San francisco to australia

bigs2man

My parents did this cruise on p&o a few years back. Was january / February time. They had very heavy seas out of San fransico for a few days and was then plain sailing and very pleasent south of honolulu.

They said bora bora was their favorite port and sailing into Sydney harbour at sunrise looked amazing on the video.

A few years ago we did the LA to Sydney cruise on the Star Princess. What a wonderful month that was. Although I love sea days, the DH isn't that fond of them, but this cruise was the best of both worlds.

Lots and lots of varied countries and cultures around every bend along with lots of sea days inbetween.

If I had the chance to do it again, I would not hesitate.

We sailed San Francisco to Sydney, Sep 2000, on last voyage of Sky Princess as a Princess ship, and loved the trip. That particular cruise was 27 nights.

It was billed as a WW2 Memories Cruise, and most of the port stops were connected with the War in the South Pacific.

We had special guest lecturers and special excursions, and it was very well done.

It was a wonderful trip, and one I would like to repeat.

h3rjp mentions doing San Francisco to Sydney on P&O (UK).

Every year P&O (UK) sends two ships out from Southampton to circumnavigate the globe, one eastbound and westbound.

It is possible, some years, depending on specific itineraries, to catch one of the ships in either Los Angeles or San Francisco, sail to Australia, have a week or 10 days "down under", then catch the other ship back to the Left Coast of the US. That I would love to do!

P&O (UK) advertises it as a "boomerang cruise".

We did the Seattle to Sydney in 2007 which stopped in SF.

We loved it - loved those sea days and even my kids (9 and 13 at the time) loved the sea days. I was worried they would be a bit bored but not once did they say they were.

Loved most of the ports too. Hopefully we get to do it again some time:D:)

We completed this trip in late October on the Dawn and it was wonderful. We loved the ship, the ports and the introduction to the various cultures. And the scenery on some of the South Pacific islands is spectacular, although I don't know which ones are on the itinerary you may be considering.

We didn't find the sea days too much, but then, we've done several transatlantics and are used to them. We'd do this trip again in a heartbeat!!

We also did the Dawn this year (September/October) and it was fantastic. Last year we did the Sapphire Sydney to LA in April/May - obviously that was great too as we repeated this year.

Personally we loved travelling west because it meant we picked up an hour on many nights due to the time changes (in the end we lost a day). Travelling from Sydney to the US means you lose an hour on many nights so sometimes I felt sleep deprived!

You do need to like sea days (we do) and be prepared maybe for some less than perfect seas and weather (on both trips ours were perfect) and this trip comes with our highest recommendation. Princess scholarships@sea are great on long trips because you get some really knowledgeable speakers who do a series of talks.

Beryl

We did Sydney to LA in 2007 on the Sapphire also and had a great time and would recommend it. Enjoyed the sea days, crossing the Equator and the International Date Line. If you have a chance, go for it, I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

If we could find some extra $$$$$ we would love to do the Sydney to LA or reverse. I actually been getting prices, DH would have to win Publishing clearing House first. :D. Also looking at downsizing it, but that means Air both ways, something we didn't want to do. Right now I am getting around $7201 PP with air, Hotel, Taxes.

We sailed Sydney to San Francisco on the Diamond Princess in 2006 and had the greatest time. The ports were beautiful, ship was wonderful and we met a great bunch of people. The sea days were fabulous and all in all, I can't imagine why you wouldn't love it. We would do it again for sure!

We are jumping on the Dawn in Southampton in August 2009 to do the second leg of her world trip. Really looking forward to that! unfortunately we weren't able to do the whole trip this time as we are still working! Cheers and Happy New Year, Meg

Archived