it was mainly onion. Both weeks it was a good size.

DH and I have been talking and we are starting to think that we probably won't be attending these functions much anymore as well.

My dinner waiter told me they had a run on quiche that day and there was a big discussion about it with the waiters after the brunch. My waiter told me that many times he is embarrassed at some of the small portions he is asked to serve.

We also had an open bar.

On our cruise there was no way that over 300 medal holders could have fit into the Hudson Room.

Ours was very lovely as well. We loved being able to move around and talk to a lot of people.

My guess is there were about 130 - 150 people at our Medal Holders Cocktail Party. Maybe I heard that is the number invited but perhaps a few didn't attend.

Plenty of room to move around and chat here and there.

I always have to work so hard to get my DSO to attend almost ANY shipboard activity. Once he gets on the ship, it's "give me my book, a wine card and a pillow and I'll see you at dinner."

After dragging him to some of the "Mariner Meet & Greet" functions he's now put his foot down. The last two we went to were held in the Theatre and were simply awful.

Although - we heard the luncheon on our last cruise was quite a bit different. If I can't convince him to go to the one on our next cruise in March, we'll probably have to skip one more until it's time to get OUR 100 day medals. He'll HAVE to go to that one (even if I have to slip something into his wine ;-) ).

<SIGH>

IIf I can't convince him to go to the one on our next cruise in March, we'll probably have to skip one more until it's time to get OUR 100 day medals.

If he doesn't want to go, and you do, why can't you just go without him? :confused:

If he doesn't want to go, and you do, why can't you just go without him? :confused:

Well, I'd go without him, that's not really a problem.

It's just more fun dragging him along & listening to him gripe. He prides himself on being a curmudgeon. What's the point of being one if you don't have anything to gripe about? (Said griping being done back in the Stateroom. No need to spoil other's fun!)

And these luncheons sound like a greatly improved way to handle the ceremony. - Worth giving it a shot!

Most of the luncheons, they serve wine???

I've never heard of one where they didn't serve wine.

No evidence that has ever happend to the best of my knowledge.

Yes......wine is served and I believe I saw a few bloody marys and cocktails. :D

Archived