Good Bye to Dutch night

iluvcruzin

I know there's another thread on Dutch night but since it was older I thought I'd start a new one.

HAL discontinued Dutch night starting on our sailing of the Maasdam which ended yesterday. It was supposed to be on the night we stopped in San Juan. When I asked the head waiter about it he told me that due to complaints filed by passengers, they have discountinued this event. Passengers filled out on the comment cards that they should do all nationalities and not just Dutch. The cruiseline opted to drop it all together.

Just sharing the info..

To my understanding the Ryndam cruise this week is having a Dutch Night and it is tonight. Mary had emailed me Sunday and told me what days were formal and informal and casual and siad that Wednesday was going to be Dutch Night.

I will let you know what it does next week, my guess it will be Monday like it was for tjcletsgo last week when they did the Sea of Cortez.

I liked Dutch Night until they started changing the menu. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Dutch Night was not the problem, but the change in menu. :rolleyes:

Just returned from 7 day carribean on the Oosterdam. Dutch night was not listed on the menu and there were no "Dutch" entrees. We did have the hats but our table mates, who had not cruised with HAl previously, did not know the significance of those silly hats.

As I mentioned in a couple of my posts, we did have Dutch Night on our 21 day cruise on the Statendam. It was listed in the daily program and the menus did reflect the Dutch titles for the most part (also posted the menu). And the hats were at the tables when we entered the dining room.

As far as HAL recognizing Italian night, French night, etc., no great emphasis was placed on them. We got a little music in the dining room but not all the decorations that we used to see in previous years.

HAL discontinued Dutch night starting on our sailing of the Maasdam which ended yesterday. It was supposed to be on the night we stopped in San Juan. When I asked the head waiter about it he told me that due to complaints filed by passengers, they have discountinued this event. Passengers filled out on the comment cards that they should do all nationalities and not just Dutch. The cruiseline opted to drop it all together.

Oh, aren't they being ethnically considerate! And, at the same time, saving a few pennies per pax on the hats.

I wonder when they'll start charging for each pat of butter in the Lido?

:rolleyes: -dave

When I asked the head waiter about it he told me that due to complaints filed by passengers, they have discountinued this event. Passengers filled out on the comment cards that they should do all nationalities and not just Dutch.

You're kidding, right???

That's like going on a Costa ship, and complaining that they serve pasta. I just don't get some of these morons. People like that should stay home.

You're kidding, right???
I'm not kidding Vic. This was what the head waiter said. I was looking for "Dutch" type of food but there was none on the menu which is why I asked. I guess it was American night as we had a nice sirloin strip steak and whipped potatoes.

Marc could vouch on the change but he ate at the Pinnacle that night.

Oh good grief. :rolleyes: And perhaps they should change their name from the terribly un-politically correct and un-inclusive Holland America Line to Loony Toons, so as to better compete with Disney.

On the Prinsendam, we had Dutch Night, as well as Spanish, French, Italian, Greek and Turkish theme dinners to match whatever region we were in. All with decorations (national flags and such) and all delicious.

In March on the Oosterdam I couldn't tell you what night, if any, was Dutch night. As far as I can figure it was the night, if they had one, when we were in Cozumel until 11 PM. Interestingly that was the same night that they held the pool side grill. Missed that too because we decided to eat at Senor Frogs on shore. Compared to previous HAL cruises they really kind of downplayed the whole thing and I don't recall anybody mentioning it afterwards. At the time I didn't think much about it.

Oh good grief. :rolleyes: And perhaps they should change their name from the terribly un-politically correct and un-inclusive Holland America Line to Loony Toons, so as to better compete with Disney.

On the Prinsendam, we had Dutch Night, as well as Spanish, French, Italian, Greek and Turkish theme dinners to match whatever region we were in. All with decorations (national flags and such) and all delicious.

First someone knocks the fact that their are DUTCH connections to Holland America, and now you insult Canadian currency

the LOONY ($1) and TOONY ($2).

I've been saving my Loonies & Toonies all year to eat at HAL's theme dinners... (Jan 15 Veendam)

I'm sick and tired of everyone complaining about the Dutch... one insult leads to another:

Dutch uncle, Dutch Treat, and now no Dutch dinner...

I'm not kidding Vic. This was what the head waiter said. I was looking for "Dutch" type of food but there was none on the menu which is why I asked. I guess it was American night as we had a nice sirloin strip steak and whipped potatoes.

Marc could vouch on the change but he ate at the Pinnacle that night.

I just posted that in another thread, before I noticed this one.

I will really miss Dutch night. On the Statendam, we missed Dutch night because we had a special dinner with officers. That night, our friendly bartender placed our hats outside our room, with the islands we visited on that trip, and beautiful decorations of flowers. We were so impressed with them, I had them framed and they hang in our livingroom. It is a shame people mess with tradition.

That's like going on a Costa ship, and complaining that they serve pasta. I just don't get some of these morons. People like that should stay home.
Read enough of CC, and you soon realise that there are plenty of them on ships. (No names, no pack drill.) They're the ones who cruise because they really want to stay at home rather than travel.

It's irritating that they wreck it for those of us who cruise because we want to (a) cruise and (b) travel, though not necessarily in that order.

Oh, well, another tradition down the drain. One of the reasons I enjoyed HAL is that the ships were big on tradition, i.e. dress code, beautiful antiques. I thought Dutch night was fun and there was always something on the menu that was delicious. The people who didn't like it, always had the choice of eating in the Pinnacle or in the Lido.

Archived