Good Bye to Dutch night

iluvcruzin

We did have the hats but our table mates, who had not cruised with HAl previously, did not know the significance of those silly hats.
No opinion one way or the other on Dutch night. Last Thanksgiving while aboard the Golden Princess we had the pleasure of looking down upon some diners sitting windowside on the Zuid. Not knowing anything about HAL, and being in the Thanksgiving spirit as we were, we all thought they were Pilgrim's hats! :o

I know there's another thread on Dutch night but since it was older I thought I'd start a new one.

HAL discontinued Dutch night starting on our sailing of the Maasdam which ended yesterday. It was supposed to be on the night we stopped in San Juan. When I asked the head waiter about it he told me that due to complaints filed by passengers, they have discountinued this event. Passengers filled out on the comment cards that they should do all nationalities and not just Dutch. The cruiseline opted to drop it all together.

Just sharing the info..

Having experienced Dutch Night only on the new Westerdam, I don't think they are giving up much! It certainly was far from the high spot on the cruise.

As the British and the Dutch have always been good friends and allies, I think they should replace it with British night. MENU: fish & chips, bangers and mash, toad in the hole, cock o` leekie, mince & neeps, and for dessert, spotted dick, jam roly poly, clootie dumpling and a good cuppa...doesn`t that entice you all.....jean :cool: :cool:

As the British and the Dutch have always been good friends and allies, I think they should replace it with British night. MENU: fish & chips, bangers and mash, toad in the hole, cock o` leekie, mince & neeps, and for dessert, spotted dick, jam roly poly, clootie dumpling and a good cuppa...doesn`t that entice you all.....jean :cool: :cool:

Saw a painting of the Dutch fleet sail up the Thames to dispute the "always".. Smart enough to sell the Dutch American colonies to them before the colonials got restless...

I think they were disputing the menu...

I must admit I have heard negative things about Dutch Night over the years, but I always got a sirloin that night. I will never complain about steak of any kind.

Himself

Sole.. some argue the best/mildest fish... Filet Mignon or sirloin as beef dish and they complained... maybe it was the hats that ruined too many perms...

Just returned from 7 day carribean on the Oosterdam. Dutch night was not listed on the menu and there were no "Dutch" entrees. We did have the hats but our table mates, who had not cruised with HAl previously, did not know the significance of those silly hats.

Were you on the 10/31 sailing? We had the same issue. We were going to plan alternative dining for Dutch night since we had read so many negative reviews concerning it. There was no announcement in the daily schedule and we didn't know it was Dutch night until we got to the dining room and the silly hats were at our table. Fortunately we were able to find something on the menu we enjoyed. Our wait staff in no way acknowledged "Dutch Night". If we had not sailed on HAL before we would not know what was going on.:confused:

Sounds good Jean! :D

Just found out they are now going to call it International Night, like they did when we first started cruising with HAL over 20 years ago.

I enjoyed Dutch night myself, and now I am really disappointed.

It's been reported that "International" night doesn't include chocolate tulips!!!:eek:

Say it isn't so, we can take alot of changes, but don't take our chocolate!!!!!:eek: :eek:

The fish and chips should be served in newspaper to make it authentic.:rolleyes:

They must be phasing it out slowly because last week on the Oosterdam they called it "International Night", but we still had out Dutch hats and caps. But there was nothing remotely Dutch on the menu that I could see. It was, however, an excellent dinner and sorry to report I can't remember what I ate that night.

More on food overall when I write my review.

I asked Panji, our waiter, whatever happened to the Chocolate Tulip and he simply told me "no tulip". I must say the chocolate mousse dessert I had in its place was amazing.

Lisa - please post whether they have it for your cruise on the Ryndam and let us know if they will have it for ours - we were really looking forward to it! I know Mary told you they had it last week, if they do it for you this week then next week hopefully they'll have it for us - I wanted to get pictures of us wearing those hats! :(

Yes, on the Oosterdam last week they absolutely did have pea soup and herring. And the pea soup was delicious. I just don't consider that Dutch, per se. So I'm sure many of the items remain. But they also (at least I think it was that night) offered Indonesian food ... hence the new name International Night.

Archived