Buying liquor to take home

warmwinds

The one word answer is NO. On international flights, you can carry on booze purchased at the airport duty free (as long as you don't have to go through security anywhere else), but that would not apply here. The only alternative is to pack in checked luggage. Last summer I brought a couple of bottles back from Europe, wrapped up in my dirty laundry, without incident. So, it is up to you to decide whether the savings are worth the risk.

No, I guess not. We live in a state with state-run (read very expensive) liquor prices but not worth it to risk it in luggage. It was always a pain to carry that box anyway, so I guess that's a good thing! I thought that would be the answer but the duty-free/sealed box had me wondering. Thanks.

One thing to keep in mind regarding booze and international flights.

If you are flying, say, from a Caribbean country with booze you bought in a duty free shop in the airport (inside the "sterile area"), you will get your booze as you board your plane and will have no problems at all.

BUT, if you connect to another flight within the USA, say Miami (American) Atlanta (Delta), Charlotte (US Air) or Chicago (United), you will be required to c claim your luggage at the connecting airport, clear customs, then check all luggage again.

You will no longer be permitted to carry the booze on board because you will go through another TSA screening as if you were originating at the connecting airport.

Therefore you will be required to check your duty free booze, either by jamming it into your luggage or by checking it as an additional checked item...and will have to pay whatever additional fees are assessed.

FOUND THIS ONLINE:

By fall 2009, the TSA thinks it will have the capability to ease the 3-1-1 rule, although passengers would still be required to remove liquids containers from their carry-on bags and have them scanned separately by X-ray machines.

By the end of 2010, removing liquids from bags will no longer be necessary. Passengers may then keep liquids as they move through airport checkpoints.

The lifting of restrictions in the United States will likely occur together with airports in Canada, the EU and Australia, which imposed similar restrictions on liquids two years ago when intelligence reports hinted of plots to use liquid-based explosives to bomb long-haul flights such as those over the Atlantic Ocean.

I use Styrofoam wine shippers and put the wine in as a piece of check baggage -- here's what they look like. http://www.uline.com/BL_5450/Styrofoam-Wine-Shippers Most wine shops should have them. I've used them from Sonoma and Napa, and even brought wine back from Italy a couple of times. Even if you have to bring it back as excess baggage, it's cheaper than the $150-200 that they charge for mailing the wine back.

I'm taking an empty box on my Transatlantic next April and filling it up and bringing back on the flight home from Rome.

The one word answer is NO. On international flights, you can carry on booze purchased at the airport duty free (as long as you don't have to go through security anywhere else), but that would not apply here. The only alternative is to pack in checked luggage. Last summer I brought a couple of bottles back from Europe, wrapped up in my dirty laundry, without incident. So, it is up to you to decide whether the savings are worth the risk.

Interesting, we were flying back from Greece last sept and bought wine in duty-free-the cashier asked for our passport and said since we were traveling in the US we could NOT bring the wine as a carry-on despite the fact that we purchased it in the airport-we encountered this in Costa Rica as well, they took away a water bottle that I bought from a vending machine AT THE GATE!!! I would err on the side of caution and check every bottle of liquid over 3oz. A little bubble wrap is all you need.

Archived